]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  January 2009

TSE January 2009

Re: More mindless blather from the Far Left: Was: T.S.E. at 101

Tom Gray <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:17:41 -0800

text/plain

I am not left wing at all but I can remember the television pictures of the tanks facing each other in the Berlin. I can also remember commentary that the decision to go to war had been removed from the politicians and given to tank commanders in their early 20s. If any of these very young commanders had decided to open fire then the entire world would have quickly descended into nuclear war.

I can als remember going to school in the mornings of the Cuban missile crisis and not knowing if I would be alive to come home. I can remember real fear in my history teacher's eyes when it was announced that an American destroyer had fired shots at a Russian freighter. There are many myths that have grown up about those 13 days but I can remember the underlying fear that everyone felt.

The early 1960s was a period of great danger for the world - far more than that of today.