Re: Field Trip Report - Photos

Mike Grant <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:10:14 -0500

text/plain

I have uploaded a few photos to:

http://mikecurlew.smugmug.com/gallery/2009884

I apologize for the Peregrine Falcon 'silhouette' pictures, but the bird was
10 miles away directly into the sunlight and the wind was tornado strength.
Well maybe not quite that bad but you get the idea.

Mike Grant
Chesterfield, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Michael & Jo Ellen Thelen
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Field Trip Report -- Long

St. Louis Audubon Society
Field Trip Report
Saturday, October 14, 2006

--  Two Rivers NWR, Gilbert Lake Division (Jersey County, Illinois) and
Calhoun Division (Calhoun County, Illinois).
--  Lincoln Shields Recreation Area and Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary
(St. Charles County, Missouri).

19 very congenial birders joined today's ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY field
trip on, what I can call without exaggeration, a spectacular fall day.  We
enjoyed cool fall temperatures and a glorious, cloudless blue sky.  Overall,
it was a birdy day -- although we didn't see as many sparrows as I had hoped
for -- and I've attempted to put some numbers to the species we saw and
heard.  Fall colors seemed to be muted in the early morning light, but were
brilliant in the afternoon sun, especially as we crossed the Brussels Ferry
on our return trip from Calhoun County to Jersey County.

Some birds, including several raptors, got away unidentified because they
were just too high, too far away, or had dived into the vegetation and lost
themselves.  Mike Grant and Dave Faintich photographed some of the birds
today and promised to share their good ones.  At 4:30 p.m. the group was at
Lock & Dam 26 on the Mississippi River, tired but happy, so we didn't make
it to Confluence State Park.

By my count, 82 species for the day.

Start:    08:00 at Two Rivers NWR, Gilbert Lake Division
End:      16:30 at Riverlands MBS, Lock & Dam 26

The weather at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport at 04:51:
Temp     38F
Hum      52%
Baro     30.04IN
Winds    W6MPH
Sky      Fair
Vis      10MI
Wndchl   34F

GILBERT LAKE DIVISION

We met here and spent a little extra time birding the area because there was
plenty to see.  We began in the parking lot just listening to the birds
around us and tallied 15 species quickly.  A YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO was a nice
surprise, and hopped from tree to tree right next to the lot for good looks.
Before we left the parking lot we spotted an OSPREY, perched on a snag next
to the Illinois River.

Along the trail we had BELTED KINGFISHER, ORANGE-CROWNED and BLACK-THROATED
GREEN WARBLERs, and a real nice look at a handsome BLUE-HEADED VIREO.  We
also saw both kinglets, and a few had a look at a distant, perched
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK.  BLUE JAYs and NORTHERN FLICKERs were numerous and
active and we spotted one EASTERN PHOEBE.  Farther up the slough there were
a small number of ducks and shorebirds, including yellowlegs and
unidentified peeps.  We attempted to approach for viewing, but the distance
and vegetation was a little too much and we retreated.

CALHOUN DIVISION

The staff and volunteers at Two Rivers NWR were hosting the refuge open
house and extended their hospitality to the Audubon birders.  I'd like to
offer our sincere thanks to all who made this visit special.

As we approached our first stop we spotted a good-sized flock of FRANKLIN'S
GULLs, in a variety of plumages, resting on the Illinois River.  We checked
in with the open house volunteers and birded the area around the floodgate,
seeing a few wading birds, swallows and shorebirds.

But the highlight here was the opportunity to bird along the north levee of
Swan Lake, officially closed for construction.  Ken, USF&WS biologist, was
so kind as to shuttle our group in his van out two miles along the levee to
the watch post, manned by Frank and Dan of the GREAT RIVERS AUDUBON SOCIETY.
It was quite a thrill, as there were upwards of 10,000 birds on the lake,
mostly a mix of ducks, coots, pelicans and some shorebirds.

The highlights at the watch post included 4 AMERICAN AVOCETs and 2 PEREGRINE
FALCONs.  At one point the falcons were socializing in an aerial ballet.
One bird was working the distant shoreline, stirring up the ducks and
shorebirds, and we watched it take a duck, then struggle in flight to get
its prey to dry land.  The duck was still alive and struggling up until the
hawk landed.

There were some shorebirds here, and although a little distant we saw both
yellowlegs and dowitchers (surely LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERs).  We heard a
report of Hudsonian Godwit, seen by volunteers from the "pumphouse road"
overlook, and filed that away for later.

From the levee we headed to the refuge HQ and had a pleasant lunch on the
deck, visiting with the staff and enjoying the turtle display, courtesy of
the Illinois Natural History Survey.  There were softshells, eastern and
western box turtles and others, plus a tub of precious baby red-eareds and
snapping turtles.  Hundreds of swallows hunted over the tree line to the
northeast.  A few sparrows moved in and out of the vegetation below the
deck, including WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWs.

After lunch we made a brief stop at the lookout point on the "pumphouse"
road.  There were a few PIED-BILLED GREBES in the water along the road, but
at the point the birds on the lake were too far away and the heat distortion
too much.  We did not see any godwits, but saw an immature BALD EAGLE and an
unidentified, high altitude hawk.  I found it while looking up at the
swallows and the bird glided through my field of view.  About all I can say
is that the bird was shaped like an accipiter (broad, rounded wings and
long, narrow tail); the underside of the wing and body was barred/striped
and orangey; the underside of the tail looked half white (near the body) and
half black.  It was all rather strange, but the hawk was very high and I
assume the light was playing bad tricks.

LINCOLN SHIELDS & RIVERLANDS

There weren't a lot of birds on the Mississippi River at Lincoln Shields,
but we did find 2 HERRING GULLs, perched alongside RING-BILLED GULLs on a
log in the river.

We stopped at Heron Pond to look for the recently-reported Ibis, but didn't
see it.  There wasn't much water in the pond, although the flood-control
gate was open and water was pouring in.  Also, today was the last
opportunity to walk the Heron Pond trail as it will be closed beginning
October 15 for the benefit of the birds.  We walked the trail down to the
pond, and SORAs responded to my humble rail imitation (as they did one week
ago).

There was a nice mix of ducks in Ellis Bay, including GADWALL, AMERICAN
WIGEON, NORTHERN SHOVELER, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, REDHEAD, RING-NECKED DUCK and
RUDDY DUCK, plus a large number of AMERICAN COOTs, roughly 1,000.  A few
BONAPARTE'S GULLs were flying near the tip of Ellis Island and there was a
nice little group of HORNED GREBEs, more AMERICAN WHITE PELICANs, and
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTs.

TODAY'S COMPLETE LIST (not including several thousand birds at Swan Lake!):

Canada Goose, 100
Gadwall, 300
American Wigeon, 5
Mallard, 150
Blue-winged Teal, 100
Northern Shoveler, 40
Northern Pintail, 5
Green-winged Teal, 40
Redhead, 20
Ring-necked Duck, 30
Hooded Merganser, 1
Ruddy Duck, 50
Pied-billed Grebe, 10
Horned Grebe, 15
American White Pelican, 130
Double-crested Cormorant, 100
Great Blue Heron, 20
Great Egret, 10
Turkey Vulture, 30
Osprey, 1
Bald Eagle, 2
Northern Harrier, 4
Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1
Cooper's Hawk, 2
Red-tailed Hawk, 15
Peregrine Falcon, 2
Sora, 4
American Coot, 2,000
Kildeer, 50
American Avocet, 4
Greater Yellowlegs, 30
Lesser Yellowlegs, 10
Spotted Sandpiper, 2
Dowitcher, sp., 50+
Wilson's Snipe, 5
Franklin's Gull, 60
Bonaparte's Gull, 10
Ring-billed Gull, 100
Herring Gull, 2
Rock Pigeon, 500
Mourning Dove, 20
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 1
Belted Kingfisher, 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker, 25
Downy Woodpecker, 4
Hairy Woodpecker, 2
Northern Flicker, 25
Pileated Woodpecker, 1
Eastern Phoebe, 1
Blue-headed Vireo, 1
Blue Jay, 75
American Crow, 15
Tree Swallow + Northern Rough-winged Swallow, 1000+
Barn Swallow, 10
Black-capped Chickadee, 15
Tufted Titmouse, 3
White-breasted Nuthatch, 4