]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  September 2012

TSE September 2012

Re: Parking lots in inappropriate places

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:56:54 -0500

text/plain

This  did not happen by accident. By 1970 two things were happening. (1) The
growth of what some pundits began to call "too much democracy." Secondly,
the wage share in the national income had grown considerably and the rate of
profit had fallen. The two phenomena were not unrelated. (As late as 1978,
when reality had already changed, the earlier attitude was expressed in the
popular song, "Take this job and shove it." In the 1970s, then, a
counter-offensive began in the area of mass culture: Read about it in Edward
P. Morgan, _What Really Happened to the 1960s: How Mass Media Culture Failed
American Democracy_. (Two notes: [1] Note the preposition _to_ the 1960s;
[2] Ted informed me in a post that the word "failed" in the sub-title was
not his but his publishers.)  These drives met with no effective resistance,
and the wage share (including benefits such as Social Security) began to
stagnate or dro. This campaign went into high gear with Carter's
deregulation of the air lines and appointment  of Volcker as Fed Chairman,
resulting in the sado-monetarism of the late '70s & early '80s. One symptom
of the change that had occurred: From 1830 through the 1970s, every decade
the real wage of u.s. workers incrased over the previous decade. (This was
true even in the Depression era of the 1930s: prices fell more than wages.
But from the '70s on real wages were stagnant or falling. From the 80th
through the 98th percentile, real income remained stagnant. Only in the
upper 2 percentage did income increase, and even there the bul of the
increase was within the upper 1/2 of 1 percent. At levels below the 80th
percentile real income declined precipitously, partly compensated for by
women entering the working force, partly through debt.

There is much more to the story but I'll leave it at that. It is worth
noting that 60 years ago no one needed to carry government-issued ID with
photograph.

Carrol

P.S. One anecdote (I do not know whether it is a joke or an actual
incident.) A French and an American woman were on a tour bus in Spain, and
began to chat. Why, the American woman wanted to know, is medical care so
much better in France than in the U.S. "In America," the French woman said,
"the people are afraid of the government. In France the government is afraid
of the people." That may no longer be true in France; we shall see.

Of
> Tom Gray
> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:26 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Parking lots in inappropriate places
>
> In the area that I live in Canada, the logging industry has collapsed with
the rise
> of the Canadian dollar. The Canadian dollar is now a petrocurrency and
other
> industires which dry on exports are highly affected by the price of oil.
This has toi

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/mar/20/eliot-east-coker-housing-estates