Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SERIES-L Home

SERIES-L  July 2012

SERIES-L July 2012

Re: deleted series record

Jenifer K Marquardt <[log in to unmask]>

Bibliographic Series Action Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:30:57 +0000

text/plain

The no redirect from a deleted record happens occasionally.  Sometimes the series was created in error, and there really is not a series at all.  Before I delete a series statement from my local catalog, I usually go back and look at the LC or OCLC bib. records for the titles I hold  to see if/how they have been updated.  And I pull the pieces from our stacks to look at.  Those steps usually resolve my questions.  I sometimes hold a printout to check back later, but even then I only check back once after several months.  I have the luxury of being able to create a local series if I need it in-house, though, which makes it easy for me if there is ambiguity.

I hope this helps.

Jenifer

Jenifer K. Marquardt
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-1641