Condors in AZ sucessful breeding

Mariel Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:32:23 -0500

Hurray!

Mariel Stephenson
Columbia, Mo

There are 12 messages totalling 532 lines in this issue. Topics of the day:   1. Tucson RBA 7-20-07   2. Cardinals & pyrs   3. Arizona Field Ornithologists (AZF0): Oct. 20 State Meeting   4. AZ: FW: Camp Verde Scissor-tailed Flycatcher continues   5. Hail storm and birds in Patagonia, AZ   6. Cienega Creek cattle - response   7. FW: Endangered California condor chicks hatch in the wild in AZ   8. FW: AZ: White-eared Hummingbird, Chiricahua Mts   9. 10/14/2007 Big Sit Date  10. NM: Calliope Hummingbirds - Albuquerque - 20 Jul 2007  11. AZ:Mingus Mountain near Jerome  12. Calliope Hummers NM ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:21:06 -0400 From: keith kamper <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Tucson RBA 7-20-07 Hello Birders, This update of Tucson Audubon Society's Rare Bird Alert for Southeast Arizona was made on July 20, 2007. The next update will be made on July 27th. Phone your reports to 520-798-1005 X 1. Email your reports to [log in to unmask] In this report, where directions are not given, they can be found in the latest edition of "Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona", published by and available from Tucson Audubon. Updates, including new sites and access changes can be found at: www.tucsonaudubon.org/birding/updates.htm Several important announcements follow the sightings, including information on the temporary closure of the Avra Valley Wastewater Treatment Plant. An asterisk (*) preceding a species name in the list indicates that it merits careful, full documentation. A pound sign (#) indicates that brief corroborating details are warranted. Please send documentation to the Arizona Bird Committee via the online form at http://www.javaswift.com/ABCReports/mailer.aspx via email to [log in to unmask] or the ABC, P.O. Box 91856, Tucson, AZ 85720-1856. CHIRICAHUA MOUNTAINS A *CRESCENT-CHESTED WARBLER feeding a juvenile was discovered at East Turkey Creek on the 15th by John and Judy Geeson. It was observed by a number of observers since the original sighting and has been photographed. Richard Webster offers the followinginformation: "Sightings occurredin an area about 20 to 30m on the Onion Saddle side of East Turkey Creek, right along the "Trans Mountain" Road (Cave Creek to Onion Saddle road; i.e., just past the junction with the road down E Turkey Creek to Paradise, which is a good area around which to park)." It was noted again on the 16th, but I have recieved no positive reports since then. If you do search for these birds, please maintain maintain a safe distance and do not use tapes! *SHORT-TAILED HAWKS, including juveniles, have been seen this week in the vicinity of Barfoot Park. Two LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES were observed at the George Walker House on the 18th (Jackie Lewis). I-19 CORRIDOR The male *FLAME-COLORED TANAGER continues in the vicinity of the Madera Kubo Cabins and has been oberved furthur up the road near the large boulder and blue house. To bird at the Kubos park in the US Forest Service Amphitheater parking area and walk the short distance up the road to the kubo. There is no public parking at the Kubos. *BLACK-CAPPED GNATCATCHERS continue at Proctor Road, Madera Canyon this week with sightings near the parking lot (v.ob.). CALIFORNIA GULCH/ORO BLANCO MINE *BUFF-COLLARED NIGHTJAR continues to be heard at the Oro Blanco Mine Site near California Gulch (v.ob.). FIVE-STRIPED SPARROWS continue at nearby California Gulch. HUACHUCA MOUNTAINS The *RED-EYED VIREO continues along the Miller Creek Trail in Miller canyon near the mine shaft. It was last reported on the 14th (Joe Woodley). A *BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD was reported from Reef Campground in Carr Canyon on the 14th (Dave Nelson). #WHITE-EARED HUMMINGBIRD continues at the Beatty's Controlled Access Site ($5 fee required) in Miller Canyon (Tom Beatty). #LUCIFER HUMMINGBIRDS are still being seen at the Ash Canyon B&B. MISC A #RUDDY GROUND-DOVE and #BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER were observed at Cascabel at the San Pedro River. LONG-EARED OWLS were also present here (Moez Ali). CRESTED CARACARAS were observed on the Santa Cruz Flats near Red Rock on the 18th (Doug Jenness). Two LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES were observed atop Kitt Peak on the 17th (Elaine Halbedel). An AMERICAN GOLDFINCH was noted at McCormick Park in Tucson on the 15th (Mark Stevenson). A COMMON BLACK-HAWK was observed on the 15th "soaring out over a wash North of E Cloud Rd. It circled, over and further; then flew East past N Larrea over the trees, and beyond toward N Camino Seco and N Bear Canyon Rd. Sabino Creek runs through private properties about this area" (Liz Payne). Two STILT SANDPIPERS were observed at Cochise Lake this week. ANNOUNCEMENTS I-10 is under construction in Tucson between 29th Street and Prince road. See http://www.i10tucsondistrict.com/29toP.html for details. AVRA VALLEY WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT: The facility is now closed to birders due to the ongoing construction. Updates will be added as they become available. BAIRD'S SPARROW HILL AND THE VACA RANCH CORRAL in the San Rafael Valley continues to be off limits to birders due to the thoughtless actions of a few birders. Do not bird within .25 mile of the corrals or enter the property. NOGALES SEWAGE PONDS: Remain closed to birders. Corona de Tucson Ponds remain closed to birders. Good Birding, Keith Kamper Vail, Az ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:18:33 -0700 From: Northe Osbrink <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Cardinals & pyrs Linda, <<We just moved into San Ignacio Vistas II (just off Calle Tres in the upper part). ... Looking forward to meeting the Green Valley birders. I've signed up for a couple of TAS trips in Aug. So might get to meet you then.>> Welcome to Green Valley! We've only been here since late January, so I'm still seeing birds that are new to me as the seasons and conditions change. I've really only become more serious about birding since we moved here. Right now we're inundated with white-winged and mourning doves, and for a while we had _tons_ of starlings -- many people consider the starlings a nuisance, but we enjoy their antics. There are many Gambel's quail, with babies ranging from "walnuts" (as my wife calls them) to three-quarter-sized juveniles. Oh, yes, at least two roadrunners (one of whom took care of at least two mice in our yard), and at least one Cooper's hawk that perches on our trees from time to time. The broad-tailed grackles seem to have left this particular area. If you want to please the finches, be sure to put out thistle seed bags. If you want to please the doves and the younger quail, sprinkle some of the thistle seed on the ground. And don't forget the oranges or grape jelly for the orioles. I've been intending to seek contact with other local birders, but so far this group is my primary contact with the birding community. Northe Green Valley AZ (Off of Abrego and Continental) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:21:39 +0000 From: Doug Jenness <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Arizona Field Ornithologists (AZF0): Oct. 20 State Meeting Saturday, Oct. 20: the Arizona Field Ornithologists (AZFO) will hold its first state membership meeting. It will be held at the Southeast Regional Library in Gilbert, Arizona just southeast of Phoenix. This site is next to the Gilbert Water Ranch, well known as a rich birding spot. Opportunities for birding before and after the meeting and on Sunday morning will be organized. Maybe the Streak-backed Oriole will return for its third year!! The meeting will offer an opportunity to discuss reports on AZFO activities and hear three or four presentations from different parts of Arizona on bird distribution and recent research projects. Dues-paid members will be able to elect officers and the board of directors and approve the by-laws. New people who are not yet members are urged to come, join, and invite others. For those who sign up as new members at this meeting, their dues will be paid through 2008. (All dues and contributions to AZFO, which is officially a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization, are tax-deductible.) Updates on the program and schedule will be available on the AZFO website: azfo.org. If you are interested in attending or helping to work on this gathering, please contact conference coordinator Keith Kamper at: [log in to unmask] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:38:52 -0700 From: Mark Stevenson <[log in to unmask]> Subject: AZ: FW: Camp Verde Scissor-tailed Flycatcher continues From the Tucson Audubon Society's RBA voice mail at 520-798-1005 X 1 Jerry Brink reports seeing the subject bird on July 19. Details at: http://nazas.org/sightings/viewthread.php?tid=3D2081&page=3D1#pid3876 Thanks to Jerry for his update. Happy Birding Trails, Mark Stevenson Tucson, AZ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:06:52 -0700 From: Tom Arny <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Hail storm and birds in Patagonia, AZ Yesterday afternoon (July 19, 2007), a severe hail storm moved through our area (about 2 miles south of Patagonia, AZ, at about 5:30 PM. The hail ripped the screening out of its frame on four windows and stripped most of the paint from the windward side of our porch posts (I'm not making that up). It smashed holes in the plastic water buckets we use for collecting water and broke most of the outdoor light fixtures. The mesquites around us were stripped of most leaves, so they now look as they do in March. Many mesquite are completely bare. Many oaks lost lots of leaves too. Dry grass was mowed down as if a weed-whacker had combed the hills. The ground is covered with a hail produced mulch of shredded grass and leaves. Hail piled up in 8" drifts against the house wall and some small piles still remain (as of ~ 2PM, as I write, a day later). Wind was fierce. All this led me to worry that the hail would have killed every bird in the storm's path, but within half an hour after the storm subsided, hummingbirds (Rufous, Anna's, Black-chinned , and Broad- billed) were at the feeders. This morning, several male Scott's Orioles were back at "their" orange half, and most of the other birds seem to be around too. We will have to keep feeders topped up, as all flowers were stripped from everything. How the birds found any place to be out of the wind and hail amazes me. Even the oaks could have provided little protection. Tom Arny [log in to unmask] Box 545, Patagonia, AZ USA 85624 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:15:52 -0700 From: Rob Yaksich <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Cienega Creek cattle - response Rob Yaksich Pima County NRPR Tucson Hi all, particularly Mike N. - the text below is from Natural Resources Superindent Kerry Baldwin, regarding cattle in Cienega Creek. This was sent to me today by Kerry, who asked me to post it to this list. RY ******************************************* Thanks Mike Nicosia for the information on cattle in Cienega Creek Preserve. We welcome these notices. We rely on many of the hikers and visitors to the Preserve to send along information on issues they might encounter. In the future, concerns or alerts can be directed to my office. That is: Kerry Baldwin, Natural Resources Division Manager, Pima County Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation, 3500 W. River Rd, 85745 or [log in to unmask] We, and adjacent ranchers, have been having reoccurring problems due to vandalism and fence cutting in the area. Some areas of fence have been cut 5 or 6 times over past two months. Just to update all on actions being taken, we have gone back in the Preserve this morning to ride the area and move cattle back off property today or tomorrow. We are in contact with the two adjacent ranches that had cattle enter the area thru the fence breaks and they are helping move the cattle. We will again repair fences once the cattle are out. We have notified the Pima County Sheriff’s office of this ongoing problem and hope to get additional focused enforcement effort planned soon. We have stepped up our routine visits to the site as well.   I would not worry about the cattle from a safety perspective if you just give them leeway and with luck they will all be out by the weekend of 7/22. We have had reports recently of a feral dog pack in the Preserve and would like any location/date reports we can get on them. Especially if they exhibit any aggressive behavior.   Thanks again for passing along the information.   Kerry Baldwin         ____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:59:34 -0700 From: Mark Stevenson <[log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: Endangered California condor chicks hatch in the wild in AZ From AZ Game and Fish Dept Endangered California condor chicks hatch in the wild Biologists recently confirmed a new condor chick produced in the wild by = captive-bred California condors at Vermilion Cliffs National Monument. = They believe another chick is likely in the Grand Canyon. This brings the total number of chicks hatched in the wilds of Arizona = to six confirmed, and seven probable, since 1996, the year that = endangered California condors were first reintroduced in northern = Arizona as part of a cooperative recovery program by federal, state and = private partners. "This confirmed visual allows for a brief sigh of relief," said Chris = Parish, the biologist leading the recovery effort for The Peregrine = Fund, an international conservation organization. "The next big step, = however, will be after the chick fledges and integrates into the wild = flock. One step at a time." The Peregrine Fund, based in Boise, Idaho, breeds and recovers = endangered birds of prey around the world. Two other condor pairs attempted to nest in Arizona this year, but were = unsuccessful. California condors are typically six years or older the = first time they attempt to breed, and pairs commonly do not succeed = until they are eight years of age. The Vermilion Cliffs chick is the second offspring for a pair of condors = at the national monument. The chick was discovered by field biologists = who observed nesting behavior in May. By early June biologists suspected = a chick had hatched because the parents were venturing out to forage for = food and immediately returning to the cave. After watching this behavior = continue for three weeks, Peregrine Fund field manager Eddie Feltes = rappelled down the face of the cliff and peeked inside the cave to = confirm the presence of a healthy young bird. The other chick that likely hatched this summer is the first for a pair = nesting in a remote canyon within the Grand Canyon. That chick has not = been confirmed with visual inspection, but scientists are optimistic, = based on the parents' behavior.=20 "With each wild chick hatched, the original condor reintroduction = concerns of whether the condor could even be successfully recovered have = been answered," said Kathy Sullivan, lead biologist of the Arizona Game = and Fish Department's condor program. "The program is making great = strides. However, this chick and the entire flock face many challenges = that must be overcome to achieve a self-sustaining population." The greatest obstacle to a self-sustaining condor population is lead = toxicity from spent ammunition. Cooperative efforts are underway to = reduce mortality rates from lead contamination in condors. The Arizona = Game and Fish Department offers a free non-lead ammunition program, = started in 2005, in an attempt to reduce lead exposure for wild condors. = Hunters have responded positively to using non-lead ammunition in condor = range, although expanded adoption of the effort is needed to further = reduce lead exposure and mortality in condors. The chicks are expected to fledge in December when they are about six = months old. Four out of five of the previously wild-hatched chicks have = survived and assimilated into the flock.=20 "These hatchlings are a significant step in recovering a magnificent = bird," said Benjamin N. Tuggle, regional director for the U.S. Fish and = Wildlife Service. "Wild-hatched condors are part of the plan for = re-establishing a truly wild population of California condors." Condors were added to the federal endangered species list in 1967. In = 1982 there were only 22 California Condors in existence and in 1987 the = last birds were removed from the wild for captive breeding to save the = species from extinction. Today, more than 300 birds exist, with nearly = half of those released to the wild in California, Mexico and at the = Vermilion Cliffs in Arizona. The condor is the largest flying land bird in North America. The birds = can weigh up to 26 pounds and have a wingspan of up to 9 1/2 feet.=20 Condors were first reintroduced in Arizona in 1996. There are now 69 = condors (59 wild and 10 awaiting release) in the state. Visitors at the = Grand Canyon and Vermilion Cliffs may be able to observe the birds, = especially during the spring and summer. The condor reintroduction in Arizona is a joint project of many = partners, including Arizona Game and Fish Department, U.S. Fish and = Wildlife Service, The Peregrine Fund, Bureau of Land Management, = National Park Service, Kaibab National Forest and Utah Division of = Wildlife Resources. For more information on California Condors, visit The Peregrine Fund = website at peregrinefund.org/ or the Arizona Game and Fish Department = website at azgfd.gov/cond Mark Stevenson Tucson ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:01:20 -0700 From: Mark Stevenson <[log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: AZ: White-eared Hummingbird, Chiricahua Mts From the Tucson Audubon Society's RBA voice mail at 520-798-1005 X1 Cole (?) reports a male WHITE-EARED HUMMINGBIRD seen this morning = just south of the intersection of the Paradise - Portal road. They had = no luck relocating the Crescent-chested Warblers. Thanks to Cole for his report. Happy Birding Trails, Mark Stevenson Tucson, AZ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:17:06 -0700 From: Terry Brodner <[log in to unmask]> Subject: 10/14/2007 Big Sit Date Birders: Please save October 14, 2007 as the Big Sit Date. It's never too early to   plan for this fun and rewarding outing! Thanks,   Terry Brodner, BIRDWATCHING & BEYOND; Phoenix, AZ       Arizona -- Circles: 3 registered, 3 reporting in 2006           Asterisks -- Herbert Fibel -- northeast of Mesa, az -- 54 species    Insomniacs -- Janine Mccabe -- Kino Springs, Nogale, az -- 65 species    Rio Salado Sitters -- Terry Brodner -- Phoenix, az -- 55 species       The 2007 BIG SIT!™   The 13th annual Big Sit!* will take place on Sunday, October 14, 2007. Remember, this FREE EVENT is open to every person and club in any country! -- editor Bill Thompson, III.                  Hosted by:      The Big Sit! is an annual, international, noncompetitive birding event hosted by Bird Watcher's Digest and founded by the New Haven (CT) Bird Club. Every team that observes this year's "Golden Bird" has a chance to win $500. We hope bird watchers from around the globe will unite on this special day by participating in this event (it's free!). The Big Sit! is sponsored by Swarovski Optik and Eagle Optics.         --------------------------------- Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:45:45 -0500 From: Devin Bosler <[log in to unmask]> Subject: NM: Calliope Hummingbirds - Albuquerque - 20 Jul 2007 NMBIRD,      Finally, this afternoon (20 July), 2 gorgeous adult male CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRDS made an appearance at the residential feeders in the Sandia Mtn foothills of NE Albuquerque (Bernalillo Co.). The Calliopes were trying their best to avoid the masses of aggressive Rufous and Black-chinneds crowding the feeders. Migrant CAHUs have been showing up all across the state during the past week. There were upwards of 20 Rufous Hummingbirds present throughout the afternoon. Hummingbird migration is in full swing! Good Birding, Devin Bosler LSU-Baton Rouge Hawks Aloft, Inc. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:00:26 -0700 From: Edward Strong <[log in to unmask]> Subject: AZ:Mingus Mountain near Jerome Enjoyed the coolness on Mingus Mountain which is located between Prescott and Jerome on Hwy 89A. The dirt mountain road is wide so it is good for vehicles to pass by one another. Highlights for me were several VIRGINIA'S and GRACE'S WARBLERs about the Fee Day Use area. They were mostly amongst MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, PYGMY and WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHs. The only other warbler I saw was an ORANGE CROWNED. There were many WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES and a couple OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHERs. WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were looking very drab at the Church Meadow Wildlife Area. Saw a Juvenile RED CROSSBILL, but no adults, at the first parking area closest to Hwy. 89A. BAND-TAILED PIGEONS were high up the slope as I was driving up and I needed a scope to see them well enough and never saw them again.   I saw 25 species. The solid gray sky with the birds being at the upper levels of the pine trees made it difficult to see them other than being a silhouette, so I perhaps missed IDing other birds here today.   Good Birding Ed Strong Sun Lakes, AZ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:57:49 -0700 From: Krista <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Calliope Hummers NM About a week ago I saw a gorgeous male Calliope at the feeders on the Sandia Crest. He perched on my moms finger. Sorry for the late report.       Krista Sorra         --------------------------------- Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. ------------------------------ End of BIRDWG05 Digest - 19 Jul 2007 to 20 Jul 2007 (#2007-202) *************************************************************** __________________________________________________ ########################################################### * Audubon Society of Missouri's * * Wild Bird Discussion Forum * *---------------------------------------------------------* * To subscribe or unsubscribe, click here: * * https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1 * *---------------------------------------------------------* * To access the list archives, click here: * * http://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html * * * * To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web * * Site: http://mobirds.org * ###########################################################