4th Annual KHS Vertebrate Pentathlon

"Miller, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>

Miller, Terry

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:24:51 -0500

text/plain

The 4th annual Kearney HS Vertebrate Pentathlon occurred yesterday in the very high heat index environment.    My team beat Mike Niles team 455 to 454!!  We are now even at 2 and 2 for the event.

Participants:  Terry L. Miller: students - Alex Meinders, Caleb Hoffman, Georgia Hungate
	               Mike Niles: students - Allison Sommer, Ashley Self, Levi Caraway

 A brief explanation of the Vertebrate Pentathlon for those unfamiliar with it:

Mike Niles and I each take three high school students and start the Vertebrate Pentathlon at 5:00 a.m. and end at 8:00 p.m...  We travel within approximately 20 miles of Kearney.  The goal is to see and/or capture representatives of the five vertebrate classes (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals)…hence Vertebrate Pentathlon.  Two members of the team must identify the species for it to count.   All fish species must be caught (no boats allowed).  Amphibians and Reptiles receive points for visual or auditory identification plus additional points if captured.  Birds and Mammals are simply seen or heard.  The finding of active bird nests is also a category.   All species are immediately released after photographing.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  For those of you who have expressed concern to the Missouri Dept. of Conservation over our activities in the Vertebrate Pentathlon….I contacted them after last year’s competition and explained exactly what we do and we received their blessing and encouragement to make such a strong and ethical impact upon our youth concerning the love of nature and our proper stewardship!!   The potential for a Missouri Conservationist article has also been discussed….

Now for the combined results:

7 Fish Species:

1. Bluegill
2. Large-mouthed Bass
3. Black Bullhead
4. Channel Catfish
5. Creek Chub
6. Green Sunfish
7. Long-eared Sunfish ****  (a beautiful specimen caught at Tryst Falls park!!!)

6 Amphibian Species:  (all species were caught and released)

1. American Toad
2. Blanchard’s Cricket Frog
3. Bullfrog
4. Gray Treefrog
5. Spring Peeper
6. Western Chorus Frog

8 Reptile Species:  (* indicates captured and released)

1.  E. Garter Snake
2.  Red-sided Garter Snake *
3.  N. Water Snake *
4.  Western Painted Turtle
5.  E. Collared Lizard *
6.  Ornate Box turtle *
7.  Black Rat snake
8.  Five-lined Skink

12 bird nests:  (simply observed active nesting behavior/evidence)

1.  House Wren
2.  Chipping Sparrow
3.  Barn Swallow
4.  Cliff Swallow
5.  Common Grackle
6.  House Sparrow
7.  E. Starling
8.  E. Phoebe
9.  Great Blue Heron
10.  E. Bluebird
11.  American Robin
12.  Purple Martin

7 mammal species:

1.  White-tailed deer
2.  Raccoon
3.  Gray Squirrel
4.  E. Fox Squirrel
5.  Cottontail
6.  Muskrat
7. Mink (adult with 6 young at Cooley Lake CA!! Mike Niles group saw them and said it was AWESOME!!)

80 Bird Species:

1.  Canada Geese
2.  Wood Duck
3.  Mallard
4.  Hooded Merganser (Cooley Lake CA)
5.  Wild Turkey
6.  Double-crested Cormorant (Smithville Lake)
7.  Great Blue Heron
8.  Green Heron
9.  Turkey Vulture
10.  Red-tailed Hawk
11.  American Kestrel
12.  American Coot (Cooley Lake CA)
13.  Killdeer
14.  Spotted Sandpiper
15.  Ring-billed Gull (Smithville Lake)
16.  Rock Pigeon
17.  Eurasian Collared Dove
18.  Mourning Dove
19.  Yellow-billed Cuckoo
20.  Barred Owl
21.  Common Nighthawk
22.  Whip-poor-will (Watkin’s Mill SP)
23.  Chimney Swift
24.  Ruby-throated Hummingbird
25.  Red-headed Woodpecker
26.  Red-bellied Woodpecker
27.  Downy Woodpecker
28.  N. Flicker
29.  E. Wood Pewee
30.  small flycatcher species?
31.  E. Phoebe
32.  Great Crested Flycatcher
33.  Western Kingbird (probably saw more Westerns than Easterns!!)
34.  Eastern Kingbird
35.  Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (west side of Smithville lake)
36.  Loggerhead Shrike (FOY) ( Mike Niles spotted it approximately 4 miles east of Liberty Hills Golf course on “H” highway)
37.  Blue Jay
38.  American Crow
39.  Horned Lark
40.  Purple Martin
41.  Tree Swallow
42.  N. Rough-winged Swallow
43.  Cliff Swallow
44.  Barn Swallow
45.  Black-capped Chickadee
46.  Tufted Titmouse
47.  White-breasted Nuthatch
48.  House Wren
49.  Blue gray Gnatcatcher
50.  E. Bluebird
51.  Wood Thrush
52.  American Robin
53.  Gray Catbird
54.  N. Mockingbird
55.  Brown Thrasher
56.  E. Starling
57.  Cedar Waxwing
58.  N. Parula
59.  Kentucky Warbler (Watkin’s Mill SP)
60.  Yellow-breasted Chat (Watkin’s Mill SP)
61.  E. Towhee
62.  Am. Tree Sparrow
63.  Chipping Sparrow
64.  Field Sparrow
65.  Lark Sparrow
66.  Summer Tanager
67.  N. Cardinal
68.  Indigo Bunting
69.  Dickcissel (probably the most numerous bird)
70.  Bobolink (just southeast of Kearney HS about 2 miles)
71.  Red-winged Blackbird
72.  E. Meadowlark
73.  Common Grackle
74.  Great-tailed Grackle
75.  Brown-headed Cowbird
76.  Orchard Oriole
77.  Baltimore Oriole
78.  House Finch
79.  American Goldfinch
80.  House Sparrow

In summary, those who have not experienced such a day educating our youth cannot imagine the satisfaction and joy that is generated!!  We spent over an hour, often way too loud, discussing the day amongst each other at the local Subway store. We had each student and teacher describe their best moments and species.   As we shared, the great union with nature and with each other was being amplified with each story and with everyone’s uncontrollable smiles!!

 The above categories are but lists that cannot express the numerous experiences we shared such as…

- the catching of the E. Collared lizard and then releasing it and watching it run away like a T. Rex!
- the Bobolinks, in full sunlight, mating on the barb wire fence a few feet away!
- the American Goldfinch bursting with light next to the dark mud near a puddle!
-the elegance of watching a Wood thrush in great light a few feet away!
-the arrival of two Barred Owls on nearby limbs and calling back to us to the amazement of the kids!
-the panicked grab of a fishing pole by Mike Niles, ripping the flesh off the end of his thumb, in order to save the pole and let a girl land a huge carp only to have it break brand new 30 lb test line in about 20 seconds!!
- the totally surprising catch of a 4 inch Long-eared Sunfish at Tryst Falls and being enraptured by its striking colors and beauty!
-the finding of transitional spring peepers (less than a ½ inch) with their small tails remaining as they crawled across the top of thick duckweed on a pond!
-the amazement of a student obtaining a significant rash on his arm from walking through weeds and finding out that rubbing jewelweed sap on it totally relieved his irritation!
-the seeing an American Kestrel in perfect evening light fly up from a large hay bale nearby with a small snake in its talons!
-the seeing of a Turkey Vulture refusing to move from its road kill and remaining within 2 feet of the car!
- the girl waving from a distance to Mike Niles, trying to get him to see the six baby minks “loping” in ant-like fashion right in front of her at Cooley Lake CA!!

In closing, Mike Niles and I agree that this day is by far the pinnacle day in nature for us each year!!!

 I thank God for all of his creation and its beauty!  I thank him for creating man with the ability to appreciate and somewhat comprehend the awesomeness of nature and of our lives.  And finally, I thank him for the great opportunity to educate his children!!

Have a great summer!!

Terry L. Miller
Kearney HS
Clay Co., MO