]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  September 2012, Week 3

MOBIRDS-L September 2012, Week 3

FW: SLAS Carlyle Pelagic Trip Report-9/15 & 16 2012

Mike Grant <[log in to unmask]>

Mike Grant <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:42:08 -0500

text/plain

Posted for Joe Eades by Mike Grant.

Subject: RE: SLAS Carlyle Pelagic Trip Report-9/15 & 16 2012

SLAS CARLYLE PELAGIC TRIP REPORT-SEPT 15 & 16, 2012 Unfortunately, we were
unable to find any "pelagic" species this year but had very good to
excellent birding overall.  The land bird migration was very good on
Saturday and turned to excellent on Sunday.  We listed 16 species of warbler
on Saturday, 17 on Sunday and totaled 20 for the weekend.  Warbler
highlights included A CAPE MAY and a male BLACK-THROATED BLUE (both on
Sunday).

Saturday began bright and early at the Carlyle McDonald's parking lot where
we ticked off our first few species, EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE, Killdeer,
American Kestrel and the ubiquitous Ring-billed Gulls.  We disembarked at
7:30 am and began the day's birding at the boat ramp near the west end of
the dam.  There were many Ring-billed Gulls on the beach and at least 40
FORESTER'S TERNS.  Two birds showed the head pattern of COMMON TERN and
there were 4 or 5 CASPIAN TERNS in the group as well.  A lone HERRING GULL
was spotted on a buoy.  The days' first highlight, a MERLIN materialized
overhead out of the scattering flock of birds.  We than took a route to
include some field habitat.  Mike Thelan spotted a NORTHERN HARRIER and our
first stop yielded dozens of HORNED LARKS and more Killdeer.  The highlight
of this stop was a single PALM WARBLER in the bushes along the open fields.
Further along on a loop drive, we spotted a BOBOLINK perched atop a stalk
and then several more in a nearby field.  A final tally on the flock came to
50+ birds.  Our next stop was the Cherokee Hiking Trial at Hazlett State
Park.  The weather was cool and we had morning sun that faded into overcast
for the rest of the day.  We would stay here searching for migrant land
birds for the next three hours.  Migrants were around, but it took some time
to find groups that revealed the diversity of birds present.  We enjoyed
nice views of a very clean, bright apparent adult male YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER.  The most abundant migrant warbler, as is often the case, was
AMERICAN REDSTART, next in abundance was probably TENNESSEE WARBLER, though
it didn't reach that status until we ran into a flock or 25-30 in one area.
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was abundant as was MAGNOLIA.  Multiple GOLDEN-WINGED
WARBLERS were seen.  EASTERN WOOD PEWEE was abundant.  YELLOW-THROATED VIREO
was heard continually.  WHITE-EYED VIREO was heard occasionally.  It was
surprising to see multiple PHILADELPHIA VIREOS and GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSES as
each is usually uncommon.  Jim Malone found a VEERY.  RED-HEADED WOODPECKER
was seen overhead in flight several times.  Large flocks of CEDAR WAXWINGS
were attacking fruit bearing trees and vines.  A lone EASTERN KINGBIRD was
seen on a tree top.  A SUMMER TANAGER "pic-it-uped".   Half the group
lingered at a brushy area of the woods where a Gray Dogwood was laden with
fruit.  The area was loaded with migrants.  The best bird there was a CANADA
WARBLER.  Those in the woods missed another highlight as a MISSISSIPPI KITE
soared over the parking lot.  We weren't really done with the process of
finding and filtering through the migrant land birds but alas it was time
for lunch ahead of the boat ride.

The boat ride was choppy due to wind and waves and we got a bit wet!  We
kept it slow and enjoyed the raucous gang of gulls whirling around the boat
whenever we eased up on the throttle.  The pelagic portion did allow great
views of a first cycle GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL and a second cycle LESSER
BLACK-BAKCED GULL.  BLACK, FORESTER'S, COMMON and CASPIAN TERN were also
seen.  The boat ride was fun and the garrulous flocks of gulls are always
entertaining.

Susan Eaton met us with brownies when we came back off the lake.  Is this
birding community great or what?  We decide to cover some new ground after
the boat ride and headed to South Shores State Park.  Our first stop put us
into some new birds, with the day's first (surprisingly) BLACK-THROATED
GREEN WARBLER, a WILSON'S WEARBLER and a GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER. An
Empidonax flycatcher showed the marks of YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER and
ultimately, after the fact, we identified it as such. Towards dusk we added
COMMON NIGHTHAWK and BARRED OWL.  We did a "lakewatch" from Point 18, but it
was late in the day and all the gulls looked like Lesser Black backed at
first and Ross' later because of dimming and rosy light.  I estimated 10,000
TREE SWALLOWS blanketing the several square miles of the lake's surface.
Almost all the swallows we saw while on the lake were Tree Swallows.

We witnessed the most beautiful sunset imaginable and spend most of the last
30 minutes of our day watching the sky ablaze.  This was tortuous for Bill
Duncan who brought his camera set up for bird photography but not his
landscape lenses.  It was during this time that Mike Thelen spotted a couple
of shorebirds in a snag along the riprap.  They were SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, the
last bird of the day.  Seven or eight of us enjoyed dinner together at the
Lighthouse restaurant and compiled our list.

Sunday's group was much smaller but we enjoyed some truly great birding.
Overwhelming numbers of migrant warblers were moving everywhere; it was
impossible to see and identify them all AND we liked it!  We saw a lot of
BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS on Sunday along with more of most of the species seen
on Saturday.  An immature male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK munching on Flowering
Dogwood berries at very close range was a treat.  We had two sightings of
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH on Sunday, whereas it was heard only on Saturday.  We
did not see Palm, Canada or Nashville but these were more than made up for
by the Cape May and Black-throated Blue.  Thanks to Mike Grant for spotting
the Black-throated Blue and sharing it with the rest of us immediately after
we called it a day and went our separate ways!  We had extended excellent
looks at close range.  I also saw a probable Yellow-rumped and Dan Kassebaum
photographed one (in juvenal plumage) in Hazlett on Sunday.  It was
surprising to hear so many warblers singing.  We heard Tennessee, American
Restart and Northern Parula and perhaps others.  Some of the singing seemed
more emphatic than the "whisper" songs sometimes heard in the fall.  I ended
up with a few chigger bites. So if you're itching...Maybe I strayed off the
path a little too often.

Day list totals were 102 for Saturday and 91 for Sunday with a weekend total
of 114.  Even more species were seen over the weekend by birders not
associated with our trip.  It rained overnight on Saturday night and this
seemed to produce more of a fallout effect.  For example, covering the same
ground, we saw 6 SCARLET TANAGERS on Sunday whereas we saw none on Saturday.

Links:
Dan Kassebaum's website (Carlyle weekend bird list and photos):
http://www.htc.net/~kdan/report.htm

Al Smith's Photos:
http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Birding-2012-September/2012-09-15-Carlyle-Pe
lagic/25403625_zFBWvB#!i=2091127095&k=dvz5vPK

Joe Eades-SLAS Carlyle Pelagic Trip Leader Kirkwood MO