Re: Greater Prairie-chicken restoration

Phil Wire <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:24:49 -0500

text/plain

This message will contain some critical comments about the prairie
chicken reintroductions at Wah'Kon-Tah prairie, as detailed in the
press release from MDC posted by Edge (it will also be long, and if I
know myself, contain a little rambling).  I wish to make it clear from
the outset, however, that I have the UTMOST amount of respect for the
team working on prairie chicken restoration in the state, and consider
the whole of their body of work to be top-notch given the dire
circumstances presented to anyone working in prairie conservation right
now.  As for the whole package, I think they get it, and are very
knowledgeable.  This is a minor gripe with one facet of the recovery
plan.

I have been following the Wah'Kon-Tah introductions at arm's length for
some time. I had concerns from the beginning, given the nature of
Wah'Kon-Tah's landscape.  I will state that I have only seen
Wah'Kon-Tah by car, and have never explored it by foot.  However,
satellite maps show a fundamental truth about the area that must be
acknowledged--it is an enclosed landscape of approximately 4,000 acres
that is not all that chicken-friendly on the whole.  Looking at
satellite maps reveals heavy stands of trees surround the majority of
the area.  Clearly it's an excellent prairie, but it presents problems
for chickens.

Using Dunn Ranch as a standard, we can see that the carrying capacity
of even the best prairie landscapes in Missouri is very low right now.
  IMO, Dunn Ranch is the best habitat in the state for chickens (I
think most would agree). Yet the population there continues to decline
(despite initial growth), precipitously so in the past two or three
years.

I mention this because past behavior with prairie chicken
reintroductions has much to teach interested parties.  Prairie chicken
reintroductions are not new--we are coming up on the 50th anniversary
of the first attempt.  Twice prior to 1970, birds were reintroduced
into portions of northern Missouri (the first at Swan Lake NWR, near
Chillicothe, the second in Macon Co).  Both failed.

The existing birds in my neck of the woods, Adair, Sullivan, and Putnam
counties, were/are also reintroduced.  There was a concerted effort in
the mid-1990's to reintroduce prairie chickens into ranges in northern
MO. where they had been extirpated. Areas that had a good percentage of
land use in pasture or hay were targeted, and birds were released into
these locations. In the short term, the reintro's were a smashing
success.  Birds stuck, and stuck well.  There was even evidence to
suggest populations grew. Western Adair Co., eastern Sullivan Co., and
Putnam Co. all had decent sized flocks of birds.  However, populations
slowly began dwindling, and eventually all have crashed. There probably
was not enough nesting/roosting cover to begin with, and changing land
use made the problems worse (among other problems).

Thus, there is a fundamental lesson in these reintro's that cannot be
emphasized enough-- getting birds to stick around initially isn't even
half the battle.  The most important factor is ensuring that carrying
capacity is sufficient in the given area to host a population of birds
for the long-term. A reintroduction is bound to fail if the birds
cannot survive long-term.

MDC's methodology for the new reintroductions, which is detailed in the
release Edge forwarded, follows closely the recommended guidelines from
the newest research.  It's the best available method.  The methodology
of release is not an issue here for me.  What is an issue, and frankly
I think it is too important an issue to be left off the table any
longer, is that these introductions are probably a waste of time and
money for different reasons.

Right now, all evidence available to me suggests that there is no point
in reintroductions anywhere.  Even at Dunn Ranch, the best habitat in
the state, the carrying capacity is probably too low to support a
healthy population of chickens.  Prairie State Park, Taberville
Prairie, etc., all show similar phenomena.  Thus, if one desires to
reverse the phenomenon of prairie chicken decline, the solution is not
to reintroduce chickens.  The solution is to maximize to the utmost,
dollar for dollar, the conservation of grassland habitat.  I don't see
reintroductions factoring into this mix any time soon.

I have been outspoken to a few birding friends about my reservations
about the Wah'Kon-Tah plan but have kept my opinions mostly silent.
However, the information contained in the release is troubling.  If 8
birds out of 45 male birds are still around after a few months, there
is a problem, and a big one.  My original fear, from the second I heard
the plan, was that there was never enough prairie landscape at
Wah'Kon-Tah to begin with.  When you have more of your released birds
at other prairies than you do on the target, it's clearly a problem.
Given that the MDC has pulled out all the stops to use sound
methodology for releases, it's pretty clear that method of release
isn't the problem.  The problem is that Wah'Kon-Tah, as it stands now
in my opinion, probably won't work for chickens in the long term.  It
may not work even in the short term.  Then again, it may be silly and
presumptuous for me to judge the effectiveness of the program after
less than 6 months.  We'll see.

If it were just Wah'Kon-Tah, I probably wouldn't make public comment on
it.  However, I'd bet that voices in the Cole Camp community are eager
for reintro's there given community excitement about the birds, and I
bet my bottom dollar that if the population at Dunn starts really
tanking, Eagleville will want more chickens too now that there is a bit
of ecotourism and community support there. Will those represent sound
investments if there isn't major change in the landscape?

With corn futures at 7 1/2 dollars a bushel or whatever ungodly price
they are at currently, any land acquisitions now are going to be
incredibly costly.  Any acquisitions later will be even costlier.  Land
must be acquired now.  Truthfully, it needed to be acquired 25 years
ago when land was cheap, as called for by MDC recovery plans from 1984,
but hindsight is 20-20 and priorities were different. I believe that
acquisition and improvement of habitat are, by far, the two most
important things right now.  The organizations in the Grasslands
Coalition (including MDC) are working hard for these two goals, but I
worry that reintroductions represent a sub-optimal use of resources
(and also an investment in a false hope) that could also be going to
those goals.

It took me long enough to get here, but here's my point:
reintroductions, in my opinion, represent a bad investment in a false
hope right now.  The evidence on the ground, and in the past history of
the prairie chicken in Missouri, suggests to me that until Missouri's
grassland situation changes in key landscapes, all of these efforts
represent an inefficient use of resources. This is true of Wah'Kon-Tah,
but it is also true of virtually every other place in the state.

I will also say that I hope desperately to be wrong.  If, in twenty
years, I can be telling my friends about how I was wrong about the
reintroductions and Missouri now has new flocks of thriving prairie
chickens, I'd be happy.  But I think the evidence suggests that
reintroductions right now will not fix the ultimate problems with
prairie chicken recovery in the state, nor will they help Missouri's
long-term prospects to keep prairie chickens booming here.

In no way am I hostile to changing my opinion, nor do I think I have
all the answers, so if someone has a different take on it please feel
free to chime in.  Thanks.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair Co.

Phil Wire
Truman State University

ASM Fall Meeting: Sept. 26-28, 2008 at Osage Beach, MO