]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  October 2009, Week 2

MOBIRDS-L October 2009, Week 2

Re: Bird feeding: Can we have our cake and eat it, too?

Angel Wintrode <[log in to unmask]>

Angel Wintrode <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:52:06 -0500

text/plain

At what point do we decide, as humans, that all this guilt is bad for US, rather than constantly trying to weigh the costs to other species?  Granted, I love the wildlife, love the birds, and would like to think that I contribute what good that I can to every creature.  But if I have to feel guilty about feeding birds, and feel guilty about the possible ill effects of saving each and every wild animal baby, at what point is the guilty byproduct so detrimental to ME that I can no longer do any good or bad for anyone?  I hear you - don't get me wrong - I'm sure that the seed I buy for birds is grown in some horrible way, and I'm sure that wherever it's grown it was once a great wildlife area that is no more.  I'm sure that feeding cat chow to my baby raccoons who visit each night isn't necessarily good for them either, and I may be impacting them in the wrong ways.  I am not sure, however, what the possibilities are if I were to stop doing both.  Isn't it possible that if we discouraged bird feeding, over time, people would lose the sense of wonder that they currently have with birds?  Isn't it possible that the public at large may eventually lose any semblance of respect that they may currently have for our coexistence with the nature around us?  How many people grow certain plants in their yards because they like what visitors that plant brings with it?  Isn't it possible that even if we stopped buying bird seed from these large manufacturers they would just dream up something even more detrimental to grow and make money from?  I would love to say that people should just grow the things that feed the birds, instead of buying bird seed, but I'm a practical person and I know that many of us (birdfeeders) would never get around to doing so and would either a) cease to feed the birds altogether, or b) fail at growing the things that attract what we like and then end up using harmful things to make it work (ie chemicals, etc).  I can't say that's true though, because I have no way of finding that out.  I'm not raising these points to get answers, but instead to point out that these are UNANSWERABLE questions.  So many different things would have to be predicted correctly in order to reach some sort of conclusion, and there's no way to do that - short of fortune telling, which is still a bit unreliable.  :)

It is possible that we're doing more harm than good by feeding the birds, on a global scale.  It's also possible that the future without bird feeding would have other detrimental effects that we can imagine right now.  There's no way to know.  Science can always make educated guesses, some of those guesses are so well thought out that they are hard to argue with even.  But at the end of the day, no matter how many studies are done, or how much education is behind the guess, the future is unknown, and all we can do is try to enjoy the day - TODAY.  If feeding the birds help us, as humans, do that, then I cannot see the harm.  That's not to say go knock down a forest and build your dream home just to enjoy your day more today.  Obviously, we can try to coexist with nature in unobtrusive ways, but even that word - obtrusive, is subjective.  I hate to think that someday people will not enjoy the nature around us only because the mere process of looking at a tree only makes us think of our own guilt over the trees we have consumed in one way or another.  I personally think that all of this environmental awareness may be starting to go too far.  I agree that we should respect our environment and should avoid destroying it whenever we can, but not to the point that we cannot even enjoy what we have worked to preserve.

Alright...bring it on... I'm sure I've started a war with someone.  :)  I don't mean to, but I know from experience that I tend to do that.

Angel Wintrode
 (636) 492 -1610