Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  August 2013

TSE August 2013

Re: List Co-Owner Message #3

"Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:49:16 -0500

text/plain

1. I got copies of most of the old server's archives in various formats.  I
think I can find them again. I'll have to find out how the messages are
stored on the new list server. I'll see what I can find out in LSOFT's
documentation. I don't anticipate changing the format of the messages to be
a big deal (but then it is software.)

2. Someone volunteer to come up with some preliminary text for a description
of TSE (please add that it isn't like Jolly Roger) and I'll add it to my
"Exploring T.S. Eliot" portion of my website.  Since my site is established
that would give the page some extra search engine points.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:41:25 +0000, Materer, Timothy J.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanks for the helpful discussion of the problems on the list. I will try
to address them, but the co-owner of the list, Greg Foster, is the person
who founded the list and the web page. He understands all the technicalities
involved. Unfortunately, he lost interest in the list and deleted his
membership in it years ago. Yet he is proud of having created the list and
often tells me he will address the problems I have been bringing to him. (I
handle trivial problems such as adding new members to the list and changing
addresses when needed.) There are two major problems, or three if one
considers lack of general participation a problem.

>1. The problem we have been trying to address recently is the loss of the
pre-2001 archives. Why they were eliminated by the Missouri listserv is a
mystery to me. Perhaps they just thought that anything pre-21st century was
insignificant! Greg had the archives backed up, but not in a form that could
easily uploaded--apparently. For some months, Greg seemed to be working on
putting them in the right format, and a few early archives have been
restored. However, Greg has not been answering my emails lately, so I don't
know what is happening right now.

>2. A long-standing problem has been the loss of the TSE web page. Again,
I'm not sure why things appear and disappear in the depths of cyberspace. It
may have involved  the new listserv software the university bought into, or
it may have fallen victim to one of their campaigns to tidy up university
web space. Once it was gone, Greg was reluctant to put up a new one. His
feeling, I think, may have been partly influenced by the Eliot estate
refusing permission for the site to feature Greg's concordance to the
complete poetic works.

>For years, I kept expecting him to restore the page. When it didn't happen,
I suggested to David Chinitz, then president of the TSE Society, that it be
moved to the society's web page.  David wasn't eager to take it on, but
might have if Greg hadn't felt that it would be too bad for it to leave
Mizzou, and I felt that way too. But still no web page. I designed one
myself, and Greg very rightly pointed out that it was amateurish. I then
offered $200 to some of Greg's students to design a page, but Greg told me
that they too lost interest!

>3. Critical mass? It would be nice to have the participation we had in the
20th century. But most lists never had that kind of participation. My James
Merrill list goes months without a message. But when a new publication or
conference or news item comes up, the list is invaluable for its members,
the vast majority of whom are so-called lurkers. It might help to think of
the list as a Bulletin Board rather than a Discussion List. As for the
current value of the list, I have learned a great deal from the active
members who alerted us to new publications, and real discussion frequently
does take place that is rare on any of the many other lists I belong to.
--Concerning the members who have left the list, the complaint I hear at TSE
meetings is that there are too many trivial posts. If that is true (trying
to be tactful here), it's not a problem for me since I filter my posts into
a separate mail box (one can also request a single daily digest post); and
(which is crucial to relevant discussion) as long as Subject lines are
accurate. The separate mail box or digest form allows one to screen the
posts and open only those of list members or with subject lines that
interest you.

>How then to deal with problems 1 and 2? When the univ. starts up again, and
I can reach people in person, I'll let you know.