]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  May 2008, Week 1

MOBIRDS-L May 2008, Week 1

SLAS 4/26-4/27 Bootheel Trip Report (long)

Pat Lueders <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 May 2008 11:33:36 EDT

text/plain

St. Louis Audubon Society (SLAS) 4/26-4/27 Southeast Missouri Trip  Report.
Vital stats:  Spring migration in full swing, 11  participants, 142 species,
19 warbler species on Saturday.

Friday, April 25:  SCOUTING REPORT:  Jim Malone, Pat Lueders and  I headed
down the I-55 corridor on Friday, 4/25 to do a little scouting for the  trip.
Along the way, we stopped to bird the Mississippi River floodplain  around St.
Mary, Missouri and Kaskaskia Island, Illinois.  A good number of  migrant
passerines and a few shorebirds were making their appearance.  The  highlight of
the trip down was 7 BLACK-NECKED STILTS seen in a flooded field  about 1/2 mile
along the main road taken to the right after entering Kaskaskia  Island.
This is within the St. Louis area.  We stopped at East  Prairie, Missouri and
found the WHITE-WINGED DOVES are still returning to the  yard along highway 80
with multiple feeders across from the Jehovah's Witness  temple.  I believe
there were at least 2 present.  Much of the eastern  section of the "Bootheel" was
flooded, with agricultural fields transformed  into large shallow lakes.
Many traditional birding areas were closed due  to flooding (Ten Mile Pond, Big
Oak Tree State Park).  We checked the  Caruthersville Catfish Ponds and found
very little there.  This is a better  summer and fall spot when the ponds are
often drawn down.  A field along  highway 162 as we crossed from east to west
across the southern "bootheel" held  a good number of shorebirds, including at
least 150 AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVERS,  several in stunning full breeding plumage.
 Over 200 shorebirds were  present overall, with a few DUNLIN and 2
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS being  highlights.  Another field in the "DEXTER RICE FIELDS"
produced more  shorebirds including 2-3 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS.

SATURDAY, April 26:
The "official" trip began on Saturday morning, April 26 at 6:00 am as we
left our hotel in Dexter for a full day of birding at Duck Creek Conservation
Area and Mingo National Wildlife Refuge.  There were 11 participants  including
the leaders.  The forest edge along the roadsides at Duck Creek  was alive
with migrants.  There were very high numbers of YELLOW-RUMPED  WARBLERS,  several
PALM WARBLERS were seen and BLACKPOLL WARBLERS were  singing at almost every
stop, though seeing them was often a challenge.   YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS were
very vocal and we had great views of one or  two.  INDIGO BUNTINGS were among
the most frequently seen species.   Most of the early migrants and returning
breeders were putting in a good  showing.  GRAY CATBIRDS were common and
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES were  abundant.  We had good looks at a singing male YELLOW
WARBLER.  Both  TANAGERS and both ORIOLES were seen several times.  A Forester's
Tern was  winging around the open lake.  Three or more RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS
were  seen.  The highlight of this section of the trip was a PLEGADIS (dark)
IBIS  species seen as we walked back into the open wetland area at the back of
the  conservation area.  The bird appeared to be a White-faced, but the
distance  and the lighting dictated leaving the identification at the genus level.
We also had a group of about 10 LITTLE BLUE HERONS fly over.

Mingo National Wildlife Refuge gave us 2 MISSISSIPPI KITES soaring high
overhead and as many as 5 adult BALD EAGLES overhead at one time.  At one  point,
a high-speed chase between these birds took place across the sky above  us.
Along Bluff Road, a BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER was heard but not  seen.  An
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER or two were heard.  An EASTERN WOOD PEWEE  was also seen.
WE had great looks at a male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK at the  Rockhouse Marsh
overlook.  A LINCOLN'S SPARROW popped up from the brush for  several seconds.
KENTUCKY WARBLERS were singing in the woods near the  visitor's center and great
looks at a male SUMMER TANAGER were enjoyed by  all.  We actually had several
great opportunities to see adult male  tanagers of both species in full
breeding plumage.  Later, we birded along  Ditch 6 because we were told a
Connecticut Warbler had been seen there in the  morning.  We did not find the bird, but
we did encounter a couple of  GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLERS and a
couple of people got looks at a PHILADELPHIA VIREO.  GREAT-CRESTED
FLYCATCHERS were seen and heard several times.  A couple of SWAINSON'S  THRUSHES were
seen.  On the way to the "backside" of Mingo, we stopped at  the pine stand
near the dam at Wappapello Lake where we got great looks at a  pair of PINE
WARBLERS.  We all enjoyed the expansive view from the overlook  of Monopoly Marsh,
which looked much more like a lake because of the high  water.  There were two
groups of LESSER SCAUP seen in the distance.   We added a few more species by
walking along a road along the swampy bottomlands  including BLACK & WHITE
WARBLER and BARRED OWL.  On the way back, we  picked up a few birds of the open
field and we saw a flock of about 30 CATTLE  EGREST flying along the dam at
Wappapello Lake.  Our birding day ended  around 8:00 pm with an AMERICAN KESTREL
hovering over the median of highway  60 being our last "tick" of the day.  In
all, we tallied 117 species for  the day with 19 species of warblers before
returning to Dexter for a Barbeque  dinner.

SUNDAY, April 27:
Sunday, April 27 was spent at Otter Slough Conservation area.   Migrants were
again plentiful, with a similar mix to the day before.  An  early morning
pause along highway Z produced singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS.   A surprise among
the migrants near the headquarters at Otter Slough was 2 PURPLE  FINCHES.  We
added several species of shorebirds to the trip list as these  had been lacking
at Deer Creek and Mingo.  Shorebird highlights included  about 500
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, 9 STILT SANDPIPERS, 5-6 DUNLIN,  a few  BLACK-NECKED STILTS  and
2 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS.  A PEREGRINE FALCON  was seen soaring over the area
after several flocks of shorebirds were seen in  flight.  A NORTHERN HARRIER
graced us with its passage as well.  New  for the trip was a "singing" LEAST
FLYCATCHER.  DICKCISSELS were much in  evidence and a singing BELL'S VIREO was
heard by all but seen by few.   Lengthy close up looks at a SORA were enjoyed by
most of the group.  A  group of a dozen or so (mostly injured) White and Blue
morph Snow Geese lingered  on.   A NORTHERN PINTAIL, 2 RINGED-NECKED DUCKS, a
LESSER SCAUP, 6  RUDDY DUCKS, a RED-BREASTED MERGANSER and a HOODED MERGANSER
rounded up our list  of ducks.  We ended the day around 1:30 pm by looping
the back roads  alongside private conservation lands and found a flock of about
17 AMERICAN  PIPITS and a LARK SPARROW as we near highway TT on the way back
to highway 60  and on to our hometowns.

We totaled 107 species for the day Sunday and 142 species for the official
trip.
Trip Leader
Joe Eades

favorites at AOL Food.