]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  April 2007, Week 4

MOBIRDS-L April 2007, Week 4

SLAS BOOTHEEL TRIP REPORT 4/20-4/22/2007-LONG

Patrick Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

Patrick Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:53:18 -0500

text/plain

Posted here for Joe Eades:

SLAS BOOTHEEL TRIP REPORT 4/20-4/22/2007-LONG

HIGHLIGHTS:

MISSISSIPPI KITE

BLACK VULTURE

BLACK-NECKED STILT

HUDSONIAN GODWIT

AMERICAN PIPIT

WHITE-WINGED DOVE

SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER

HOODED WARBLER

SWAINSON'S WARBLER

FRIDAY, April 20 Scouting Report. Jim Malone, Pat Lueders, Susan Eaton and I
left St. Louis Friday morning around 4:00 am to do some scouting for the St.
Louis Audubon weekend Bootheel field trip. Interrupted only by a fire-orange
fat ball of a sunrise, we went straight to Donaldson Point Conservation Area
to see if the Swainson's Warbler heard and seen there last year had arrived.
Initially we heard nothing, but continued to spend the next 45 minutes or so
listening. Finally, we got out of the vehicle and walked the road a bit. It
wasn't long before we heard the singing SWAINSON'S WARBLER! We looked and
looked and pished and pished, but could not see the bird. Playing the
Swainson's song on the CD seemed to make the bird retreat. Although we tried
for an additional

45 minutes or so, we never saw the bird. We knew where we would bring the
group first thing Saturday morning though!

Leaving Donaldson, we followed the backroads along the levee. We saw a
couple of Eastern Kingbirds. A man in a white pick-up asked us "Are you
lost?". "No, we know EXACTLY where we are" was our reply. We told him we
were bird-watchers and that began a heartening conversation about the
ongoing habitat improvements on his extensive tract of farmland in the area.
Wetlands reserves and re-planting of cane stands were just a couple of the
projects he is involved in. It was nice to run into a local man with such a
love of the land, a love of nature, and a love of birds in particular.

Just before reaching Ten Mile Pond, coming up highway 102 from the south, we
spotted a large transient body of water. There were several shorebirds here,
including 4 very close BLACK-NECKED STILTS, several Pectoral Sandpipers and
Lesser Yellowlegs, some Least Sandpipers, a Semipalmated Sandpiper, a
Solitary Sandpiper and a Spotted Sandpiper.

There were also several species of duck and Jim Malone picked out two
AMERICAN PIPITS. He was kind enough to put them in his scope for the rest of
us. We birded Ten Mile Pond and found that there were many shorebirds (100s
and 100s). Most were visible only when they would take wing in response to a
raptor and, upon landing, would disappear into visually impenetrable
vegetation. Those that could be seen were Pectorals and Lesser Yellowlegs (1
Greater). A group of 15 or so American White Pelicans loitered in the
shallow water.

We then covered the short stretch of road back to Big Oak Tree State Park.
It was a little late and not exactly loaded with migrants, but we did see or
hear: Summer Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Black-throated Green Warbler,
Prothonotary Warbler, Northern Parula Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler,
Hermit Thrush and BLUE-HEADED VIREO. Two GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS and a few
DARK-EYED JUNCOS were getting LATE!

We looked for the White-winged Dove in Mississippi County. We did not see
it, but thought we heard it.

We spent the latter half of the day scouting Otter Slough Conservation Area.
It was quite productive, giving us 80-100 Snow Geese and a small sub-group
of 9 ROSS'. Many of the geese were limping, apparently lame.

Several other species of waterfowl were present, including a lingering
female BUFFLEHEAD. Sora sounded off from the roadside. An AMERICAN BITTERN
suddenly materialized at close range. It froze. It tried to slink and slank,
it slunk.

There were at least 2000 shorebirds here and the habitat was very good in
some places. Many times the shorebirds would disappear into areas of tall
vegetation. A large group of Dowitchers were seen (low hundreds).

Jim identified a SHORT-BILLED among the numerous Long-billed. A few DUNLIN
were seen.

Pat Lueders led us to the back section of Otter Slough Conservation Area
(where I had never been before) and showed us additional excellent habitat.
A Bald Eagle nest with young was a nice sight. We heard several MARSH WRENS
and a single SEDGE WREN. One Marsh Wren responded to pishing and wound its
way through the grass to meet us. We ended the day with a striking CASPIAN
TERN, "flying on the wing". Same flame-orange ball, now slipping behind the
trees. We met most of the group at Lambert's in Sikeston about 20 minutes
late (8:20 pm) for dinner. Everyone had plenty to eat!

Daily total species for Friday's scouting: 121.

OFFICIAL TRIP REPORT

LEADERS: Joe Eades and Jim Malone

16 PARTICIPANTS.

WEATHER: beautiful, clear, light wind, with high in the 70s both Saturday
and Sunday. Wind picking up strongly out of the south by mid-morning Sunday.

MIGRATION NOTES: Slow start on Friday, with low numbers of many of the
expected birds for this date. Slower still on Saturday, but additional
species present and conspicuous. Numbers and diversity of passerines really
picking up on Sunday. 22 species of warblers for the trip.

Shorebird numbers excellent, in part due to extensive good habitat.

Shorebird species diversity: just so-so, 14 species for the trip.

SATURDAY, April 21: 5:30 am-we met in the lobby of the Days Inn in Sikeston.
Areas visited: Donaldson Point Conservation Area, Big Oak Tree State Park,
and Ten Mile Pond Conservation Area. Another sunrise.

The day ended with dinner and a room in Dexter, Missouri. Another sunset.

We arrived at Donaldson Point just before 7:00 am and heard the singing
SWAINSON'S WARBLER as we arrived. Our 6-car caravan seemed to frighten the
bird as it stopped singing immediately. We pulled the cars forward and
listened from inside for 20 minutes or so. Nothing. We got out very quietly
and continued to listen. We located the bird again by song, but looked and
pished and looked and pished without any success.

This is one of the hardest birds to see. We were patient and we were
persistent. We finally did resort to playing the song on CD quietly a few
times. Initially, the bird retreated and did not seem responsive.

We did not play the song anymore. After several minutes, the bird was really
very close to us and singing loud and proud. So frustrating, in that it was
right there for 45 minutes, seemingly unmoving and INVISIBLE! Finally, for
whatever reason, boredom, latent curiosity, or response to very quiet
pishing, it popped up! It was about 25 to 30 feet high and completely
unobstructed for about 90 seconds, singing its head off with throat full of
vibrato. VOILA! Half the group got to see it and see it well! Afterwards, I
even did a "whisper version" of the "Missouri Life Bird Dance". It was not a
lifer for me, but it was for several people in the group. If you look for
this bird, please put the interest of the bird, its habitat and breeding
success ahead of your own wants and needs. Be patient. We were granted
success without leaving the road. Other sightings at Donaldson Point
included Rose-breasted Grosbeak and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest. So
intricate!

Big Oak Tree State Park was less productive than the day before, but the
beauty of this bottomland forest may be unmatched in Missouri. The park
kiosk states that 3 living trees in the park are 150' tall or greater
(maximum 157'). Gazing skyward from the base of the state champion Burr Oak
along the boardwalk puts things in perspective; me little, tree BIG!

In addition to the common migrants and summer residents, we did see CERULEAN
WARBLER, Black-throated Green Warbler, Prairie Warbler, Broad-winged Hawk
(2-sky high), MISSISSIPPI KITE and BLACK VULTURE (4).

Yellow-throated Vireos croaked their greetings. Yellow-throated Warblers
serenaded us from the cypress. A HOODED WARBLER was heard in the distance.
Those that walked to the end of the boardwalk were treated to a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, a Black & White Warbler and close-up looks at a
Prothonotary Warbler. The song of the "Golden Swamp Warbler"

echoed everywhere through the swamp. During our lunch break, we met the park
naturalist, an enthusiastic young woman who told us of the landscape and
ecosystem management projects underway at Big Oak. Fire is being used and
Hackberry trees are being girdled to encourage the re-growth of cane in the
park. We told her about "our" Swainson's Warbler. She had a Swainson's
Warbler in the park last year. This species has been absent as a breeder
here for decades. The cane stands there now look thicker and healthier than
they have in many years.

The flooded field that had been so productive yesterday had fewer birds
today , but nice looks at BLACK-NECKED STILTS at close range is always
special.

We birded Ten Mile Pond Conservation Area during the heat of the

afternoon and did not see anything terribly exciting.

The Mississippi county WHITE-WINGED DOVE did cooperate. Everyone got great
looks and Jim Malone put the scope on it to show off the beautiful blue
eye-ring. From there it was off to Dexter and dinner at the Dexter
Bar-B-Que. Delicious! Accommodations in Dexter were at the Country Hearth
Inn.

Daily total species for Saturday, April 21: 119

SUNDAY, April 22: 5:30 am-we met in the lobby of the Dexter Country Hearth
Inn. First stop, Duck Creek Conservation Area. Other spots

visited: Mingo National Wildlife Refuge, Butler County and Otter Slough
Conservation Area.

Another sunrise...It is immediately apparent that a lot more migrants are
present in the area. South winds had brought us an influx of birds!

Tanagers of both species were conspicuous. The first we encountered was a
singing male SUMMER TANAGER in a treetop as we entered Duck Creek.

Male SCARLET TANAGERS were seen as well. We drove around to the north end of
the main body of water in hopes that the vegetation there would harbor a
Common Moorhen or, better yet, a Purple Gallinule. Mick Richardson did see a
COMMON MOORHEN as we circled the lake. We passed lots of singing migrants
because I had Purple Gallinule on my mind. We stopped for one group when Jim
Malone head a singing BLACKPOLL WARBLER.

On the wooded back section of the one-way loop we had good looks at two
perched BARRED OWLS. The day before, we had seen 8 Barred Owls, many out in
the open in broad daylight along the levee road. There was a lot of habitat
and shorebird activity in the area adjacent to the far entrance to the one
way loop, so we circled the lake again and went back there. That was a good
move, because among the hundreds of shorebirds was a pair of HUDSONIAN
GODWITS (male and female). We enjoyed great scope views at relatively close
range and in good light. There were also 3 Semipalmated Plovers and a group
of Long-billed Dowitchers. We got another great look at an AMERICAN BITTERN,
spotted by Susan Eaton.

Every bittern we saw, and we had 6 sightings over a three-day period, was at
a distance of about 15-20 feet! The extra time spent at Duck Creek probably
cheated us out of some good birds at Mingo National Wildlife Refuge, because
the morning chorus of song and peak activity had passed. Also, the wind
really picked up around mid-morning, which made birding more difficult. It
is always nice to feel such a force of nature! David Scheu saw a HOODED
WARBLER along the boardwalk trail.

Our walk did produce several KENTUCKY WARBLERS (but all by song), Gray
Catbird, Yellow-breasted Chat and Ruby-throated Hummingbird feeding on the
pretty red buckeye. We took a lunch break in Puxico before poking around
Mingo a little more.

Some folks decided to get a head start home, The remainder decided to go
check on a Butler County Scissor-tailed Flycatcher that had been present the
previous two summers. We got great looks at the beautiful male
SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER, although it was about 12 telephone poles south of
where it was last year. From there it was off to Otter Slough Conservation
Area, our last stop of the trip.

Highlights at Otter Slough were: WORM-EATING WARBLER, a resting CASPIAN
TERN, AMERICAN BITTERN (3) about 400 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS among the

2000+ shorebirds. At least 12 Dunlin were in the mix. A good number of

migrant passerines were hunkered down out of the wind near the visitor
center. GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS were heard singing along highway ZZ as we began
our long and winding road home. Another sunset. Truth be told, after that
particular bend, the road home was straight as an arrow.

Daily total species for Sunday, April 22: 128. We did not find a Purple
Gallinule. At least I didn't have to buy anyone lunch!

Trip total species (approximate): 157.

Joe Eades

Kirkwood, Missouri

  _____