]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GLOBAL-L Home

GLOBAL-L  August 2013

GLOBAL-L August 2013

SV: [GLOBAL-L] Guardian editor's advice to reporters: stay away from Heathrow transit lounges

Jens Sejer Andersen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:20:03 +0200

text/plain

Dear all

The detention of Miranda made me think of an incident some years ago. It is definitely not of the size and scope of the current challenge, but it points to some earlier cooperation between intelligence officers in a field where you would not expect it.

A Canadian ophthalmologist, professor Christopher A. Shaw, was held back in Heathrow Airport on his way to our Play the Game 2009 conference in Coventry. Shaw was an outspoken critic of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, primarily because of spiraling costs (almost ten times the original budget). His book "Five Ring Circus: Myths and Realities of the Olympic Games" had caused some unrest among Canadian taxpayers. At Heathrow, he was questioned for one hour about the purpose of his visit. Were they just rehearsing for 2012, and who told them to pick this guy?

In response to the treatment of Chris Shaw, who had already been confronted at home by Canadian police because of his book, we drafted the Coventry Declaration:
http://www.playthegame.org/news/detailed/coventry-declaration-approved-by-play-the-game-delegates-4445.html

Inspired by our colleague Laura Robinson, the Vancouver City Council some weeks later approved parts of the declaration:
http://www.playthegame.org/news/detailed/human-rights-are-no-game-4468.html

Just before the 2010 Olympics, a critical journalist was denied entrance to Canada
http://www.playthegame.org/news/detailed/reporter-denied-entrance-at-canadian-border-4654.html

It will be interesting to see how the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics will welcome independent reporters. Very little is written in Russia about the explosive price of these games (estimated 50,000,000,000 USD) that seems to have surpassed the magnificent Beijing 2008 Games, something everybody believed unthinkable in our lifetime. It is not difficult to guess why Russian reporters keep a distance to this issue.

Will Heathrow security staff be as helpful to the Russian hosts as to their transatlantic friends? It remains to be seen.

Best regards

Jens Sejer Andersen
International Director
www.playthegame.org/2013