MOBIRDS-L January 2012, Week 2

Rio Grande Valley report #3

Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:18:17 -0600

text/plain

We are now 8 people making the rounds of favorite spots, returning to some so the newcomers can see some special birds.  We've gotten in so late that we're out of ooomph, then out the door early to head upriver.

January 7
We walked the trails at Sabal Palm Grove. Some background here:
Sabal Palm Grove is owned by the National Audubon Society, Texas Audubon (state office).  The 30 acre sanctuary was closed by National Audubon when the border wall was built, cutting it off from the rest of the United States of America. Local people worked very hard to reverse that decision (the closure).

A nine month-long negotiation, initiated by the non-profit Gorgas Science Foundation, associated with the University of Texas-Brownsville & Texas Southmost Community College, resulted in an agreement.  Sabal Palm was reopened in January, 2011, managed and operated by the Gorgas Science Foundation (National Audubon retains ownership).

We saw a female Anna's Hummingbird at the visitor center headquarter feeders, a Gray Hawk on a trail, waterfowl on the resaca, but missed the Dusky-capped Flycatcher.  No kingbirds were along the lines where we are accustomed to seeing them.

Late in the afternoon, we returned to Boca Chica, the beach just north of the mouth of the Rio Grande.  We perused gulls and terns, but found no unusual ones.  The tide was coming in,was so high (near full moon) and light was fading, so we did not go to the river mouth to the south.

For those who've not been to Boca Chica and who have limited experience and perhaps some trepidation driving on sand, please note that driving on the wet, packed sand of the beach here is simple and safe.  No, we do not use four-wheel drive.  We just follow the tracks of the many fishermen and other birders and beach gawkers.  Stay in the wet sand.

January 8
We took the tram ride at Resaca de la Palma State Park.  This is the unit (one of 9) of the World Birding Center that is just west of Brownsville, off Hwy. 281 on New Carmen Avenue.  It's a large park, with many walking trails.  We had good looks at White-tailed Kites and Olive Sparrows.  We reserved spaces on the evening tram (in hopes of owls) for Friday.

We had scheduled dinner with Harold and Kathleen Anderson at Pirate's Landing in Port Isabel, so headed for South Padre Island.  The fishing access on Hwy. 48 had a good mix.  Marbled Godwits, a single Long-billed Curlew, Black Skimmers, avocets & stilts.

The pond in front of the Sharaton is full of Redheads.  At the Hang Glider Beach (first left beyond the SPI Convention Centre), we were treated to good comparative views of a Gull-billed Tern standing close to a Forster's.  Still no small plovers, not even a single Semipalmated.

We again heard Clapper Rail.  Reid Allen spotted a Least Bittern that we all missed.

January 9
Back to Salineno.  Cactus Wren adorned a fencepost on the way in. Every birder should spend a couple of hours at this miraculous site--made miraculous by loving attentiveness by volunteers who live at the site in the winter, carrying on the 20+ year devotion of the DeWinds.

We weren't blessed with a sighting of the young male Rose-throated Becard that Pam Allen saw two days before, but did get to see the Brown Jay grab its hotdog as we were eating our lunch.  The "usuals" were there--3 sp. of oriole, 4 sp. dove, Long-billed Thrasher, Bewick's Wren, etc.  Spotted Towhee showed, as well as a White-throated Sparrow (an unusual visitor to the Valley).

The dirt road at the edge of town did produce a few sparrows:  White-crowned, Black-throated, Cassin's and Brewer's.

At Starr County Park all got good looks at 4 Verdin.  The volunteer-maintained feeding station at Falcon State Park (this is next to the RVs at the recreation center--not the blind nearby) treated us to a covey of Scaled Quail.  A roadrunner posed in the campground.

January 10
An early start took us back to Bentsen Rio Grande State Park.  We hopped on the tram for the short trip to the Nature Center (formerly the gate house) to watch the feeders.  The Clay-colored Thrushes were already there.  We put people looking at the feeders on both sides.  This and the use of the FRS radios were well-rewarded, as the Black-vented Oriole showed on the side opposite where we saw it previously.

A stroll down the main road with people with good ears gave us great looks at a Northern Beardless Tyrannulet.  A tip from friend, Reid Allen gave dynamite views of a roosting gray morph Eastern Screech-owl.  When queried by our people and a couple from Wisconsin as to how in the world I spotted it, I was sorely tempted to reply, "Magic".  But I 'fessed up and gave Reid the credit of passing on the tip.

We picnicked at La Lomita mission grounds.  Chilly.  Went to Anzalduas County Park that had been under water last year.  It looks great.  We walked for Sprague's Pipit, but found none.  No warbler flock.

At Quinta Mazatlan (McAllen's site for the World Birding Center), we waited long for the Tropical Parula that Eric and Bonnie had seen on their way downriver, but did not see it.  Curve-billed Thrasher and Clay-colored Thrushes were there.

We finished the day with a return to the parakeet and parrot sites in north McAllen and saw both.

January 11
Back to Frontera Audubon Sanctuary in Weslaco.  This is such a great site.  Friendly people, birder-friendly, well-kept feeders. The morning's search for the Golden-crowned Warbler was a disappointment for the people who had not seen it. I got 2 semi-decent looks; others got only glimpses.  Most of us did seen the female Crimson-collared Grosbeak.

At Estero Llano Grande SP (World Birding Center south side of Weslaco), Eric found the Pauraque that was not roosting where it usually is (whew!  I was embarrassed at my inability to find it).  That was lifer #60 for Eric on the trip.  Barb is at 30.

Also at Estero were Cave Swallows, Cinnamon Teal, and (seen only by Barb in our group) a Black-headed Grosbeak.

Edge Wade
Brownsville, TX