August Big Day--New Record!

Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:35:59 -0700

text/plain

Sunday, August 27, 2006:

Starting at 4:15AM, Joe Eades and I set out to beat the August Big Day record for Missouri.  This is the same record Scott Schuette and Joe set just a couple weeks ago.  Joe and I were both hoping to get well above 120 and we both knew if the conditions were right it was very possible.  Below is a summary of how I helped Joe kick his own butt!

The day immediately started off very good as I walked out the door to meet up with Joe for our 4:15AM start time.  No sooner than walking out of my house I had an EASTERN SCREECH OWL calling its head off from my neighbor's yard.  This was one of 3
E. Screech Owls for the day!   However, it was a BARRED OWL calling that was the first official bird on our Big Day List.  Shortly after hearing the Barred Owl calling we heard our first and only WHIP-POOR-WILL calling from a ridge in Lincoln County.  A species we were really hoping for, but by no means were expecting.

As the sun began to rise, the birds seemed a bit slow to to wake up.  However, NORTHERN CARDINALS, EASTERN WOOD PEEWEE, 2-3 ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS calling, YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO'S calling from every treetop, and a few other landbirds were quickly checked off for the day.  A little after 7AM we got into our first real pocket of migrants for the day, including; 3 TENNESSE WARBLERS, 1 YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, 1 OVENBIRD that provided great views as it continued to perch out in the open, and our first CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER of the day.  However, the best migrant warbler of the day was observed at the original unit of BK Leach CA (Lincoln County) when Joe found a GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER gleaning around in the top of a dead tree.

Additional highlights at BK Leach included a single BELLS VIREO singing very softly from a tree line along Norton Woods Road, a single SNOWY EGRET and at least 3 LITTLE BLUE HERONS mixed in with the GREAT EGRETS, and 10 of the 14 BLUE GROSBEAKS we observed on Sunday.  A second trip through the King's Lake unit produced great views of the 4 SANDHILL CRANES feeding very close to the main road.  The Bittern Basin unit produced 2 AMERICAN COOTS, 2 PIED-BILLED GREBES and my first of fall NORTHERN HARRIER, a beautiful adult male.

As a result of rain, we decided to make a quick change in our route and detour to Clarence Cannon NWR (Pike County).  This proved to be a very beneficial stop for the day.  Here we found our only MISSISSIPPI KITE of the day perched in a dead snag, our only WILSON'S SNIPE of the day, 1 HAIRY WOODPECKER, 1 AMERICAN REDSTART, our second BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, our second NASHVILLE WARBLER, 2 NORTHERN PARULAS, 2 PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS and our only BLACK & WHITE WARBLER of the day.  The later bird I missed while trying to get pictures of a solid white downy woodpecker (a beautiful snow white bird!).

Winfield L&D (Lincoln County) produced most of the shorebirds we were hoping for, including great views of 2 juvenile WESTERN SANDPIPERS, 1 WILLET and 1 BAIRD'S SANDPIPER.  A quick scan of the river gave us our first BLACK TERNS of the day (including a flock of 25+ birds), and our only CASPIAN TERNS of the day.

A quick stop by the Keeteman Road sod farms produced 5 BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS and a single AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER, but no Upland Sandpipers for us.  By this time it was getting late and we knew we needed to get moving to Busch CA to have any real chance at the Swallow-tailed Kite.

We arrived at the "magic gate" late in the afternoon and began to search.  Joe noticed a bird soaring with bowed wings, it was not the Kite we had hoped for, but certainly a great bird for the day, an OSPREY mixed in with Turkey Vultures.  After about a 1/2 hour we decided to cut our losses and move on; "Swallow-tailed Kiteless".  At the Weldon Springs Lost Valley Trail a pleasant surprise was a female ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK working its way around in a brush-pile.

Arriving at Riverlands M.B.S. (St. Charles County) with diminishing light we had to move fast to get a few more birds.  A single SPOTTED SANDPIPER flew across Teal Pond (the 14th shorebird species of the day), an immature HERRING GULL was sitting out in the gull roost in Ellis Bay and the BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS were just beginning to set up for the night; each birds we still needed.   While scanning the Lincoln Shields side for the expected American White Pelicans Joe noticed large shorebirds in flight, but then quickly lost them.  However, he did not lose them for long, after re-finding them while they were still in flight, we watched 5 WILLETS fly past us and down river, always a good bird!!  But, even with nothing but moon light now we were still not done with Riverlands just yet, we still needed American White Pelicans.  So, we decided to drive back along Riverlands Way and scan Ellis Bay to see if they did not return to "their log" to rest for the night.  However,
 before we even got to the log there they were, two AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS swimming out not even 20 yards from Riverlands Way!

The night ended with grand total of 134 species that included 13 warbler species and 14 shorebird species, a very good day!  Of course with every Big Day their are a few misses, here they are;  No rails or bitterns, no Brown-headed Cowbird, no Belted Kingfisher, no Lesser Yellowlegs and we never saw that darn Swallow-tailed Kite!

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO