Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  September 2007

TSE September 2007

Bankers at war

"Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:32:28 -0400

text/plain

BANKERS AT WAR

When doing research for the "Lloyds Bank Economic Review" query I came
across a few webpages that may be of interest to the group.  The first
is about what was to be done about a war memorial with which Lloyds
commemorated its employees who died in the two world wars.  I think
Nancy will be interested in this. This page mentioned a unit called
the Bankers Battalion.

Seeking more information on the Bankers Battalion I came upon the
second webpage which had the reminiscences of a member.  He mentions a
couple of times when 800 men went into action and only 100 came out.
I picked a section to quote though that mentions 1914 pay rates,
including that of a soldier.  Later on down I'll compare that to what
Eliot was getting paid at the time.

The third webpage has some information on how to get a short film of
the Bankers Battalion on parade.

The fourth webpage will bring you to a review of the book
"Lloyds Bank, 1918-1969" by J. R. Winton (if you're lucky.)

----------------------------------

http://www.curme.co.uk/mem.htm

The closure of the Lloyds TSB Bank plc Group Head Office building in
Lombard Street, City of London presented the Group with a particularly
interesting challenge. What to do about the Lloyds Bank War Memorial
which dominated the old entrance hall with it's long list of names of
employees who had lost their lives during the two World Wars. This
Memorial had traditionally served as a focal point for the Lloyds TSB
Group collective commemoration on the 11th of November each year.

One particularly poignant aspect of the WWI memorial is that 28 of the
listed names were killed whilst serving with the 26th Royal Fusiliers
(Bankers Battalion). Hundreds of young men from Lloyds Bank
volunteered for service and joined this 1,500 strong unit which
consisted entirely of bank employees. Twelve of the Lloyds contingent
were killed on the first day that the 26th Bn went into action on the
Somme at Flers in September 1916 (the first time tanks were used in
battle).

----------------------------------

http://website.lineone.net/~chrisjhill/HillTree/C_Hill_reminiscences.htm

Charles Hill's reminiscences

Arthur was working in Dulwich as a carpenter and joiner; Richard was a
billiard table maker and I was a junior clerk and office boy firstly
with a firm of solicitors but afterwards in the same capacity with the
Corporation of London. Arthur and Richard were both experts at their
jobs and earned top money for those days (5 per week). I, at the
first job received ten shillings per week [50p] and transferred to the
Corporation at fifteen shillings [75p] per week.

On Bank Holiday 4th August 1914 war was declared by our government and
in due course conscription was mooted.

I thought I would rather pick my destination and went to the
Recruiting Station in the neighbourhood of St Paul's Cathedral.. There
were then two recruiting sergeants (they were done away with when
compulsory service was brought in.). One sergeant was recruiting for
the Stock Exchange Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, the other for the
Bankers Battalion of the same regiment. I chose the Stock Exchange
Battalion but, when I went into the Recruiting Office, I was told
that, as they had got into trouble for taking what we used to call the
'typewriting boys' (the lads who, with brush and tray ran under the
horses' tails and picked up their leavings so as to keep the roads
clear), they wanted permission from the Comptroller to accept me. This
amused neither the Comptroller nor myself.

Anyway, fending off a try by the Bankers to poach me, the Stock
Exchange passed me into the doctors. Eye tests were not too good but,
after being nearly on top of the test card before I could get down the
rows of letters, I was told "you'll do to stop a bullet" and I went on
to join for "three years or the duration of the war". Having complied
with all the necessary conditions, I was given 2s/9d (nearly 14p)
being 1/- (5p) for a day's pay and 1s/9d (nearly 9p) for a day's
lodging and rations, a rail ticket for Leamington Spa and a paper
ordering me to attend there the next day. Although I did not know it,
there was a "slip coach" which was drawn by an engine and carriages
which went further on. This was released just short of Leamington and
coasted in to be picked up by a "light" engine.

----------------------------------

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/735654/synopsis.html

"BANKERS IN KHAKI The Lord Mayor takes the salute of the 26th
(Service) Battalion known as the Bankers Battalion on their march
through the city". Bankers Battalion marching through wet streets of
the City led by a military band. The Lord Mayor of London, Sir Charles
Wakefield, and army officers on the steps of St Paul's Cathedral.

----------------------------------

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0272-3433(198423)6%3A4%3C116%3ALB1%3E2.0.CO%3B2-D

Review: [Untitled]
Reviewed Work(s):
Lloyds Bank, 1918-1969 by J. R. Winton
Author(s) of Review: Larry Schweikart
The Public Historian, Vol. 6, No. 4 (Autumn, 1984), pp. 116-117
This article consists of 2 page(s).

----------------------------------

The pay rates mentioned by Charles Hill:
   5 per week = 260 per annum
   10s per week = 26 per annum
   15s per week = 39 per annum
   1s per day = 18 5s per annum

For Eliot's WWI salaries see Ackroyd's TSE biography pp. 67, 68, 77:
   1915 Interest on 3,000 worth of debentures from Russell (interest rate?)
   1915 High Wycombe Grammar School: 140 per annum
   1915 Highgate Junior School: 160 per annum
   1918 Lloyd's Bank salary: 270 per annum
   1922 Dial Prize: $2,000 = 400

Using the calculator at http://measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/
to convert TSE's income to its 1914 equivalent:
   100 in 1915 is equivalent to 1914's 83   9s 5d
   140 in 1915 is equivalent to 1914's 116 17s 2d
   160 in 1915 is equivalent to 1914's 133 11s 0d
   270 in 1918 is equivalent to 1914's 137  0s 1d
   400 in 1922 is equivalent to 1914's 227 10s 6d

So, Eliot's salary may have been 3 times that of a small house agent's
clerk.

Regards,
    Rick Parker