Yet another nemesis bird

Tom Fuller <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:58:07 -0600

text/plain

These are great stories. Keep 'em coming.

To that end, I add my nemesis bird -- but with a happy ending.

Peregrine Falcon.

Yes, yes, I hear you all muttering "So what's so hard about finding a Peregrine?"

I've been birding off and on since 1962. My life list in 1962 had 22 birds. Since about that time, I have gazed longingly at the pictures of Peregrine Falcons in my various field guides. (I still have my first: 1959 Peterson's.) It is a captivating and magnificent bird. It is the fastest animal in the kingdom. It is regaled in medieval  poem and legend. And it just LOOKS so fierce and cool.

I have visited cities where Peregrines live on buildings: Boston, New York St. Louis. I *worked* *three* *years* for an organization in Boston that had a Peregrine regularly visiting the 24th through 26th floor window ledges. Friends -- keen to my birding interest in general and Peregrine fever in particular -- would call me when one was dozing on the ledge. I would run to the elevator, ride down to the lobby, run to the other elevator, jump up and down in the elevator to speed it up, run to the window -- only to hear something like: "That's funny. He's been asleep on the ledge for a couple hours, but just woke up and soared off." Maybe next time.

I attended a school (WashU) for five years that had a Peregrine pair nesting on the heat tower. I worked in Jolley Hall -- right next to the heat tower! Everyone in the building saw the pair. Strangers would comment on the friendly falcons posing by the window. All I had to do was glance at a window to render the pair totally transparent. I never passed the heat tower without checking for the falcons. Not a glimpse in five years.

Sue and I visited a lake in upstate New York rumored to swarm with Peregrines. Spent hours there. Nada, Ate a picnic lunch by the lake with binoc at the ready. Nada. (although I could sware I heard faint snickering in the pines -- doubtless the whole flock of Peregrines watching us return to the car).

Then -- in the new millenium -- the Riverlands/Clark Bridge reports started. Birding friends (and Mobirders) would mention the Peregrine "on the guard rail" by Riverland Way, or on the one of the two Clark Bridge towers. Reports would say: "Not much at Riverlands today: Song Sparrows, House Finches, Redwing, nothing else (and the Peregrine on Clark Bridge of course). One reporter even added a second email after the initial report of several dozen species: "I forgot the mention the usual Peregrine on Clark Bridge."

I visit Riverlands almost every week -- sometimes a few times in a week. I ALWAYS checked the bridge. Nada. Nada.

Nada for YEARS.

The magnitude of the conspiracy to trick me into believing that the Peregrine is not extinct is overwhelming. Hundreds of birders in more than a dozen states are apparently in on the joke. (I wonder if that's why they named that building Jolley Hall? The joke's on me!) This makes the Lee Harvey Oswald conspiracy look like a surprise party for a six-year old.

All this changed March 20, 2005.

I was gazing at the usual suspects in Heron Pond when a hawk caught my eye flying over Riverlands Way and landing in some trees toward the Headquarters Building. I couldn't quite make out the hawk again, but I swung the spotting scope -- one more time -- at Clark Bridge. Gasp! A bird was perched on the Missouri tower! Zooming the scope, I could see that it must be a falcon or something a lot like a falcon.

I threw the scope in the car and drove to the Ellis Island parking lot. The bird was still there and I was now much closer. The setting sun broke through the clouds and the Peregrine was bathed in golden light. It was still too far for a great picture, but I took a dozen anyway. It was unmistakable through the scope. I half expected the pictures to come out blank (like all those UFO pictures of the 1960's.) But the aliens and conspirators didn't get their way. Even the pictures (though grainy) are unmistakable. My long-sought Peregrine!

I delightedly read all I could find that night about Peregrines and proudly added it to my Excel-bound lifelist. (No. It was not in Excel in 1962, but thanks for asking.) When I added it, I realized with a start that it was the 500th bird on the list -- perhaps the only bird I could envision worthy of being the 500th bird on my list.

I've seen the Peregrine (and two sometimes) since then on Clark Bridge, and saw one in Florida. Once the jinx is broken, I guess you start seeing the birds that others have been seeing all along.

I have added a few more birds to the life list since then, but I doubt one will ever give quite the satisfaction of that one.

This got longer than I intended, but thanks for reading. And thanks to the others that shared their stories and inspired this writer.

Tom Fuller
Principia College
Jersey County, IL