]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  October 2009, Week 2

MOBIRDS-L October 2009, Week 2

Re: Bird feeding: Can we have our cake and eat it, too?

Christina McClarren <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:01:37 -0700

text/plain

I helped restore the first prairie in Forest Park (ironically, near the golf course), have restored the little yard I have in the city to native organic prairie (and yes, there is always a fear the city will decide it has to be cut back - I have had that happen to friends) and if it's extreme to speak the truth, then I am a raving extremist.  Still, after all my years as an activist here in the city of St. Louis,  I am not anti-corporation.  I would say I am pro-accountability.  I like to think of myself as part of a persistance movement, not resistance movement. And I am not into bringing anybody "down."  I am into bringing everybody into empowered mutuality and respect for individuality.

Humans do indeed load their lawns, gardens and golf courses with toxic chemicals...and it's up for debate about who uses more...agriculture or the manicurists.  But that's not the point.   It's due to agri-business that all these chemicals are available, advertised and considered safe to begin with - and that people believe this and use them - those who can afford them.  (Wherever does this manicured lawn and garden fetish come from, anyway? this desire to do an extreme makeover of the planet? Are we that scared of nature, our bodies, our wildness?)

Agri-business ultimately holds the power unless we take it away - and yes, revoke their charters when they try to influence the EPA to say that Round-Up (remember, they are the folks that gave you Dioxin and Agent Orange) is safe...and yes, put their CEO's in jail when they do such harm.  It's their influence over the revolving doors of their board rooms and the governmental regulatory agencies that sees to this continued harm.  Corporations created the regulatory agencies.  Read history.  Here in Missouri, if you pay attention, you can see the directors of the Missouri Conservation Department often ending up on the Board of companies like Doe Run Company, for instance. Doe Run is a lead mining company that has been and continues to be a menace to Missouri's lands.

We can't afford to be naive anymore or afraid to speak the truth.  As far as trying to convince folks by toning myself down and/or talking about more "palatable" options like "partnering" with corporations, I don't want to partner with them.  I want us (we the people) to tell them what they can and can't do, if they decide to get big.  If they'd all stay small, no big deal.  But they are big, we don't have real power over them, and everyone affected by their decisions is not participating in them.  Our power has been usurped.  I say we reclaim it.   Ever read Starhawk's first novel, FIFTH SACRED THING?  Great stuff - great vision.

Her book is described on her website as such:  "Starhawk's epic tale, set in 2048, California. In a time of ecological collapse, when the hideously authoritarian and corporate-driven Stewards have taken control of most of the land and set up an apartheid state, one region has declared itself independent: the Bay Area and points north. Choosing life over guns, they have created a simple but rich ecotopia, where no one wants, nothing is wasted, culture and cooperation are uppermost, and the Four Sacred Things are valued unconditionally. But the Stewards are on the march northward, bent on conquest and appropriation of the precious waters. It’s the love story of Bird the musician and warrior and Madrone the healer, and of Maya, Bird’s grandmother, ninety-eight year old story teller, whose vision provides a way for them to  defend their city from invasion without becoming what they are fighting against."

Yes, my favorite  lead male character of all times is named Bird.

To Angel:  I love the latin phrase "Credendo Vides."  It means "Believing is Seeing," rather than "seeing is believeing."  It's sort of sacrilege in Missouri, the "show-me" state, eh?  But as a burned out old activist myself, I have learned that our response to all the overwhelm we might feel in the face of the truth does not have to be guilt.  It can be love. It's all a matter of perspective.

I am done with guilt - or try to be.  It only serves to drain my energy.  I felt guilty for so long about so much when I first sniffing around for the truth and discovering it - in horror.  I didn't want to know that almost everything I did was harming someone or something somewhere - unnecessarily.  But that's what I discovered.  And I responded as best I could with the full range of feelings I was often experiencing - anger, fear, despair, numbness.  I felt mostly traumatized and shell-shocked by it all after a while. It's a lot to absorb for a small creature like a human. But my love for the planet was too great.  No matter how much I tried to quit looking, my heart kept wanting to figure out how to survive it, kept wanting to continue to witness and respond well to the crisis the planet's facing, kept wanting to figure out how to love birds, not kill them.

I don't have many answers about how to find the way from traumatized or guilty in response to the truth...to relaxed and at peace with the truth. I did take up birding as part of the answer.  I needed to stay balanced in my witnessing.  I needed to witness the magic more.  I was taking in too much of the bad news.  I think it's doing the trick cause I didn't feel guilty about learning about the harm bird feeding does.  I simiply felt empowered to take action.  I said "No" to bird feeding and "Yes" to birding.

I am not done with the truth, nor will I ever be - both the joyous truths and the ugly.  I will continue to explore ways to creatively live with it all and respond to it.  These ain't easy times, gal.  I know that.  And we need the NOW, for sure.  More than ever.  But the truth is never absent from the now.  Trust that you can hold both the beauty and the ugliness of what we do.  It might break your heart, but that's what we need NOW, more than ever - the truth of our broken hearts.  Trust in the truth.  It won't just set you free. It will shatter you as it makes you whole in the process.  And miracles are possible.  I see that in every bird that migrates through.  They are keeping me wanting to live...and keeping me wanting to contribute to the healing and change of my misguided species with as much of the passionate love I have for this place and all its peoples that I can muster.

As Almasy says in the movie THE ENGLISH PATIENT "Every night I cut out my heart. But in the morning it was full again."  I feel lucky to have a love like that...that continues despite living everyday with the full knowledge of being responsible as a species for the biggest mass extinction the earth has ever known...and the rending of the web of life that gave me birth.

Chris McClarren
St. Louis South City