Re: Meeting the stranger

Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sat, 7 Jul 2012 10:06:41 +1000

text/plain

I have been thinking a little about Eliot on Marston which CR raised recently. I am generally in trouble with these essays although I find the Marlowe one very good.  I think this is  mostly because the Marlowe  is so specifically focused on the consequences of the novelties of versification and doesn't allude to propositions such as the one about Marston having a nebulous plane of meaning and so on.  Eliot makes a similar sort of strategic observation about Marlowe I guess when he says that The Jew of Malta needs to be seen as farce not tragedy of blood but at least that is a very clearly articulated local point.  So when Eliot took on the ELizabethan dramatists - if one can use the term for  writings over many years for various journalistic moments- I wonder how much the agenda was beholding to the notion that the conscious present is an awareness of the past which the past could not know in itself. If he does take this tack I wonder what to do with his observation that Marston would be more highly valued if the great ship were not Shakespearean but rather of Racine. And I really can't reconcile his stated notion "the moment we enter the Elizabethan period we praise or condemn plays according to the usual Elizabethan criteria".

While I take your point about the  historicism disease Carrol I guess I would baulk at the meaning of 'explain' as a comprehensive or encyclopaedic stance. In practical terms I am persuaded by Maxwell Smart negotiating with the Indian Chief about to launch the giant arrow at Washington " If we take the promises of the past and reality of the present thinking of the future ..let her rip Red Cloud"

Pete D