Ivory-bill Florida searh

Edge <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:54:21 -0500

text/plain

Below is an article from Auburn about the Florida panhandle search.
This is from a link (others listed at the end) sent to Cornell team
members.

Caution, as Dr. Jackson says, is of utmost importance.  Evidence
appears to be accumulating that this species may persist.

What any one or group of us BELIEVES has no relevance to whether or
not the bird exists.  What we THINK may affect the search and the
preservation of habitat.  What we DO may settle the issue.

Debating or academic posturing as to how many ivory-bills exist (or
may perch on the head of a pin) is a waste of time and resources.
Putting prepared people in the field (or the swamp) is the most
likely method of resolving the issue.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

AUBURN SCIENTISTS PUBLISH EVIDENCE OF IVORY-BILLED WOODPECKERS IN
FLORIDA

AUBURN - A research team led by Auburn University professor Geoff
Hill, Ph.D., has compiled evidence that a population of Ivory-billed
Woodpeckers exists in a remote river basin in the panhandle of
Florida, as reported today in Avian Conservation & Ecology, an
electronic scientific journal (http://www.ace-eco.org).

Hill, an author, professor and ornithologist in AU’s College of
Science and Mathematics, led a kayaking expedition in May, 2005 with
two research assistants, Tyler Hicks and Brian Rolek, along a section
of the Choctawhatchee River in the Florida panhandle.

Soon after they started their float down the Choctawhatchee, Rolek
observed an ivorybill in flight and Hill heard a double knock, the
signature sound of the ivorybill. Numerous large cavities in trees
and places where thick, tightly adhering bark had been scaled from
dead trees added impetus to the sighting.

“It was just to be a weekend outing looking for potential habitat,”
said Hill, who at the time was writing a book about bird coloration.
“We really never dreamed we’d actually find an ivorybill.”

Hill and his assistants made subsequent visits to the area, located
near the town of Bruce, Fla., in an effort to better document the
birds. On the weekend after their initial discovery, Hicks, an expert
in bird identification, got a clear view of a female Ivory-billed
Woodpecker, which has distinct plumage, including a white trailing
edge on the upper wing, white stripes down the back and an all black
crest.

Hill then organized a follow-up search of the area and invited Dan
Mennill, Ph.D., an assistant professor at the University of Windsor
in Ontario, to join the search team. Mennill, who is an expert at
recording and analyzing animal sounds, devised a means to remotely
record sounds in the swamp and erected seven listening stations in
the area of the ivorybill sightings. “The regular, ongoing reports
from Dr. Hill and his research team for the past 16 months have
provided me an extraordinarily captivating and rewarding experience,”
said Stewart Schneller, dean of the AU College of Science and
Mathematics. “In turn, the excitement that exists with the
anticipation of their future investigations is beyond description.”

While the Auburn and Windsor scientists are confident in their
discovery that Ivory-billed Woodpeckers persist in the swamp forests
along the Choctawhatchee, they realize that the evidence amassed to
date is not conclusive proof.

Hill emphasized that “the only evidence that would constitute
irrefutable proof is a clear photograph or video of an Ivory-billed
Woodpecker, and such an image has to date eluded us.”

 From May 2005 to May 2006, however, the Auburn/Windsor research team
recorded 14 sightings of ivorybills, including two by Hill. From more
than 10,000 hours of audio recordings, Mennill and his research
assistant Kyle Swiston have identified more than 300 sounds that
match descriptions of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers.

They located 20 cavities with entrances within the range recorded for
Ivory-billed Woodpeckers, but larger than the entrances to the
cavities typically created by other birds in this area. And they
noted numerous dead trees on which thick, tightly adhering bark has
been scaled cleanly away, which fits the description of ivorybill
feeding marks.

“Among the promising evidence are recordings of ‘kent’ vocalizations
apparently being given by two birds in response to one another, and
double raps recorded in conjunction with vocalizations,” said Jerome
A. Jackson, Ph.D., a renowned ornithologist and professor of biology
at Florida Gulf Coast University. “The researchers have presented
this evidence with an appropriate note of caution, but let’s keep the
hope alive that Hill and his colleagues may have quietly found an
ivorybill Shangri-la along the Choctawhatchee,” said Jackson.

The scientists encourage interested parties to listen to the
recordings and view photographs taken during the expeditions at
www.auburn.edu/ivorybill. Based on their evidence, Hill and Mennill
will expand their search for Ivory-billed Woodpeckers in the
Choctawhatchee River basin in the winter and spring of 2007.

The Hill/Mennill team will present its findings at the North American
Ornithological Conference in Veracruz, Mexico on Oct. 4, 2006.

“The Ivory-billed Woodpecker, so impressive it was called the Lord
God Bird in some regions, was thought to be extinct for more than 50
years,” said Hill. “Now, there is new hope for scientists,
naturalists and birders that these birds persist in the panhandle of
Florida.”

Auburn University is a preeminent land-grant and comprehensive
research institution with more than 23,500 students and 6,500 faculty
and staff. Ranked among the top 50 public universities nationally,
Auburn offers more than 230 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral
degree programs.

###

sept06:AU-ivorybill