SLAS S.W. Mo Prairie Field Trip Report

Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:15:54 -0800

text/plain

From Joe Eades:

St. Louis Audubon Society Southwest Missouri Prairies Field Trip Report

SUMMARY
16 participants enjoyed unseasonably warm weather and great birding on the prairies of southwestern Missouri on November 1 and 2, 2008.  This was a great group of people to be birding with.  67 species were tallied on Saturday.  The total for Saturday and Sunday was 77 species.  We were successful with the target bird, Sprague's Pipit.

Highlights:
PACIFIC LOON
GREATER PRAIRIE CHICKEN
Short-eared Owl
SPRAGUE'S PIPIT
Orange-crowned Warbler
Sedge Wren
Pine Siskin
Harris' Sparrow
LeConte's Sparrow

Pre-trip, Friday, October 31:
I met Mick Richardson, Mike Thelen and Doug Willis at Smithville Lake around 4:15 pm or so.  Birds were few and scattered across the lake, but a variety of ducks, 25 Bonaparte’s and 10 Franklin’s Gulls spiced things up a bit.  We began to see a few distant loons, but none seemed terribly interesting.  An Osprey flew past a time or two.  Loons began to move closer as it got later and the numbers of Hooded Mergansers increased from 2 to about 20.  After multiple scans, we felt that one distant loon way up the cove across the lake looked interesting in terms of posture.  It was way too far away to get any real handle on other than “interesting”.  We went across the dam to the Litton visitor center to check from there.  At first we could not see any loons, but after awhile a single loon came far enough out of the cove to see.  It was a Common Loon.  We scanned the ducks and gulls in the roost and came across a couple of Bufflehead.  A calling
 American Pipit flew over.  We were about to leave when another loon came gliding out of the cove into our view.  It took less than a second to recognize it as a textbook PACIFIC LOON.  Eureka!  We enjoyed long close looks in good light.

Saturday, November 1:
The actual field trip began the next morning out of Nevada, Missouri.  We met at 7:00 am in the lobby of the Super 8 where all participants stayed on Friday night.  Our first destination was Taberville Prairie.  A heavy fog shrouded the land.  Sparrows were abundant along the entrance road.  We hiked out to the hilltop to find the grass a little longer than we hoped.  Susan Hazelwood called out a GREATER PRAIRIE CHICKEN in flight.  The official trip’s first highlight!  We marched in military precision back and forth across the field.  Our quarry was the elusive Sprague’s Pipit, which could not have eluded our army of 16 if it had been present.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t.  Our next stop was a vast mowed field on Wah-Kon-Tah Prairie.  We lined up and marched.  Almost halfway through our coverage of this area, we heard a suspected SPRAGUE’S PIPIT and watched a bird climb high, wander aimlessly and plummet to the earth.  We crested a rise and then
 flushed two birds that were definitely Sprague’s Pipits as they flashed their extensive white outer tail feathers and called repeatedly as they gained altitude.  These birds were joined by 2 others and they all flew about together before "crash landing".  We marked the spot and marched forward.  We slowed and stopped as we approached within 40 yards or so.  Lorrie Vit saw the 4 birds well on the ground, but they were soon off and flying.  We all had pretty good looks at the birds as they flushed and in flight.  They flew a long way and landed in an adjacent green field on private land.  We still had half the field to cover and so marched on.  The trip leader was taunted about having German ancestry.  Susan went back to report to Anne Downing who had remained behind.  They drove to near where the pipits had apparently landed, played their song, and low and behold, out popped the pipits!  They enjoyed great looks at close range.  This may be the only
 time anyone ever saw a Sprague’s Pipit without a lot of walking.  Janice Gaston, Sandy Elbert and Anne Kirkpatrick lined up along the fence and saw the pipits well in the two-track on private land. A few others caught glimpses through the grass before they slipped around the bend and out of sight for good. We lunched at the Blue Inn in Appleton City, where Mick Richardson had his third Pork Tenderloin of the trip.  Reportedly delicious!  From there we drove the backroads south of Montrose searching for raptors.  The fog stayed with us and raptors were scarce.  We did see a Harlan’s-type Red-tail.  Montrose Lake and Conservation area was our next stop.  Water birds were few.  There were a dozen or so Bonaparte’s and a single Franklin’s Gull.  We detected landbirds by ear as we walked along the road.  “Pishing” got the kinglets excited.  Most of them were Ruby-crowned.  One bird was VERY STRANGE!  The entire top of its head appeared to glow
 bright red!  At first it seemed to be an aberrant Rub-crowned, but we finally determined that it was an enraged male Golden-crowned Kinglet.  It was as though this bird had peeled back all the golden feathers in its crown and puffed up a big marshmallow of red to light its head on fire!  The eye-line and supercillium were noted, and the bird finally calmed down, first showing golden-yellow, surrounding orange, then packing it all back in and looking like a normal male Golden-crowned Kinglet.  With birding, it seems you see something new every day.  The overcast began to clear slowly.  A Brown Thrasher was found and coaxed into view.  Around 4:00 pm, birds began to become much more active and we got into a group that kept us engaged for about an hour.  Highlights included Pine Siskin, Orange-crowned Warbler and Sedge Wren.  We were running out of daylight and made a mad dash for Bushwhacker Lake, were Jean Leonatti, Pat Lueders and their contingents had
 staked out six SHORT-EARED OWLS the evening before.  We arrived in the nick of time and enjoyed “cup-filling” views of several Short-eared owls perched and in flight.  An Osprey had a late evening snack from the lake.  The sun set over the prairie.  Orange fingers of light flashed and brought down the night.  Mike Thelen set up his scope on Jupiter and its moons.  INCREDIBLE.  The ghostly images of owls haunted the darkness, blurring the line between perception and imagination.  We set out for the short jaunt to the Lamar Super 8, where homemade brownies awaited us.

Sunday, November 2:
A very nice complimentary breakfast spread started our day at 7:00 am.  We were out the door by 7:30.  Prairie State Park was only a short drive.  We stopped along the way and came across a plethora of Sparrows, including several gorgeous Harris' Sparrows.  Single Vesper and Field Sparrows were seen.  Song, Swamp, Savannah and White-crowned were well-represented.  Several flocks of small birds flew over early, but most were silent, cloaking their identity in mystery.  We entered Prairie State Park as the sun kissed the prairie grass with gold.  Bison were grazing and a White-tailed Deer was seen peering over the grass.  We hiked along the trail from the visitor center.  Two Vesper Sparrows allowed close study.  Mike Thelen and Pat Lueders spotted a couple of LeConte's Sparrows, and soon we had 6 or 8 of them teed up on stalks in the morning light.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Everyone was able to enjoy leisurely looks.  We walked a mile out
 and a mile back without seeing many birds.  Horned Larks tinkled and chased each other about.  Harriers swept by in lilting fashion, surveying their domain.  We had nice looks at the grazing Bison, but kept a respectful distance.  Back at the trailhead, a few Bison were very close behind the visitor center, one with a suckling calf and another massive creature rolling in the dust.  Rounding the perimeter of the park, we stopped to look over a flock of blackbirds and were able to pick out a few Brewer’s.  Kathleen Anderson picked up on a singing Western Meadowlark, which others heard as well.  The large blackbird flocks were not much in evidence yet.  We did see groups of a few hundred Brown-headed Cowbirds.  Our next stop was Shawnee Trail Conservation area.  We saw numerous raptors, but most were at a great distance.  One Red-tail was an interesting pale morph with a mostly white tail.  We spent some time with that one, but believe Red-tailed was the
 correct assessment.  A possible shrike sp. was seen, but got away.  We birded our way back to Nevada and had lunch.  Two cars headed for home and the rest made a couple of quick stops at Stockton Lake, where several Common Loons and Horned Grebes were seen.  Ducks were not much in evidence and relatively few gulls were present.  A single Franklin's was with a group of Ring-billed Gulls at Ruark Bluff access.

Post trip-Sunday evening:
I remained at Stockton Lake until sunset and had 65 loons (all Common) in sight from one access (Cedar Ridge).  My Common Loon tally for the lake that day was 75.

St. Louis Audubon Society Trip Leader,
Joe Eades
Kirkwood, Missouri

Joshua Uffman