Re: How CACHE/SPARKS work

Ann Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Jul 2011 17:10:28 -0500

text/plain

You have to love those a-ha moments!  To me, double-entry means the physical
act of entering data twice.  I hate it - it doubles the chance of errors.
Sometimes it is necessary and that I understand.  I think that physical act
is what Danny was referring to (although I am certainly not 100% sure
anymore) and it is a complaint I've heard from folks long before eBird ever
existed.  Now, if you are talking about duplicate records in eBird, that's a
whole different story.  If I may speak for him, Scott (from the eBird team)
is not concerned about that because eBird can often get duplicate records
from three friends birding together who all go home and enter their day's
checklist in eBird.  I suspect the eBird analysis tools take such things
into consideration.  Scott, if you want to add any further clarification,
please do.

Ann Johnson
Norwalk, IA

I think the confusion here is over the definition of 'double entry.' I enter
an observation on a particular date into CACHE/SPARKS and the same
observation into eBird, but since that  same CACHE/SPARKS data eventually
goes to eBird, does that create a double entry on eBird?
Well, yes it does, but as you said in an off-list message to me, it's OK
because the data is used for different purposes. Hope this helps to clarify.

Kevin Wehner
Kansas City

On 7/1/11, Ann Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Mea culpa!  Good communication skills are highly under-rated and I
> guess I need some more work on mine.  I have now heard from two people
> who totally misunderstood my answer to Danny's question.  The question
> was simply "how do I avoid double-entry [if I use both eBird and
> CACHE/SPARKS]" and my answer was "you don't; [you enter it both
> places]".  It's a simple fact of life and in no way was intended to
> reflect upon anyone's choice of tools to use to keep their lists.  Now
> I need to go enter some sightings into AviSys, eBird, the Iowa BBA site,
and Iowa field reports.  Sheesh - quadruple entry!
> It is what it is.  Sorry for any misunderstandings.
>

> Ann Johnson
> Norwalk, IA

CACHE/SPARKS.