]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  May 2010, Week 1

MOBIRDS-L May 2010, Week 1

Eagle Bluffs AM 05/01/10 - Wilson's Phalarope, Forster's Tern, and MORE!

Chase Darr <[log in to unmask]>

Chase Darr <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 1 May 2010 20:54:23 -0500

text/plain

Made breakfast for my wife early this morning and then packed up her new
30/200 camera lens (and her) and headed to Eagle Bluffs in hopes of seeing
the White-Faced Ibis.  Well, we didn't see the White-Faced
Ibis...again...but I can by no means call this a bad birding outing.  Not
when we saw six lifers!

The day had already started out well when my wife spotted an Eastern
Bluebird near where the Visitor's Center used to be.  The swallows were
still out en force as well and I got lifer #1: Bank Swallow.  I'm sure I've
seen one before, just haven't ever IDed one, so yippee!  Also present were
Barn Swallows, abundant Cliff and Northern Rough-Winged Swallows, and the
occasional Tree Swallow.  Cliff Swallows absolutely covered the bridge
between Katy Pool and Eagle Bluffs proper.

Katy Pool was relatively shorebird-free except for some nesting Killdeer.
However, the back end of Buck Pool held quite a few treats.  My wife and I
were watching some Lesser Yellowlegs when a man drove up behind us and asked
us what we were looking at.  About that time, I found a pair of small brown
sandpipers in amongst a second group of Lesser Yellowlegs that wound up
being lifer(s) #2: Least Sandpiper.  The man (Steve Do__ <-- I forgot his
last name) drove ahead about 100 yards and then started pointing over the
top of his car to the right as a group of shorebirds lit in the pool beside
him.  We slowly rode up behind him to find lifer(s) #3: 10 Wilson's
Phalarope!  These birds are absolutely gorgeous, and so mild mannered, too.
  They seemed to pay no attention to us and we got a couple of great
pictures of them.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-wilsonsphalarope.png
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-wilsonsphalarope2.png

The rest of the Katy/Buck Pool area was less eventful, but if three lifers
in 30 minutes is uneventful, my life has been pretty boring!

Eagle Bluffs 'proper' was relatively low on ducks, however we did see some
interesting spots: a single Canvasback swimming alone in the distribution
pond, 4 Mallards, a few Lesser Scaup, a few more Northern Shovelers, a pair
of Wood Ducks, and then our (pardon the French) "What the hell?" bird of the
day:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-whatthehellwasthat.png

Ideas we threw around were immature/female Lesser Scaup, female Ruddy Duck,
and a cross-breed of something and something else (haha).  It had a bluish
bill and distinct yellow eyes, mottled brown/white wings, a dark brown
stripe down the back of its neck, white patch over the tail, and was hanging
out with American Coots.  It didn't dive or dunk or do anything special.  It
didn't flush, but did follow the Coots as they swam away from us.  All
expert duck IDers are welcome to comment!

Pool 11 was a haven of Sora (we counted ~50 based on sight and sound from
Pool 11 thru 14/15) and a pair of Virginia Rails.  A pair of vet students
out on an ornithology expedition said they spotted a Yellow Rail before we
got there, but we had no luck relocating it.  Also spotted was an American
Bittern on the other side of the first plow.  Another great spot *in* the
plow was lifer #4: Yellow-headed Blackbird.  Then, Steve drove up and while
we checked out Sora, he spotted lifer #5: Orchard Oriole singing in the rain
from the safety of the trees behind the Pool 11 parking lot.  We couldn't
get a close-up of him as he was almost 100 yards away.  *frown*  As we were
getting back in our cars from Pool 11, lifer #6: Forster's Tern made a pass
over the 2nd one way loop.  This guy made several passes over the middle of
the loop throughout the early afternoon.  He was still flying when we left
that area at about 3pm.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-sora1.png
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-virginiarail.png
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-yellowheadedblackbird.png
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-forsterstern.png
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ninjaphobos/Birds/050110/050110-forsterstern2.png

Driving through the Sapp Track netted us a FOY Indigo Bunting, a trio of
American Goldfinches, a bunch more Sora, Great Blue Herons, and American
Coots, a chattery female Belted Kingfisher, and some songbirds in the scrub
trees behind Pool 15.  Also present were a trio of birds that I can't
identify and couldn't get a spot on.  We heard them multiple times and their
song is what I can only describe as clear (as in not raspy or chattery), yet
guttural laughing.  It wasn't a heron, egret, rail, coot, duck, or warbler.
 The closest I've come to an audio ID is a Least Bittern, but I doubt that's
it.  If anyone else was at Eagle Bluffs and heard a sound like that near the
back of Pool 15, please let me know!

Also, we saw a bird that may have been the Peregrine Falcon.  We only got
fleeting glimpses of it throughout the day, all from the back.  It was
medium sized (larger than a Kestrel, smaller than a Red-Tail) had a
featureless brown back with a square tail with alternating horizontal
dark/light brown stripes.  It did not have a white rump patch, so I know it
was not a Northern Harrier.  I didn't notice a white tip at the end of its
tail, but as I said, we only caught brief glimpses.  Very un-Peregrine-like,
it was close to the ground when we saw it, flying between low-lying
shrubs/trees.  The last time we saw it, it landed amongst some trees in the
Distribution Pond and disappeared.  Those who have seen the Peregrine Falcon
@ Eagle Bluffs, please let me know if this description fits!  Otherwise, we
have to decide between Merlin, Cooper's Hawk, and Sharp-Shinned Hawk.

Somewhere along the way, we picked up a new friend: Steve Paes (different
from earlier Steve), a southern Missouri MDCer who was up for the weekend on
other business.  Turns out, Steve is actually the uncle of one of my wife's
high school best buddies!  What a small world!  We were able to show Steve
around, including the Bittern, Rails, Sora, and a few other great spots for
him.  We were also able to relocate the Wilson's Phalarope in the same
general area of Buck Pool on our way out at ~3:30pm.  So glad we met up with
him as we were able to get him at least 10 lifers today!

In all, we saw 56 species + 2 or 3 "what the hell" birds.  A fantastic day
of birding and got some great pictures!

Hope the rest of you had a great day,
Chase Darr
Columbia, MO