]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  November 2011

TSE November 2011

Re: Eliot's 4 English drawing room plays

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:55:49 -0500

text/plain

On the other hand, the significant emotion of art was what Eliot was
after, and some points could be raised in defense of his efforts. He was
under no constriction to present emotions other than what he was
interested in. If his plays were not fully successful, there are other
places to look besides to a deficiency in the poet's appreciation of
human emotions, the claim of which is at best highly problematic anyhow.
One large bit of territory to investigate might be what Katherine Anne
Porter called "the failure of love in the Western world." For the poet
or artist who perceives that overarching failure, religious ecstasy or
despair may very well be the proper themes of his poetry/plays. And not
assenting to this may well reflect much more on the critic than on the
poet/playwright. Isn't this something that critics should keep in mind
and be sensitive to, that there judgments may reveal more about them
than about their alleged subject? Too, Eliot was trying to revive verse
plays and wrote somewhere (don't remember whether it was about the plays
or the poetry) about the advantage of having a form delivered developed
into your poetic hands vs. the difficulties of trying to (re)establish a
form. I think this is a more promising area in which to look for Eliot's
difficulties than to his appreciation of human emotion. Accompanying
this lack of appreciation in Eliot criticism for these rather large
factors, and possibly a part of it, is the strain of consumerism it
exhibits, as if creating satisfactory verse or poetry were rather like
turning on the hot and cold taps just right to get the most comfortable
mixture for the bath water. While I suppose just about everyone would
agree that that is not what creating art is about, I can't help
wondering why then people persist in talking about it that way.

Ken A