Re: Poems from Guantanamo

Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:12:52 +1000

text/plain

"Most people in America, and I'm speaking about the masses of people,
live a better life than anywhere else in the world,"

Oh dear,  look I try - I do - to say nothing on this list,.... because I
have not paid my dues.

But let me bleat in  the spirit of Nancy Gish's assertion that one can't
just say nothing in  the face of this sort of thing that ...we are still
in Iraq with you even if you haven't noticed us there and as opposed to
your own  death toll ours has been minor.

 But next to no one in this country is really convinced this war was
justified. That it is a conviction here for at least 70% plus of the
population (according to the polls) that your country - and so ourselves
by association-  are involved in torture and other gross abuses of the
things you say you stand for and which in a sentimental way we have
accepted... notwithstanding all the stuff we came to believe from your
abolute dominance of our media about yourselves.

Just recall we are not the French you like to sneer at. We are those
like minded Aussies. But we don't believe it.  We are more or less
despondent in our
knowledge we have been up to our neck in stuff which- if we were not
writing the history - would be called war crimes. And when you pull out
as you will we will be morally responsible too for the stuff which
happens.  But let me not take up arms about things too fancy. Rather let
me address this piece of self important nonsense.

Kate all of us who have been over there where you are feel sorry for you
people, no rancour  no nothing it just aint so great where your are
that's all. You just don't know that elsewhere is better.  Guantanamo?-
we thiink of it as a disgrace whether the people there are good or bad.
And matey that's the opinion of your friends. But I guess you will want
to argue about the quality of your urban infrastructure  not whether the
honourable history of your country is being soiled.

Have a nice day

Pete (in Melbourne, Australia)