Snowy owl story from Sunday Telegraph

Stephen Whitworth <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:49:46 -0600

text/plain

Hello Mobirders:
     Here is the article I wrote and that appeared in the Sunday Telegraph
about the New Year's Day snowy owl. My caveat is that I'm writing for the
general readership and so didn't get into a lotta discussion about the
frequency of snowy owl visits to our area or theories of why this bird
showed up in this place. I also had included a little more scientific info
about the owl's range, preferred habitat, physical characteristics, etc.,
but my story was shortened somewhat on the Copy Desk. Anyway, here it is:

Snowy owl spotted in area dies of injuries
By STEVE WHITWORTH
The Telegraph
BRIGHTON — A ghostly visitor from the north thrilled a handful of lucky
observers near Roxana on New Year’s Day but later met a tragic end, despite
the best efforts of those who tried to save it.
Motorists driving along Illinois 255 on Monday were startled to see a snowy
owl perched atop a highway sign at the Roxana exit.
“I was driving on 255 with my niece when I saw a car stopped along the road.
I looked up and saw the owl sitting on the sign, and I went ‘eeeeent,’” said
Mary Ruder of Prairietown, imitating the sound of her pickup truck’s
squealing brakes.
Ruder, 46, is not exactly an avid birdwatcher, but she knew that the white
owl on the sign was a rare sighting.
“I’m familiar with them from school,” she said. “I thought it was neat and
unusual to see a snowy owl.”
Ruder said she started becoming more interested in birds after moving to the
countryside near Prairietown a few years ago.
“We have turkey vultures out here; I had never seen one before we moved
here,” she said. “And I see red-tailed hawks, and I take pictures of the
eagles.”
Thanks to her penchant for photography, Ruder had her Canon digital camera
with her in the truck, so she pulled onto the shoulder of the highway, got
out and approached the striking-looking bird to capture its image.
“I walked up practically to where the sign was and took pictures,” Ruder
said. “She just looked down at me, and I looked up at her. She didn’t move.”
Ruder wasn’t the only one who noticed the snowy owl, a species that has
become familiar to millions of children around the world thanks to its
prominent role in the “Harry Potter” series of books and films. In North
America, the bird’s normal range is the Arctic, Alaska, Canada and the
northern tier of the United States, but it sometimes is found in more
southerly states during the winter.
Word about the unusual sighting quickly went out to the network of
enthusiastic birdwatchers in the St. Louis area, several of whom were lucky
enough to get to the area before daylight gave out on New Year’s Day and
observe it on its roadside perch.
Unfortunately, something terrible happened between Monday evening and
Tuesday morning, when a worker at the ConocoPhillips Wood River Refinery in
Roxana found the owl injured on the ground along the highway. The bird
apparently had been hit by a vehicle, possibly while swooping down to catch
a rodent or other prey animal.
The worker took the bird to the oil refinery’s guard shack, where employees
called the Treehouse Wildlife Center in Brighton, which cares for injured
birds of prey and other animals. Treehouse volunteers went to the refinery,
picked up the injured owl and took it back to the center for treatment.
Pam Lippert of Treehouse said it appeared the injury was fresh and that the
bird could not have flown after being hurt.
“It had a compound fracture of the left humerus (which corresponds to the
upper arm bone of a human being),” Lippert said. “It was a real diagonal
kind of break. There was also a piece of bone kind of floating loose in
there, too.
“We kind of knew from the get-go that it probably wasn’t going to be
releasable, but we were hoping to at least save the wing to keep it in
captivity,” she said. The bird also had an injury to the cornea of its right
eye, Lippert said.
After Treehouse volunteers nursed the owl for several days to try to
stabilize its condition, a veterinarian attempted to surgically repair its
severely broken wing Friday morning, but the ordeal was too much for the
bird, which died during the operation.
“Our vet was trying to get the puzzle back together, but it wasn’t meant to
be,” Lippert said. “We did our best. It was a long shot.”
Lippert said that if the bird had been found with such a severe injury in
its normal range, such as Minnesota or Canada, wildlife rehabilitators
probably would have euthanized it immediately, but because it is so rare to
find a snowy owl in Southwestern Illinois, Treehouse volunteers “wanted to
try everything we could to save it.”
She said the snowy owl was the first to be brought in to Treehouse in the 20
years she has worked there and only the second since its founding in 1979.
Adult male snowy owls display plumage that is nearly pure white, but this
bird had dark bars all over its body and the top of the head, which Lippert
said indicated it probably was female. It could have been a juvenile male,
she said, but the vet did not open up the bird’s internal organs to confirm
its gender. Area birders also identified the bird as most likely being a
female.
Lippert also described the bird as “a little on the thin side,” weighing 3.5
pounds.
She said it seemed unusual that the snowy owl would be so far south,
considering that the winter in the area has been unseasonably mild and there
was no snow cover at the time. Snowy owls are reported in this area
occasionally but usually during periods of colder weather, especially when
there is snow on the ground.
Even so, birdwatchers in several nearby states, including Missouri, Kansas
and Iowa, have reported seeing snowy owls this winter. A snowy owl was seen
in the Springfield, Ill., area last winter, but it also was injured from
being hit by a vehicle and had to be euthanized.
Lippert said Treehouse volunteers hope to preserve the bird’s body.
“It’s cosmetically good enough that it would make a good mount,” she said.
“It’s such a rare bird around here, it would be a good thing to have for our
education programs. A lot of children are familiar with snowy owls through
‘Harry Potter.’”