LISTSERV Archives

SERIES-L Home

SERIES-L  September 2011

SERIES-L September 2011

Re: Juvenile fiction series

Jamie King <[log in to unmask]>

Bibliographic Series Action Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:38:12 -0500

text/plain

I second Mike's assertion that if there isn't a series statement on
the item, it's not appropriate to make one up. Michael/Jeanne, a
couple of your examples appear to have had explicit series statements
(Cam Jansen, Marvin Redpost). I think Mercy Watson was a stretch, and
I probably wouldn't have considered it a series statement just because
"Mercy Watson" was typographically bigger in "Mercy Watson fights
crime." In that and similar cases where there was numbering though, I
would really try hard to find justification for a series. I would use
LCRI 1.6A2 to look on the dust jacket even and use that. I did this
locally the other day with the Mallory books by Laurie Friedman. They
all have "Mallory" in the title, but it's not always the first word.
The book I had listed something like 15 previous titles on the back
cover (numbered), but I couldn't find any series statement. However,
the jacket had something like "Laurie Friedman has written the Mallory
series ..." So I used 490 Mallory. Mike or someone else, is this
doable under PCC guidelines? I think it follows the LCRI.

Regarding "Theodosia and ..." I don't think that's any different from
Harry Potter. I looked at our copies, and there's nothing resembling a
series statement anywhere. The first one has "Book 1" on the spine so
that would be in a quoted note. The others don't even have numbering
though.

I hope that helps.

--
Jamie King