]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  May 2006, Week 1

MOBIRDS-L May 2006, Week 1

Re: ASM weekend <Somewhat Long//NO Sightings "of birds...">

Patrick Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

Patrick Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 May 2006 19:49:19 -0500

text/plain

2006 ASM Spring Meeting: A Huge Success by ALL Standards...

Jim Zellmer asked me over the weekend why I had ever joined the Audubon
Society of Missouri (ASM). My response was because, "As a young birder out
in the field, I kept running into people who knew where all the "good" birds
were and were willing to either share the information or more often than
not, TAKE ME to the bird(s)." These individuals were ALL members of ASM.
Additionally, ASM members made a novice birder realize what potential there
is in Missouri to discover for oneself the VAST pantheon of species that are
present at one time or another.

Over the years, I have shared many trips to distant locations (Martha's
Vineyard, Rio Grande Valley, Lower half of Florida, San Diego CA, Bismarck /
Minot North Dakota, Elkhart KS, Minnesota, Quivira, and many, many others
with ASM members. ALL these experiences cemented personal relationships that
continue today and continue to grow in richness, fondness, and anticipation
of the NEXT "event!".

I attended the Spring Meeting in 2001 in St. Louis and the 2006 Meeting was
just as "good". Some VERY big thank you's are due to many friends and
acquaintances. I hesitate to enumerate for fear of forgetting someone, but
here goes anyway: Sue Gustafson, planning and planning and planning,
changing, revising, going with the flow, being receptive to suggestions; all
these contributed to making this spring meeting the success it was.

David Rabenau: While David and I have never spent any great amount of time
visiting with one another, I know if we did the conversation would
eventually turn to the fact that having a spouse that is supportive of the
other's needs makes for a HUGE HUGE HUGE plus. David, you and my wife
Rhonda, are very special people. To put up with what most folks call lunacy
with regard to birds and birding, as you, David, and as my wife, Rhonda, has
and continues to do, is simply an indication of the love and understanding
that individuals share. To both of you, David, and Rhonda, THANK YOU.

John Solodar: The field trip options and the flexibility built into the
participation and "switching of trips" were incredible. Calling on extra
help (extra leaders) at a short notice to assist with certain trips that
were "overloaded" and actually GETTING the help goes only to show the
respect the birders of the St. Louis area and the state of Missouri have for
your skills as both a birder and an organizer. I so enjoyed visiting with
you and your wife in the field on numerous topics from NOT being able to
hear this or that <g> or about what we can do to  "correct" that, or about
where this species has been seen and where it hasn't. Thank you for your
dedication to the SLAS and ASM and to birders who are likely not members of
either...

David Rogles: WOW... What a booty of donations for the "Silent Auction"... I
wanted to buy five or six items... The time it takes to solicit items, set
up, and display items is much greater than many will ever know. Instead of
birding, I know you spent dozens of hours fulfilling the responsibilities of
the Auction Coordinator. It was a HUGE success! Thank you!!

To those who submitted items for the auctions: Incredible, awesome,
tearfully overwhelming. The talents of the members of SLAS and ASM run a
range so deep that it astounds me when I think about it. One example in
particular; Adam Nisbett. He's "just studying to be a mechanical engineer,"
but has an artistic talent that has earned him NATIONAL recognition. He is
gracious, modest, and generous; all are qualities of SLAS and ASM members.
Thank you Adam!!

Mike Thelen: Graciously serving both Bill Rowe and Tim Barksdale with
setting up for each of their presentations (different evenings). Your
willingness to do what was necessary made both presentations seem to come
off without incident or effort. Thank you!!

To those that donated funds to support the events of the meeting (you remain
anonymous)... Our meeting was "high class" due to your financial support. A
BIG thank you!!

Bill Rowe: Your service to the society as a member of the MBRC and as a
frequent presenter of workshops for ASM is particularly appreciated. Thank
you Bill Eddleman for the PowerPoint presentation for the Warbler ID
Workshop and thank you Bill Rowe for presenting it with humor and interest.
I can't wait for the next workshop (regardless of the family of birds to be
presented...)!

Tim Barksdale: Your passion for the job you do is MORE apparent than ever.
It runs deep in your soul and governs MUCH of what you do and say and that
is a GREAT thing. I appreciated your enthusiasm and the depth of your
knowledge. Your presentation was well-organized and executed with the same
passion by which you live each day of your life. You are in an enviable
position (other than when you are hauling a 90+ lbs. of equipment through
calf-thigh deep SWAMP MUD!!!!? Thank you Tim...

As the list above is not all-inclusive, let me say "thank you" to everyone
else!! I enjoyed visiting with all of you.

Life birds were had by MANY. Life friendships where had by MOST.

Long live ASM...

Long live the "Lord God Bird"...

Patrick
Patrick Harrison