Re: RFI -- ABA countable birds

Edge <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:32:18 -0600

text/plain

Bob's concern for counting in accordance with ABA rules is of concern
to anyone who has lists published in ABA's annual listings.  To keep
the "playing field level," all therein abide by the same rules.
True, they may not be set in stone, but we follow them as best we can
as a matter of honor and order.

Anyone is free to put any bird on any list he/she pleases, but if a
birder wishes to appear in ABA lists, said birder signs the report
form statement, "I affirm that in arriving at the totals reported on
this form, I have complied with all of the rules listed on the
reverse and with the ABA Code of Birding Ethics."

As I understand the rules:

1.  Yup, Bob, gets to keep the condor because he saw them BEFORE the
last one was taken into captivity.  And no, anyone who has seen one
outside captivity since then cannot count them (even the one that had
been wild, was in captivity then released [since died]).  That bird
is uncountable after the capture/release because it was human-assisted.

2.  The Crested Myna (one I've lost off my list) is by the rules
expunged from the list because it was an exotic that has been
extirpated. The reasoning being that apparently, like the European
Goldfinch, it was not really established (even though it hung on for
a century!).  [A bit of murky thinking, it could be argued,
especially since the demise of the Vancouver population is directly
related to the appearance of another exotic, the European Starling.]

3.  As to Bachman's Warbler, Bob heard it the last year it was an
accepted species; therefore, as the rule stands, he may count it if
he feels comfortable listing a heard bird--something he has
resisted.  If he counts the Bachman's Warbler he may also count the
Flammulated  Owl, but may choose not to, hoping to see it before
putting it on the list.

Good birding,

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO