Re: Eliot's religious journey . . .

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:44:34 -0700

text/plain

Dear Listers,

The incipient distaste for the world, evident in the "Observations" of "Prufrock 1917" acquires a grim aspect in 'Ara Vos Prec'/'Poems 1920' which focus on the protagonist's participation in the world's corruption and consequent debasement. It is underscored in the epigraph of "A Cooking Egg":

 "In the thirtieth year of my life when I drank up all my shame",

as also in the following lines of "Gerontion":

 "I have lost my passion: why should I need to keep it
  Since what is kept must be adulterated?
  I have lost my sight, smell, hearing, taste and touch:
  How should I use them for your closer contact?"

The going gets tough, but not without certain redeeming reminders of the pristine glory of True Church and its redemptive character:

 "In the juvescence of the year
  Came Christ the tiger"

 "The tiger springs in the new year. Us he devours."

 "The horses, under the axletree
   Beat up the dawn from Istria
  With even feet."

 "Moins d’une lieue d’ici est Saint Apollinaire
  En Classe, basilique connue des amateurs
  De chapitaux d’acanthe que tournoie le vent."

 "Et Saint Apollinaire, raide et ascétique,
  Vieille usine désaffectée de Dieu, tient encore
  Dans ses pierres écroulantes la forme précise de Byzance."

 "Flesh and blood is weak and frail,
  Susceptible to nervous shock;
  While the True Church can never fail
  For it is based upon a rock."

 "A painter of the Umbrian school
  Designed upon a gesso ground
  The nimbus of the Baptized God.
  The wilderness is cracked and browned

 "But through the water pale and thin
  Still shine the unoffending feet
  And there above the painter set
  The Father and the Paraclete."

 "Under the penitential gates
  Sustained by staring Seraphim
  Where the souls of the devout
  Burn invisible and dim."

 "The nightingales are singing near
  The Convent of the Sacred Heart"

The journey is awesome . . .

Incidentally, nowhere do we find the poet compromising with the aesthetic beauty of art in his zeal to advance his argument. And that's what makes, IMHO, TS Eliot a poet par excellence.

Cheers,
CR