May 8 Big Day Report (long)

Kristi Mayo <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 May 2006 08:37:49 -0500

text/plain

On Monday, May 8, Doug Willis and I teamed up for a Missouri Big Day
attempt on the western side of the state. The following is a
moderately long report ... for those not interested in aesthetics, we
were able to nail down 174 species, including goodies such as a
Merlin in Holt Co., a Swainson's Hawk northeast of Taberville Prairie
CA, a Veery migrating over Taberville, and, of course, the White Ibis
at Bob Brown CA. Here's the full report:

We approached this May Big Day attempt as a learning experience: It
was Doug’s first Big Day ever, and my first serious attempt on the
west side of the state. We were well aware that the route we chose
(moving south to north, beginning around Four Rivers CA and ending
around Squaw Creek NWR) has been well tested over time. But as we
drove toward our starting point Sunday night, actually running that
route and getting the numbers we hoped for still felt like a
considerable challenge.

The forecast had called for cloudy skies with a chance of
thunderstorms after 1 a.m. Looking up, we noticed that the skies were
mostly clear with a 3/4-full moon overhead—but a bank of clouds
loomed ominously to the south. Knowing those clouds would be moving
our way, we decided to run our planned nighttime route backwards by
starting at Taberville Prairie at Midnight. Hopefully we’d catch the
prairie birds singing before the light of the moon was obscured by
the clouds.

Immediately upon reaching the west side of Taberville, we were
greeted by a chorus of Henslow’s Sparrows. The call of a Barred Owl
floated up from one side of the hill, and a Northern Mockingbird
serenaded us from the other side. A Yellow-breasted Chat chatted
continuously in the dark. Our other hoped-for birds were, however,
quite silent. We tore around to the opposite side of the prairie,
watching the moon pace moodily in and out of the clouds. Dickcissels,
Horned Larks, and a single Grasshopper Sparrow sang under the sound
of the persistent Henslow’s Sparrows. Suddenly the air filled with
the vocalizations from a flock of Swainson’s Thrushes passing
overhead, and among them the distinct flight call of a Veery. At the
same time, a pack of coyotes suddenly started singing all around us,
and in this flurry of activity Doug distinctly heard the boom from a
prairie chicken. We were in business…and it was time to move on.

We spent the next few hours wandering through Schell-Osage and Four
Rivers conservation areas listening for rails, bitterns, night
herons, and nightjars. A couple Whip-poor-wills sang from the ridges
around Schell-Osage. A raucous flock of Black-crowned Night-Herons
frolicked behind the Four Rivers headquarters. But at the wetlands—
which had gone from total drought to flood conditions in the two
weeks since I last scouted there—we were met with nothing but the
unending clatter of frogs.

By 0400 we were headed southeast for the woods at the edge of the
Ozarks where we would greet the sunrise. We stopped along the way to
listen for our Chuck, but did not hear one until we reached our
sunrise spot. As the sky lightened—now fully gray with clouds—we
hiked into the woods and went to work on the warblers. Most of the
residents—including Worm-eating Warbler and Hooded Warbler—were on
territory. Scarlet Tanager proved to be an easy tick, with several
individuals seen and heard. The other migrants were a little tougher:
A silent Blackburnian Warbler crawled through the treetops, and a
Chestnut-sided Warbler sang nearby.

After a couple hours, we checked the clock with horror and pushed,
pulled, dragged ourselves out of the woods. A Golden-winged Warbler
bee-buzz-buzzed near the car, and a Blue-winged Warbler sighed a
little way down the road. Our stake-out Bewick’s Wren kept his
appointment and hopped up in full view and full song right on cue. We
started the trip back north and west, but were slowed by the song of
a Mourning Warbler, among other essential resident species. Our only
Blue Grosbeaks for the day caught our attention around 0900—just as
it began to rain. And it continued to rain. Steadily.

This was not good. Our stake-out Yellow-throated Warbler was silent
and invisible among the rain-splattered leaves. The Fish Crows that
were supposed to be there had apparently melted in the rain. And
there was no hope of a Mississippi Kite riding a morning thermal in
this weather. We trudged back to Schell-Osage with a rather
waterlogged attitude. The woods at Schell were filled with the song
of our first Eastern Towhees for the day, but nothing else seemed to
be moving. The drive down a dead-end road almost seemed wasted until
a Broad-winged Hawk darted across the road and into the cover. This
proved our only Broad-winged for the day.

We headed for the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron spot at Schell-Osage and
spent some time peering through the rain at a distant growth on a
tree that had me thoroughly convinced it was a sleeping night-heron.
As we were about to give up and turn around, we spotted several
Little Blue Herons (the only ones for the day) feeding in a slough
with Great Egrets. We were pleased at this turn of events, but were
even more pleased when two birds burst onto the scene: a Red-
shouldered Hawk aggressively pursuing an adult Yellow-crowned Night-
Heron.

Back at the main road at Schell, we paused and noticed the sky seemed
to be clearing. At the same time, a Cooper’s Hawk chased a blackbird
across the field in front of us. Our spirits began to lift but a look
at the time—1000—told us we were sorely behind schedule. At this
point, we chose to improvise our route and go toward Truman Lake via
Hwy B, north of Taberville Prairie, to try several access points on
the big lake for a late loon, a Prairie Warbler, or maybe even a
Painted Bunting. It was probably not the best move from a time-
management perspective, but it proved to be a fortuitous path to
follow because Hwy B was very good to us. In short order, we found an
Olive-sided Flycatcher perched on a utility line, a Swainson’s Hawk
perched in a field, and a Western Meadowlark sang from a fence. Our
last attempt at a Fish Crow only yielded a silent crow that promptly
swooped down over the water and caught a fish… No, we did not count
that one. But a Clay-colored Sparrow that hopped up into view seconds
later made that detour worth our time. And yet another dead-end road
produced our only Magnolia Warbler for the day.

At Noon we knew two things to be true: 1) We were running out of time
and would need to cut some important stops from our itinerary; and 2)
we didn’t have enough birds. Our list hovered right around 120, and
it was difficult to imagine where the rest were going to come from if
we were to meet our goal of 170 or more.

Aside from a brief and unsuccessful detour for a staked-out Eurasian
Collared-Dove near Platte City, we careened straight north from
Clinton until we reached Bob Brown CA at about 1530. On the Saturday
prior to our Big Day, Kyle Driggers alerted me to the fact that the
main distribution channel at the refuge had been drained of water—and
had filled up with shorebirds. This and the other phenomenal habitat
at the conservation area proved to be a major windfall for our day.
After picking up some essentials on the boardwalk—including our first
Eastern Phoebe and Downy Woodpecker for the day, plus a look at a
Gray-cheeked Thrush and a pair of Blackpoll Warblers—we went to work
on the marsh. While walking a levee hoping to flush a Virginia Rail,
a flock of birds rose up in the distance. I picked out our first
Gadwall and Lesser Yellowlegs for the day, and was trying to find
more in the flock when Doug said urgently, “Kristi, look!” I lowered
my binoculars and my eyes immediately fell on a ridiculous white bird
flying along behind the ducks and shorebirds: an adult White Ibis,
listed as casual in northern Missouri and a state bird for me. This
jumpstarted our ambitions and we were off: Sora and a Common Moorhen
vocalized over the sound of the car as we bombed over to the
distribution channel where we picked up 16 typical shorebirds species
in short order. Sedge and Marsh Wrens, Great-tailed Grackles, and
Yellow-headed Blackbirds chattered while we mopped up the last bits
of shorebird goodness, plus a fly-over American Pipit.

We now had about an hour and a half of daylight left. We were still
hurting badly for waterfowl, and the promise of Squaw Creek NWR only
15 minutes away. That was not nearly enough time to do the refuge
justice—it’s an insult, really—but it was all we had to work with. We
tried to fill a major hole in our list—Purple Martin—but came up
short each time with gangs of House Sparrows holding all the martin
houses in the area hostage. In fact, it was for a potential martin
that we turned around half way to Squaw Creek, and that is when we
spotted a completely unexpected taiga-race Merlin soaring over the
loess bluffs. It was a reasonable compromise.

At Squaw Creek, we managed to add some of the waterfowl that we
needed: Snow Geese were still grazing on the levees, plus a single
Green-winged Teal and one Northern Pintail were welcome additions.
Ring-necked Duck was the only diver left that we could find. In the
sweet light of the setting sun, we pulled out one dark ibis from Snow
Goose Pool, and several Caspian Terns croaked while patrolling the
marsh. In the north woods, we just knew we could nail down the
American Redstart that we were still missing, and indeed we were
successful. Some Snowy Egrets had put themselves to bed with a flock
of Great Egrets. Our last stop was at the cattails where a Least
Bittern was still faithfully vocalizing from the same spot where I
heard him a week before.

Back at the Squaw Creek headquarters, we soaked in the warmth of a
beautiful evening at watched the sky fade to black over the marsh.
Between snippets of conversation and laments about missed species
(how do you miss Purple Martin and Hairy Woodpecker? and where were
all the Yellow-billed Cuckoos and Bell’s Vireos?), Doug tallied up
the list and counted it silently. When he finished, he looked
dumbfounded. “What did we do?” I asked. “173,” he replied. We were
both shocked. After a fairly routine morning and the inconvenient
rainout during the important mid-morning hours, we had both privately
assumed that we would end up somewhere around 150. But 173… That was
definitely a number we could live with!

We celebrated for a while in the gloaming as the Chipping Sparrows
and Gray Catbirds sang themselves to sleep. Finally, we decided to
give Bob Brown one more shot before heading home toward Kansas City.
Back at the marsh at 2100, two Virginia Rails exuberantly vocalized
nearby, which brought our total to 174. Our day officially ended back
in Liberty at 2352 after driving 512 miles. Our May 2007 Big Day
attempt unofficially began on the way home as we already started
tweaking our route and discussing what we did right and what we did
wrong.

Finally back at home, a phantom American Robin was singing in every
room of my house and when I closed my eyes for the first time in 43
hours, chorus frogs lulled me into a dreamless sleep.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)