]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  April 2006

TSE April 2006

Re: 'Tyger' and 'Vrka' (Was: 'Mind forged menacles' (sic) and spelling)

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:26:25 -0400

text/plain

Gunnar,

If we are going to throw around that tiresome and stupid phrase
"political correctness," please take note that the introduction of "man"
as generic and its sustained use was and is "political correctness" of
the most egregious kind.  It defined women as lesser, and that was a
deliberate choice:  the texts are there that show it.  "Politically
correct" is a phrase thrown at liberals by politically correct
conservatives who assume the norm of their own political position.
Militant masculinism is not, unfortunately, just tiresome; it ruled the
world and women for most of history.

What is wrong with "negro" is that it was an imposed term that
historically took on meanings of ignorance and degradation.  It's root
means "black" in a world where black and white defined good and evil,
just as "denigrate" means to make black. And what is wrong with "The
Family of Man" is that in modern English "man" means the adult male.  I
note again that no one is even addressing any of these linguistic facts
when they pronounce their prejudices about loving words.

For god's sake, if you are going to take up this hateful political
correctness yourself, at least check out the English language first.
Shame on you.  You have never sided with this version of political
correctness passed down under a mask of simple truth before, and it is
you who are being politically correct.  ( frequent repetition intended)
Nancy

am 09.04.2006 6:42 Uhr schrieb Carrol Cox unter [log in to unmask]:

> Ken Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> --On Saturday, April 08, 2006 2:36 PM -0500 Carrol Cox
>> wrote:
>>
>>> No you may not because it is no longer the generic term. In (morally
and
>>> politically decent) English of the present "man" refers only to the
male
>>> gender. Its use as a generic term is anachronistic and vulgar.
>>
>> Just observing actual usage, this seems not to be true, though there
is
>> certainly a movement afoot to make it so, as your finger wagging
>> exemplifies. However, I think such usages are more deeply rooted and
>> resonant than political criticisms such as yours credit them for,
which is
>> why they continue, even among decent and moral people.
>
> Movement afoot. Have you been sleeping for 40 years. "Man" as generic
is
> simply vulgar and illiterate.
>
> Carrol
>>
>> Ken A.

Dear Carrol,

for once I feel obliged to take Ken's side. Militant feminism, as your
opinion is based on, is, as any militant movement, simply a boring
aberration and leads to cumbersome terms. What was wrong, e.g., with
"The
Family of Man", the title of Edward Steichen famous photo exhibit?

Same thing with race: What's wrong with negro? Is Afro-American any
better?

How I detest this whole hypocritical political correctness bullshit, an
American wave spreading all over the world, from a country presently
behaving politically far from correct. It will not make things any
better,
it just obfuscates.

And, yes, you may call me vulgar and illiterate.

Gunnar