Re: OT - Book Art

P <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:17:19 -0700

text/plain

Thanks, Rickard. I just thought that a lover of Eliot's work might be a lover of this art which expresses the tradition of literature & the book in a unique way. McLuhan observed that when a form of communication obsolesces, it tends to become the content of a new form. The novel becomes a movie, for instance. So the book becomes a sculpture. The horse for transportation becomes the movie horse,&c. I think this process suggests a way to understand the complex cultural phenomenon we with Eliot call tradition.