]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GERMAN-CFP-L Home

GERMAN-CFP-L  October 2009

GERMAN-CFP-L October 2009

CFP: An die Freude: Approaching “Happiness” in German Contexts (Charlottesville, VA, February 26-28, 2010)

"Schmidt, Olaf" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:28:06 -0500

The Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures and the Corcoran
Department of History of the University of Virginia present

The 17th Annual German Graduate Studies Conference
An die Freude: Approaching “happiness” in German contexts
February 26-28, 2010

We have all heard of “the pursuit of happiness”, “all’s well that ends
well”, and “Shiny Happy People”. Happiness is treated as an allegedly
on-demand commodity, but in our age of financial and environmental crises,
it seems increasingly out of reach. What do we mean when we speak about
happiness? Does it exist? Or is it merely a word, a metaphor for an
ineffable desire?

Recent and past studies on love, melancholy, and anguish often overshadow
scholarly explorations of happiness. This conference investigates
conceptions and functions of happiness in German and German-related
contexts, posing questions such as these: Does happiness play a role in
cultural production? Is it a poetic, social or political construct? Does
happiness have its own logic? Is its structure teleological or dialectical?
In the history of our and other nations, what has happiness meant? Possible
topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:

happiness and happenstance
play as happiness
happiness in crisis
psychoanalysis and happiness
mania and depression
genealogy/histories of happiness
pursuit of happiness
“die laughing”
happy endings
happy-go-lucky figures
Glücksfall/ Glücksfälle
“Friede, Freude, Eierkuchen”
aesthetics of happiness
happiness and semiotics
Freude, Glück = happiness?
happiness as financial well being
well-wishing (Glückwünsche)
happiness and fate
religious ecstasy as happiness
Elysium and Schlaraffenland
Glückseligkeit
happiness and gender

Keynote speaker to be announced. Papers will be selected based on
compatibility. Presentations in German/English should be no longer than 20
minutes. UVA graduate students will offer accommodations. Limited travel
grants may be awarded. Please submit a 250-300 word abstract by December 17,
2009 to the conference organizers:

Gabriel Cooper and Gerrit Roessler
University of Virginia German Department
521 New Cabell Hall, P.O. Box 400125
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4125
Fax: 434-924-6700