Re: Personal reactions or "We want you"

Paul Meahan <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 27 May 2007 23:05:07 -0400

text/plain

Hello all,

I too have stayed away from posting for an extremely long time (so
long that I'd imagine few of you even remember me).  There are aspects
of this list that are disheartening.  I find that this has little to
do with the academic qualifications of the poster, and more to do with
the nature of the posts themselves.  I am, I suppose, an "academic"
(as I am not an "artist" or whatever other qualifications/categories
that we have represented here).  As far as I know, I have never
butchered rabbits and I rather enjoy change.  This is to say, that
certain readings of poems are at times pooh-poohed on this list
because they are "academic" and I have no idea where that kind of
animosity comes from.  Sometimes, not all times but upon occasion, a
person with an academic background in Eliot knows something more about
a poem because of what he or she has read, written, or studied.  That
should be obvious, and should not be threatening.  Conversely, I (as
one of the self-styled academics) ought to remember that my reading of
Eliot is constrained by my education despite my love for him.  I miss
things all of the time that "non-academics" on this list prioritise.
It gives me pause to think.  If I disagree with what you have said, I
do not believe that telling you so diminishes you.  It may diminish
your ideas, or you may diminish mine ... that is the nature of a
debate and I am willing to accept that.  It does not, as far as I am
aware, cause harm to furry animals of any species.

Oh, and I love Wikipedia, though I also caution my students against
using it.  The selling point for me is the discussion tab, where many
serious people are trying to asymptotically "get it right".  It is a
project that grows, and hopefully its accuracy will also grow over
time.  The more concerned and knowledgeable posters, the better the
site becomes.

I will again endeavour to participate on the list.  But I am sorry,
Nancy, that I have very little knowledge concerning WWI and TWL other
than the usual stuff that you can read anywhere.

Best,
Paul Meahan