GLOBAL-L October 2010

Re: final statement draft

Lucy Komisar <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Oct 2010 07:09:22 -0600

text/plain

Well done, please add my name to the list
Lucy Komisar, investigative journalist, thekomisarscoop.com/ (U.S.)

Suggest we put countries in parens after the names

re these suggestions

to publish the list and ask for other signatures: the request for other
signatures should be at the end of the statement, with information about
how to sign on. Of course this will be "published" in the sense it gets
sent to media and we also put it on all relevant websites.

We need a deadline for initial signatures before the statement is released
and sent to other places for signatures.

Collection of signatures is more effective after some critical mass of
signatures already exist. AGREE

It could be maybe important to put most renowned and respected journalists
the front of the list during the first phase. DISAGREE. I AM VERY SICK OF
CELEBRITY EVERYTHING! WE ARE ALL EQUALLY VALUED AND VALUABLE. How about
initially alphabetical order?

LUCY KOMISAR

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:06:13 +0200, HUNTER Mark <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Folks, Nicky Hager has put together a final draft from all these
comments,
> and I think we all owe him large thanks.
>
> Gavin McFadyen, who I see is back on this list, is going to take charge
of
> publicising in US and UK.  I will send a draft to AFP in France.
>
> I will sign as Mark Lee Hunter, author, "Story-Based Inquiry: A Manual
for
> Investigative Reporters" (UNESCO 2009).  If anyone has ideas about how
> simplify signing, please advise!
>
> Draft is as follows:
>
> Julian Assange, founder of the whistle-blowing organisation Wikileaks,
is
> being angrily criticised and threatened for his part in huge leaks of
> military documents on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (the 'War
Diaries').
> He is being accused of irresponsibly releasing confidential military
> information, of endangering lives of people named in the leaked military
> reports and even of espionage. Some media organisations have joined in
this
> criticism.
>
> We, journalists and journalist organisations from many countries,
express
> our support for Mr Assange and Wikileaks. We believe that Mr Assange has
> made an outstanding contribution to transparency and accountability on
the
> Afghanistan and Iraq wars, subjects where transparency and
accountability
> has been severely restricted by government secrecy and media control. He
is
> being attacked for releasing information that should never have been
> withheld from the public.
>
> We believe Wikileaks had the right to post confidential military
documents
> because it was in the interest of the public to know what was happening.
> The documents show evidence that the US Government has misled the public
> about activities in Iraq and Afghanistan and that war crimes may have
been
> committed.
>
> Has Wikileaks endangered lives? There was legitimate criticism of
> Wikileaks for not vetting the Afghanistan documents fully enough, with
some
> names such as informers being released. Fortunately there is no evidence
> that anyone has been injured or killed as a result. We note that
Wikileaks

(www.reportingproject.net
> <http://www.reportingproject.net/> )
> Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
> +387 33 560 042 (office)
> +387 61 139 403 (mobile)
>

> ________________________________

When
> the statistics were being culled from these logs, these details were
used
> to enable corroboration with existing media sources, Iraqi government
> releases etc.  The Bureau of Investigative Journalism who recieved logs
> from WikiLeaks, and like the NYTimes, The Guardian, LeMonde, Iraq Body
> Count and Der Spiegel is entirely independent of the source and no one
> connected in any way to this second stage redaction process has voiced
any
> complaints of which I am aware.  All of this work had nothing to do with
> WikiLeaks and was vetted again by many lawyers prior to the release of
the
> few redacted documents that accompanied the analysis.
>
> On the deaths as a result of the Afghan logs, there is indeed an
> interested party, the force that recruited or used the names that
escaped
> the original redaction would have most to gain by publicising any
deaths.
> And that's the Coalition forces.  And so far despite claims that the
> Taliban were scouring the logs for these sources, months have passed and
> there is thankfully nothing.
>
> And not easily tracked.  Its those who have fixed addresses in
particular
> villages who were in danger of being identified, not non-geographically
> fixed names.  It's precisely because they had a known address that put
them
> in danger.  Also reading the logs is not easy, even for English
speakers,
> its much military jargon, code words - so much so that the Guardian
> published a glossary for their own teams just to make a dent in the
> translations.
>
> On 29 Oct 2010, at 18:03, Drew Sullivan wrote:
>

> 	I'd suggest that sentence be added in.  But I don't like the opinion
that
> 	the story outweighs our professional responsibility.  I think you can
do
> 	both and that's my argument here. And not everyone agrees they did a
far
> 	better job.  And to say there is no evidence that no one has been
killed
> 	is an assumption.  There is no evidence that nobody has not been
killed.
> 	It's not like these people are easily tracked. Or that killers aren't
> 	looking for them now and they won't be killed at some future date.  We
> 	don't know.
>

> 	******************************************************
> 	Drew Sullivan
> 	Advising Editor
> 	Center for Investigative Reporting (www.cin.ba)
> 	Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
> 	(www.reportingproject.net)
> 	Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
> 	+387 33 560 042 (office)
> 	+387 61 139 403 (mobile)