MOBIRDS-L January 2007, Week 2

Rio Grande Valley Summary

Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:27:32 +0000

text/plain

This is written in the hopes that birders currently in brrr conditions will enjoy, take heart and dream of
birding adventures past and to come.

We've been in the Rio Grande Valley for two weeks and (after making arrangements for extended cat
care) have delayed our departure one day because of the weather between us and home.

The weather will keep us from chasing some good Texas birds--Snow Bunting, White-winged Scoter
and Northern Shrike as we take a more easterly route north.

We've enjoyed great weather--a couple of cool mornings necessitating multiple layers, but mostly in
the 70s, with rain for parts of 3 days.  Wind has been a little high a couple of days.

Some "events":

Salineno--the birds and visiting with Gale and Pat DeWind two times were highlights.  Audubon's,
Altamira, Hooded and Bullock's Orioles, Bewick's Wren, Longbilled Thrasher,  Olive Sparrow, and the
three Brown Jays were among the jewels bedecking their yard.  No trip to the Valley should skip
Salineno.  The site is on the Birding Trail maps and is in the RGV Birding Guide.  Although not required,
visitors often donate a couple dollars toward bird feed and/or bring peanut butter, lard, corn meal,
sunflower seeds, or oranges.  If you go, consider stopping in Roma (the nearest town) and pick up a
couple of cheeseburgers and fries for Pat and Gale--they don't "get out" often.  Oh, and tell them Edge
says Hi.

While up at that end, take some time to drop by the newest World Birding Center at Roma.  It is toward
the river on Lincoln Street (just follow the signs from the highway through town).  Not as pretentious as
a couple of the others, you may wish to make a purchase or two there to help them out.  Very clean new
restrooms.

We have seen nearly 200 species since entering Texas.  Hagerman NWR up by Dennison produced the
expected Sparrows--great looks at Harris's, and a Downy Woodpecker (they're not found in the Valley).

The route southeast of Kingsville on FM 720 and spurs from it got us to Sandhill Cranes--I'll never tire
of hearing those wonderful Gruuuu, Gruuuu sounds--, Snow, Ross's and White-fronted Geese and
White-tailed Hawks and Caracaras.

We've hit nearly every birding venue from South Padre Island to Falcon County Park, most with expected
results, a couple with disapointment.
Most disapointing may be the boardwalk at the SPI convention center.  The offshore birds were as
expected (spoonbills, ibis, herons, egrets, gulls) but the growth in the marsh has become so dense that
the water flow and bird population has changed dramatically--despite three trips, we found only Sora,
coots and moorhens--no other rails there, although Clapper was reported by one visitor.

The "hangglider beach"--take the dirt/sand track just north of the convention center drive--produced
all hoped-for plovers:  Semi-palmated, Snowy, Piping and Black-bellied, and skimmers.

The place we call shrimp boat basin, a fishing access along hwy 48 is still good for skimmers,
oystercatchers, gulls, etc.

We learned that it is possible to bury a trailblazer up to the frame in the muck of the south end of
Laguna Madre (out behind the sad village near Boca Chica).  Learned later that the usual fee for a pull
out is $40.  Cost us one 12 pack of Bud Lite purchased at the only business open in town.  It wasn't our
fault, by the way.  A white-phase Reddish Egret was standing stock still, denying its true identity by
refusing to dance around.  A closer look was required and that closer look was via the treacherous
muck.  Moral:  Pay no heed to immobile Reddish-Egrets.

Boca Chica's "gull roost" near the pier at the north end included Royal, Caspian, Forster's, Sandwich and
one Common Tern.  Gull-billed Terns were seen along Hwy 4 on the way out.  We saw only one gannet
cruising south off Boca Chica.

Anzalduas County Park (up near Bentsen) has been a haven for a great mixed flock of warblers.  We
made three trips there.  Also seen there were Gray Hawk and Zone-tailed Hawk.  The latter was the
cause of the only casualty of the trip, a sprained ankle gotten while pursuing a look as it soared away.

As things go in birding, three days later we were treated to a sitting Zone-tail across the resaca from
the viewing blind at Sabal Palm Grove east of Brownsville.  We made two trys there for the Gray-
crowned Yellowthroats (2 have been seen), missed them, but did not try as hard/long as we would have
if it had been a lifer for anyone in the group.

Frontera was a bit disappointing--little action the day we were there.  Our best find there was the
resident Ovenbird and a Summer Tanager.

Nearby Estero Llano Grande SP and Birding Center was pleasant--easy walking around wetlands.  No
jacana, but we did find the Cinnamon Teal.  This was one of several places where anis have been seen
recently, but not by us.

We enjoyed the dirt field road that parallels the flood channel off FM 1015 just south of Estero Llano
Grande, shorebirds and Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, spoonbills and other waders.

At a site new to us, Progresso Lakes, we were a bit frustrated trying to peek through the private lots to
see the water.  Did find an opening next to a house with a For Sale sign.  The 200 or so birds we
thought were cormorants on our first pass morphed into whistling ducks the second drive-by, and
among them were 2 fulvous.

Santa Ana NWR was good.  The new tree tower at the parking area just beyond the old manager's
residence gives wonderful canopy-top views.  We had a up close, personal look at warblers on our first
stop there (the day I got my Senior Pass, the new "old people's card" that is the new version of the
Golden Age Pass.  For $10 and 62 years of life this gets one and anyone else in the car into federal sites
free).  On a subsequent visit we got good looks at the second Tropical Parula for the trip.

Quinta Mazatlan on 10th St (a.k.a. FM 336) south of US 83 in McAllen is a very pleasant birding venue.
A new World Birding Center based on grounds around an adobe mansion.  Tropical Parula in residence.

Bentsen Rio Grande State Park continues to disappoint.  Feeders are filled twice a day, and are empty 90
per cent of the time.  The javalinas are "cute" as they hog the feeding areas.

The McAllen sewage ponds exist in name only.  They are largely dry, being used as landfill for plant
material.  Did have great looks at Tropical Kingbirds there.

The only Bronzed Cowbird we found was with starlings on Ware Rd. a couple blocks north of 281 as we
left the sewage ponds.

We found Pauraque in Lincoln Park here in Brownsville.

The most pleasant and highly productive area to walk in/around is the Fort Brown Resaca on the
University of Texas-Brownsville/Southmost College campus.  It is off Elizabeth/University (just across
the street from the Fort Brown Condoshares).  It is a major roost area--all species of egrets/herons but
reddish, both cormorants species, anhinga, white ibis, even a white pelican, three species of kingfisher,
osprey, Least Grebe, Mottled Duck.  Go after 4:30 p.m. to see the roosting birds.

At Laguna Atascosa NWR we enjoyed walking the trail at the visitor center and taking the Bayside Drive.
Got good, but distant, looks at Marbled Godwits, Long-billed Curlew and Whimbrel.

We're bidding adios to the Valley this morning--a bit sultry here the last couple of days.  Probably no
email until we are home.

Bodacious birding to all,

Edge Wade
Brownsville, TX