FW: kiddie series heads up

Bryan Baldus <[log in to unmask]>

Bibliographic Series Action Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Aug 2010 15:08:19 -0500

text/plain

 Originally posted to AUTOCAT, Mike Tribby thought this message would be appropriate on the SERIES-L list, and suggested I forward it here:

-----Original Message-----
From: AUTOCAT [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Tribby
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 3:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: kiddie series heads up

Today we have had occasion to change two juvenile series title authority records:
no2010008796 (Was: Salas, Laura Purdie.$tAlphabet fun; Now: A+ Books.$pAlphabet Fun) &
no2010061347 (Was: Sirrine, Carol.$tSnap books.$pGreen crafts; now: Snap books.$pGreen crafts).

We had to change both because the publisher has continued the series with different authors (Catherine Ipeizade for T is for Tina (ISBN: 9781429644624) & H is for honk! (ISBN: 9781429644648) in the Alphabet fun series and Jen Jones for Cool crafts with newspapers, magazines, and junk mail (ISBN: 9781429647649) in the Green crafts series).

In both cases the SARs were set up as author/title rather than under title apparently without contacting the publisher as to whether one author would be writing every book in the series. Not that doing so would guarantee anything since many juvenile book publishers have changed course on this very thing in the past.

We have discussed the vagaries of series authority control onlist many times, and I have fulminated against routinely creating SARs as author/title for mass-produced juvenile titles because this happens all too frequently. But then I enjoy a good fulmination. I would once again strongly advise against creating author/title SARs in this area, especially if one has no word from the publisher that only one author will be used in the run of the series.

Maybe tomorrow we can discuss the profusion of Title/Part title series in juvenile works. My current favorites in this area are the ones for which the subfield a Title has no authority record of its own, but figures in multiple Title/Part title authority records. See Blazers, Snap books, and A+ books for examples. These are all from one publisher, but there are examples from other publishers in the authority file.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:[log in to unmask]

--

AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
E-mail AUTOCAT listowners:             [log in to unmask]