]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  May 2009, Week 2

MOBIRDS-L May 2009, Week 2

My first year of serious birding at mostly Tower Grove

Chris McClarren <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 May 2009 23:13:26 -0700

text/plain

This is rather long but some of you may find it interesting.  I normally like to keep my posts short but...wait and see.  Pardon all spelling errors - I don't use spell check.

I want to thank some folks who've helped me in my quest to study birds and bird ecology this year - and share some highlights of my first year of what I am calling more "serious" birding.  I owe most of my thanks to my mom who has been birding for years (and volunteering at Wildbird Rehabilitation) and finally passed on the birding bug successfully this year by enticing me with a GHO nest find.

But I owe it really to a Red-Headed Woodpecker I was stunned by when I was a young woman.  I don't think birds even registered for me before that event.  Ever since then, I'd wanted to become more serious.  It's just taken a while.  This year was the year.

All the wonderful people I have met and stunning birds I have seen this year have clinched my desire, wherever it leads.  Those who have met me (the woman who had medium length hair then shaved it off - Chris McClarren) know of my eagerness.  I have tried to behave but bird etiquette is so hard for the new - like not waving arms in a thrilled gesture or interrupting or talking too much.  I see a bird and want to gush over it.  I have noticed that this phenomenon doesn't stop with years of experience, it just becomes a quieter gush.  My gushing is like white water at the moment.

This years plan was to tackle learning about some of the migrants -  and mostly the warblers.  I'll move on to others later.  The warblers have been overwhelming enough - but such fun.

I am sad about the numbers declining, but I have always been an eco-activist - and known this.  Part of getting into birding for me is to keep me in touch with the beauty that is left to sustain myself in my work for the earth, witness what might be the last of some species and keep from getting burned out as I keep willing to witness the truth of the news of the ecocide we humans have set off.

This year started out with me first watching the Great Horned Owls on a regular basis raise their two young ones in Tower Grove Park beginning in March and helping rescue the one that stayed grounded too long.  I then decided to check out Gaddy more often on evenings when I couldn't find the owls.

Checking out Gaddy became regular since around the first week in April - after the babies flew the nest.  It was often cold and rainy, but I loved it.  As the migratory season began in April, I finally started writing down what I was seeing around April 20.  Here's how it went.

BTW, I am not listing any bird unless I am 100% sure - I saw lots of birds I could not identify.  If an "expert" was around to verify my find when I was unsure, I considered that acceptable if I saw it well myself.  Some birds I have known for years, but many others are firsts of my life.  I guess you all use the acronym FOL.  BTW, all birds listed below are FOY, since I am focusing on mostly migrants - I think.

All my birding, except for noted exceptions, was done in the later afternoon, early evening dusk hours - 4-7PM usually.  I was by myself unless I list folks with me.

April 20

Brown Thrashers (6 at once on the mulch path)
Eastern Towhees - male and female - (FOL)
Catbirds
Winter Wren - love that little guy - FOL -(He allowed me to follow by his side at 3' as he meandered in search of food on top of logs along the path for quite a while)

White-Breasted Nuthatch
Tufted Titmouse couple
Kinglets
White-Throated Sparrow

I saw all of these birds on an almost every day afterward so I will not repeat listing them.  Some birds I do repeat but only because they were exceptional finds for me.  Sometimes birds were conspicuousy not present (various folks have theories about this - one that makes the most sense is what Bob Bailey told me about southerly winds being better days than northerly).

April 21

Red-bellied Sapsuckers - 6 in one tree near the owl nest
Flicker

Met a young man named  Brian (a kind young man who volunteers at Wildbird Rehab).  He was on his way to take a "Birding by Song" class at MBG.  I can't wait to take such a class.  Great info.  Thanks Brian.

April 24

Besides birds already listed on previous days, I saw:

Swainson's Thrush
Hooded Warbler (FOL) - female - she flitted only 2' feet from me for a long time - fabulous - I could have drawn her, she was posing that long at times.

April  25 - with my hubby, Andy...and Jack (a resident "expert" I met at Gaddy wandering through, sharing his lively wit)

GHO - Female parent spotted nearby Gaddy - Jack showed me - thanks Jack
Common Yellow Throat Warbler (FOL)
Carolina Chickadee
Great Crested Flycatcher (FOL)
Indigo Buntings - male and female
Nashville Warbler (FOL)

April 26

Kentucky Warbler (FOL) - love those sideburns!
Veery - (identified by old time birders present - thanks Joe) (FOL)
Swainson's Thrush
Summer Tanager - male juvenile (FOL)

April 27

Black and White Warbler - (FOL) - gorgeous...
Kentucky Warbler again
Nashville again

April 28

Met a super friendly informative enthusiastic birder, Doug Riddle!  Thanks Doug for your encouragement and help.

Blue-Winged Warbler - (FOL)
Nashville Warbler
Black and White Warbler

April 29 - The Tower Grove maintenance folks mowed the surrounding area of Gaddy - bummer, yucky, messy.  Wish they'd pull the honeysuckle in Gaddy instead...and leave the dead trees alone.  We need more folks to write them and ask them politely to consider this.

Odd - no Kinglets this day

Wood Thrush (FOL)
Swainson's Thrush
Indigo Bunting
Blue-Winged Warbler
Great Crested Flycatcher

April 30 - Raining but not bad...very overcast

Met the infamous Connie and a woman named Chris. Ran into a wonderful trio of birding women who had met each other in a birding class and informed me about the Point Pelee trip - Sue, Laurie and Anne...I think they were going out to eat together after birding.  Yummmm!

Magnolia Warbler (FOL) Fabulouso!
Blue Winged Warbler
Gray-Cheeked Thrush (finally identified by Connie for me) (FOL)
Common Yellowthroat
Ovenbird

May 1

American Redstart
Hooded Warbler
Overbird
Coopers Hawk (I'd been seeing him all along there but forgot to mention him)
Hooded Warbler
Egret flyin overhead

Met a sweet man named Jim who told me about a good article in www.birdersworld.com on binocular comparisons and reviews.

May 2

Great Crested Flycatcher
American Redstart
Baltimore Oriole
Summer Tanager (FOL)- male
Coopers Hawk

Went to the Cypress Circle for a bit and saw lots of unidentifiable warblers and:

Red-Breasted Grosbeaks - Male and Female
Summer Tanager - male juvenile
Red-Tailed Hawk - youngster
Wood Thrush

May 3

Out with my Ma

Gaddy in the early afternoon

Blackpoll Warbler
Red-Breasted Grosbeaks - male/femaile
Great Horned Owls - mom, pop, and baby
Cerulean Warbler - male (FOL)
Kentucky Warbler

Lost Valley later around 3PM  (Met Shawn Clubb at Gaddy earlier in week and he suggested Lost Valley (and Kennedy Forest) and gave me great directions - thanks Shawn!)

Scarlet Tanager (FOL) - male and female
Cerulean
Pileated Woodpecker (Though not a migrant, I had to throw him in, he was fabulous as always.)

Northern Parula (FOL)
Gray Cheeked Thrush
Kentucky Warbler
Indigo Buntings
Pine Warbler (FOL)

May 4

Very quiet at Gaddy - no warblers to be seen or heard

Pewee

May 5

A man named Loy was in Gaddy helping spot and identify - thanks Loy!  Jackie (a birding group leader) was there too and an eager Michael Stein.  Bill Rudden was there photograhing.  Met Bob Bailey - a treasure trove about everything bird - thanks so much Bob!  Quiet Jim was there.  It was a fun and friendly crowd!

Summer Tanager - juvy
American Redstart
Nashville Warbler
Black Throated Green (FOL)  another wow!
Scarlet Tanager
Gray Cheeked Thrush
Blackpoll Warbler
Veery
Blue Winged Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Swainson's Thrush
Hummingbird!

May 6

Gorgeous almost full moon in sky

Met a new "expert" birder - Mick, with a British accent.  Jack was also there as well as Bob Bailey and Bill Rudden.  Was I ever lucky!  But before I joined up with them (they were hanging out staring up at a large widespread tree east of Gaddy across a field), I hung around Gaddy's interior and saw:

Swainson's Thrush
Wilson's Warbler (FOL) -  love that black crown!
American Redstart
Great Crested Flycatcher
Overbirds
Common Yellowthroat
Black and White Warbler

then, with the guys, I saw:

Scarlet Tanagers
Baltimore Orioles
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Magnolia Warbler
Pewee
Black Throated Green
Chestnut Sided Warbler

Mick saw an "alleged" (tee, hee) Bay Breasted we were all envious of.

May 7

Hangin out with Al Smith, another fun guy/photographer

Yellow-rumped warbler (FOL)
Golden-winged Warbler (FOL)
Red-headed Woodpecker
Ovenbird
Baltimore Oriole
American Redstart
Scarlet Tanager
Common Yellowthroat
Wood Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Nashville Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Downy

As I left, I met a very informative friendly man who co-chairs WGNSS - Jim Ziebol - with his brother.

May 8

In my meanderings, bumped into Bob Bailey, Mick, the infamous Jeff (the Brit from Texas with the sharp eyes - and he does have sharp eyes - he found the male and female GHO's for me), and a few other friendly folks visiting from Illinois with their daughter who'd heard about the Monday night release of the owlette.

Chestnut sided Warbler
BLUEBIRD in Tower Grove - yes!  You are reading correctly, if you are still reading.
Nashville Warbler - female
Common Yellowthroat
Swainson's Thrush
Baltimore Oriole's
Red-Breasted Grosbeaks - male/female
Pewee
Least Flycatcher (I was only able to id this guy cause of Bob)
GHO's - first time I found the female parent with my ma, then I found the baby and the dad.  I came back later and they had moved.  I found them all three again.  Later, I couldn't find any of them but thanks to Jeff, I found the Ma and the Pa.)

May 9

Out with my hubby, Ma and Pa at Kennedy.  We were there for my first group experience with Bob Bailey but we couldn't find him and the group at first so we birded on our own.  It was overcast and cold but beautiful out.  We didn't see much:

Swainson's Thrush
Cooper's Hawk - no wonder we didn't see much...
Barred Owl (the group went back to see it later after we told them about it.)
Least Flycatcher
Pewee
Great Crested Flycatcher
Indigo Buntings

We then caught up with the group, led by Bob and Dave ?  (Sorry Dave, I didn't get your last name.)  I decided the group experience - at least that big - is not for me.  It seemed we had more than 20 folks.   We saw:

Baltimore Oriole's
Summer Tanager
Black Throated Green Warbler
Black Poll Warbler
American Redstarts
Black and White Warbler
Chestnut sided Warbler - great great view for quite a while

My family and I left to go to Tower Grove and we didn't see much but we had a real moment of excitement.  Some birds came swooping and gliding into a tree about 4' from me and I saw one glide to the ground and sort of dive into some low foliage.  It was a big enough bird that if he was standing, I should have seen him but I couldn't.  I stealthily went over to investigate as I called my mother to my side.  We saw that the bird had landed flat on it's belly with it's wings spread out for perfect viewing - and his head sort of facing down into the foliage.  I thought he might be injured but he suddenly flew along with another and my mom exclaimed:

That's a Yellow-Billed Cuckoo!  The first in my life.  The wings were gorgeous.  She showed me later how the reddish feathers helped to tell him apart from the Black.

YELLOW BELLIED CUCKOO!  He was cuckoo indeed, flying and landing like that but it was fabulous to witness.

We went back to Gaddy later around 5:30 and saw almost nothing until a fabulous flock of Cedar Waxwings - about 25 - flew into a tree overhead.  What a delight.

Cedar Waxwing Flock! (FOL)

Oh, and I am reading Songbird Journeys. Amazing.  Any other recommendations of great birding books (my mom has quite a few) are welcome.  I especially love the books on migration.

How much longer will migration last here?

Here's to gushing,
Chris McClarren
St. Louis MO - South City