]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GERMAN-CFP-L Home

GERMAN-CFP-L  July 2010

GERMAN-CFP-L July 2010

CFP Reminder: GEFÜHLSWELTEN:Affect, Culture, Community (Deadline July 15; Graduate Student Conference, University of Michigan, November 11-12, 2010)

Joshua Ryan Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:55:23 -0400

text/plain

GEFÜHLSWELTEN: Affect, Culture, Community
Graduate Student Conference
Germanic Languages and Literatures
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
November 11-12, 2010
CFP Deadline: July 15

Keynote Speaker: Claudia Breger, Indiana University

This conference places itself within what has been called the ?affective
turn? of the humanities in order to approach, from the perspective of
German Studies, the processes by which emotions constitute and are
constituted in a collective.  The German historical, social and cultural
context provides an especially fertile and perilous ground for an
investigation into the power of emotions.  We enter recent discussion on
the productive potential of affects and emotions by working through how,
for example, ?fear? and ?love? can incite, subvert or placate.

It is in this sense that we take affect as our starting point for exploring
how emotions emerge as productive, destructive or unintended agents in
relation to collectives and communities.  Following the work of Sara Ahmed,
we wish to consider how emotions are constituted by the subject?s contact
with a given object, even if the object remains unknown, shifting the focus
to the emotional interactions themselves.  This conference looks to the
ways emotions exceed personal control and structure individuals, societies
and even inanimate objects.  We are thus interested in the sites?whether
physical, digital or imagined, local, national, social, or
counter-cultural?where people become affectively bound to one another.
At the same time, we do not forget the limitations of emotions as
historical and political agents, nor do we forget emotional violence.

We invite graduate students from all disciplines to submit proposals for
20-minute papers. Possible topics include:

- ethics, aesthetics and emotion
- affect as ?reality-effect? (Barthes)
- emotion, language and intelligibility
- affect and knowledge making
- memory and affect
- speaking and narrating emotion
- affect, nation and Heimat
- emotional mobs
- the personal as the political
- the work of affect in media, music and art
- visual representations of and engagements with emotion
- affect in religion

Please send abstracts of no more than 250 words by July 15, 2010 to