]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  March 2011, Week 4

MOBIRDS-L March 2011, Week 4

Re: NO SIGHTING -- Comment on 4 letter bird codes

Walter Wehtje <[log in to unmask]>

Walter Wehtje <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:16:24 -0500

text/plain

There's a very simple solution to this issue; use the auto-correct
function in your word processing program to automatically turn your
nrws into a Northern Rough-winged Swallow. That way the four-letter
code becomes a useful short-hand and doesn't require other to decipher
the acronyms in order to know what you saw. Just add the auto-correct
instructions to each species as you write your notes and over time
you'll find that it saves a lot of typing. I work with Whooping Cranes
and never write out the full name, instead I write whcr for singular
and whcrs for plural--MS Word does the rest.

Walter Wehtje
Wood River, NE