Re: Eliot's Suppressed Lecture

Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:24:00 -0800

text/plain

But Eliot was not a former Jew.
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: "O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:08 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot's Suppressed Lecture

I had the impression that he was more sanguine about orthodox Jews than
about "free-thinking" ones only because he viewed the former as
self-segregating and therefore not likely to "adulterate" the homogeneity of
the rest of the population. Is that right? If so, I'm note sure it's
accurate to say that he seems "not to have a problem with orthodox
Judaism"--or at least, I think he seems to have a problem with orthodox
Jews. If someone says that they have no problem with ex-Catholic
Irish-American English professors as long as they don't get too
"free-thinking" or start mixing with other people, I'll think they have a
problem with my type.

Brian