Fantasy birding -- Smithville Lake

Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:04:14 -0600

text/plain

Some folks play fantasy football. I like to play fantasy birding -- i.e. to
imagine what rare birds are next likely to show up.

The game is usually played by asking a question like "What birds are likely
next to be added to the state list?" I'm a regular visitor to Smithville
Lake. So I pose the question differently, thus: "What zooties should we be
on the lookout for at Smithville Lake?"

Before, I attempt to answer my question, let me say that Smithville Lake and
Squaw Creek NWR are probably the next most likely places in Missouri, after
REDA, to turn up really rare birds -- at least until the duck season ends
and the shorebird season resumes next spring.  A location is likely to
produce good birds in direct proportion to the amount of birder visits it
gets. A case could be made that Eagle Bluffs deserves the distinction as
next-most-likely-producer-of-zooties-after-REDA on a year-round basis
because the Columbia contingent is sizeable and faithful. However, the duck
hunting season takes Eagle Bluffs out of contention for the time being.
Squaw Creek will also be a contender,  if only because Tommie Rogers
apparently visits it almost daily and Larry Lade goes there frequently. But
it will freeze up in December. Smithville Lake will probably be the second
most visited birding spot in Missouri over the next five or six months. I
estimate that it now gets about 25% as much coverage as REDA.

Here are some birds to look for at Smithville Lake:

YELLOW-BILLED LOON: With all the Common Loons using Smithville Lake, sooner
or later one of them will turn out to be a Yellow-billed. (Table Rock
Reservoir, where the first Yellow-billed Loon showed up,  is probably
Missouri's best lake for loons. But it is grossly underbirded).

RED-THROATED LOON: This used to be a very rare bird in Missouri. It is now
nearly annual at Smithville Lake.

PACIFIC LOON: I believe this species is now annual at Smithville Lake.

CLARK'S GREBE: The State's first Clark's Grebe was found at Smithville Lake,
and Kyle Driggers and I believe we saw another there 2003. I suspect it will
show up again.

RED-NECKED GREBE: Has been seen at Smithville before. Will be seen again.

LITTLE GULL:  There is one record of Little Gull at Smithville Lake, seen by
Dave Bryan. Little Gull has been seen a number of times in eastern Kansas. I
believe they breed due north of us and migrate in small numbers down the
longitude of Smithville Lake.

CALIFORNIA GULL: There are quite a few fall and winter records for
California Gull in eastern Kansas. Dave Easterla reported one from
Smithville Lake in May that drew a lively debate on the MBRC, but I don't
know of any records there in fall or winter. I think we're due for one.

THAYER'S GULL: There are several records for Thayer's Gull at Smithville
Lake, including one earlier this year. But for the most part, we tend not to
expect to find them there. I think that is a mistake. Thayer's Gull is
annual in eastern Kansas (albeit not at every eastern Kansas lake). They
should show up fairly often at Smithville Lake.

COMMON BLACK-HEADED GULL: There are several records for eastern Kansas. Why
not at Smithville Lake?

MEW GULL:  There are records for Tuttle Creek Reservoir and at the former
Wichita landfill in Kansas. One was at Red Rocks Reservoir in Iowa earlier
this fall.  I'm ambivalent as to whether to expect Mew Gull at Smithville
Lake. It is possible that Mew Gulls are being overlooked because they
resemble Ring-billed Gulls. Or they may really be as rare as the scarcity of
records indicates.

BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE:  I saw one come in to the gull roost at Smithville
November 26, 1995. It was gone the next morning. I suspect that regular
observation of the gull roost would turn up kittiwakes now and then.

POMARINE JAEGER: I (and many others) have seen at least three different
Pomarine Jaegers at Smithville Lake, including one in early November, 1996,
another in late November/early December, 1996 and another November bird
before I started keeping computer records in 1991. The species will occur
there again.

PARASITIC JAEGER: The late November/early December Pomarine in 1996 was
accompanied by a Parasitic, and both were seen and photographed at the same
time. I think this species is more likely to show up earlier in the fall,
but there is that one precedent for November/December 1996.

RED PHALAROPE:  I have seen Red Phalarope swimming off the dam of an eastern
Kansas lake but never in Missouri.
They should be looked for at Smithville Lake, especially in October.

LONG-BILLED MURRLET: There are a number of interior records of this alcid,
including one in Kansas. It's a long shot, but keep your eyes open.

HARLEQUIN DUCK: If it can show up at Wyandotte County Lake, why not at
Smithville Lake?

BARROW'S GOLDENEYE:  To be looked for in February, when the Goldeneye move.

NORTHERN WHEATEAR:  I know of at least four records of Wheatear in other
states roughly along the same longitude as Smithville Lake. They like rip
rap and behave like Rock Wrens.

ROCK WREN: There are several eastern Kansas rcords of Rock Wren on the rip
rap of the dams of lakes like Clinton Lake and Perry Lake. Why not at
Smithville Lake?

I'm tiring of this fantasy, but has been fun. I hope you have enjoyed it
too.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri