Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SERIES-L Home

SERIES-L  July 2012

SERIES-L July 2012

Re: Encyclopedia Brown series

Jenifer K Marquardt <[log in to unmask]>

Bibliographic Series Action Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:17:42 +0000

text/plain

Hi, Michael!

Think of this situation with a different author, say Shakespeare.  The fact that many publishers want to sell books by this author doesn't mean that we want to dump all of the publishers books into one giant series and have lots and lots of cross references.  I think that these different series do help the patron to sort out what is going on - if they care.  With the Shakespeare example, it is easy to see that some publishers books might be better annotated, have wonderful etchings, etc.  And if I, the patron, read one from the series with the beautiful etchings, I might like to read another.

So, while it seems like the Sobol series are pretty redundant, the aim of the series authority records is actually to help keep everything tidy.  This helps folks her are in collection development, acquisitions, and cataloging too.

And, we can't be expected to make individual judgements as to which author's works are important and which are not in the authority file.  Locally, of course, you can group the Sobol titles together in one series if you need to.

I hope that this helps!

Jenifer

Jenifer K. Marquardt
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-1641