Re: The Fisher King

Will Gray <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:30:16 -0700

text/plain

Thanks, CR.
This is the most accessible of Terry Gilliam's films,
and is rather moving.
I'm not sure that I'd feel confident saying it's based
on THE WASTE LAND, though there are certainly
connections. Rather it seemed to me an exploration of
worldview and belief.

Whether Jack is the Fisher King or the knight is hard
to discern, since both men are wounded and questers. I
really enjoyed the typically Gilliam-esque way in
which the legend could be either authentic or
imaginative. For Gilliam, imaginative reality is
usually more authentic: this is his representation of
faith in all of his films.
I had noticed the bars, but not quite so many in the
film. That was an interesting list.
"Thinking of the key, each confirms a prison..."

Cheers,
Will

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/ARBKONQ8FWSCO/002-7149130-5551262?_encoding=UTF8