]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  April 2009

TSE April 2009

Re: Mostly OT: For the dimly lit: Re: The

Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:25:08 -0800

text/plain

You have obviously spent some serious time studying Antigone,
Carrol. Your passion for it shows through. The Duchess of Malfi
is one of my favourite Elizabethan plays. Very stark, Very tight.
Too bad Webster and the others had to compete against Shakespeare.
Sort of like Auden and Dylan Thomas having to compete against
Pound and Eliot. Sometimes life isn't fair.

I agree with you about the 19th c. romanticisation of ANTIGONE.
In a lot of ways, it was a play ahead of its own time and of the 19th c. as
well.

Ah well.
Cheers,
Peter