Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  September 2006

TSE September 2006

Re: 'contemplation of the horrid or sordid or disgusting

Vishvesh Obla <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Wed, 13 Sep 2006 06:01:32 -0700

text/plain

'The interest in the sordid&c is a reaction against
the unrealism of the Victorian era with its romantic
fancifulness. Or so I have seen it presented. In fact
that is a whole lot of what the artistic ferment in
the 1st two decades of the 20th C. is all about.
In fact it isn't (I think for Eliot) a disgust with
life, as a rediscovery of life in the disgusting.
Values were dead in respectable society. Having values
even of the worst kind is batter than not having
values at all. Eliot found these values in the
faubourg of Paris, and the French poets which explored
them...'

That is an illuminating note, Peter. Thank You. It
fits in perfectly with the historical scenario. 'a
rediscovery of life in the disgusting', I liked that
phrase. I think he got that cue from Elizabethan
dramatists as Middleton. Probably from Kyd (and even
Shakespheare) as well.

I will keep your note in mind while I ponder more over
this subject.

=== message truncated ===