more interesting woodpecker stuff

Chris Hobbs <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:16:11 -0600

text/plain

If you're not interested in more Ivory-billed discussion, delete now!Birders

  I have been away and just caught up with the woodpecker thread. Maybe this
is not too helpful as it does not have anything to do directly with the
identification of IB Woodpecker. It is also long, tangential to the
discussion and offers no conclusion to this, but a different perspective on
finding Campephilus woodpeckers. In any case, of the species Campephilus we
have the Ivory-bill and Imperial which are clearly closely related, the
tropical Campephilus, and the Magellanic Woodpecker. The latter is a bird
that in many ways is a good model for understanding the behavior of the
Ivory-billed. I don't think it is a stretch to think that the sister species
to Ivory-billed/Imperial is likely to be the Magellanic, rather than the
tropical species. The three share some plumage and morphological features
(white on tertials, no red on crest of females, black and unbarred body
plumage, large size, tendency for females to have longer crests etc.) From a
habitat standpoint the Magellanic Woodpecker is found in temperate forests,
not tropical ones, and it needs very old or old growth forests, it does not
take young forests, at least not commonly. Well, Magellanic Woodpeckers are
birds I know pretty well from my time birding in Chile, I probably have seen
over 50 but under 100 at this point. Just to "put it out there" here is a
summary of my experience with the Magellanic, and some comments on looking
for the Ivory-billed.
	Magellanic Woodpeckers are not rare, but neither are they common.
You can spend days in their preferred habitat and not see one, or hear one,
but in many bird tours to Chile I have yet to miss this species on a trip
(knock on wood). I do often sweat it looking for this species, it certainly
can be a difficult bird to see given that it is a showy and large
woodpecker. In size Magellanic is smaller than an Ivory-billed, and not as
showy in plumage. The habitat I find it in is old growth Nothofagus
(southern beech) forest, or Araucaria (monkey puzzle) forest. The structure
of these forests if of huge, tall old trees, draped in moss and lichen on
the slopes of the Andes. You are generally restricted to searching areas
near roads or park trails, so a really different situation than I imagine
from Arkansas. But the similarities are that these forests are temperate, in
early spring (when I am there) the forests are actually rather quiet due to
the low diversity of avifauna specifically found there and they are away
from highways or other noisy distractions. Unlike the Arkansas forests, much
of the Nothofagus retain leaves year-round, as does the Araucaria, so you
have more complex viewing conditions than in Arkansas. Most often I find
Magellanic Woodpeckers by chance, I just happen to catch a glimpse and see
the bird, or they happen to fly over and we track down where they landed.
Seldom do I actually hear the birds, either the vocalizations or the double
rap. On one occasion in late October at one site I could hear many double
raps going off early in the morning, but this stands out as unusual as
usually you don't hear them at all. They will often call, or give double
raps in response to tape playback. Often once found the woodpeckers will
stay on a tree or set of trees for some time, foraging, flaking bark and
being rather quiet in their tapping as opposed to birds like Pileateds which
can be pretty noisy while they forage. On many occasions, once the birds are
done at a tree they move off by flying long distances to other feeding
areas. When I am looking for them, I often use tape playback using both
calls and double raps, and this works. However, it does not work in the way
that it does with highly responsive species like flycatchers or various
other territorial passerines which come directly to the sound. The
Magellanics seldom come right in. Instead, they often fly over, higher than
canopy level, and just do a fly by. Eventually the fly overs end and the
bird may come in within a few hundred yards and will be alert, but may start
feeding quietly while keeping an eye on you. After a while of hearing no
tape playback the birds often get their confidence up and may do a double
rap or call. So playback does not get the birds to come right in, but it
works very well if you know what to be looking for (high fly overs, or
vocalizations many minutes post playback). When you find a Magellanic
feeding, or bring one in using playback this quiet and seemingly reclusive
bird turns out to be rather tame (as most forest woodpeckers tend to be!) If
the birds are feeding low down, you can approach to distances a flicker
would never allow. I have not read the historical accounts of Ivory-billed
Woodpecker, but my sense was that they were also pretty tame. I don't buy
the hypothesis that collection pressure has selected for extreme waryness,
mainly since hunting pressure has been low for a good amount of time now,
and if this idea was generally true most ducks would be amazingly wary given
intense hunting pressure they are under, but they are not. Magellanic
Woodpeckers are often found as pairs, but in spring you also sometimes find
them in trios. Invariably the third bird appears to be a young male, I have
the hypothesis that this male is a nest helper and I don't know if this is
something that has been researched. Of course, single birds also are found.
Pairs tend to react more strongly to playback and have a greater tendency to
double rap in response to playback than single birds.
	To put this all into perspective, Magellanics are quiet, birds found
in low densities in tall temperate forest. They stay in foraging areas for
periods of time, then do long flights to new foraging areas. Foraging is
quiet, tapping is more akin to what you hear from three-toed woodpeckers
than from Pileated. They are tough to find, but once detected these
woodpeckers tend to be pretty tame and easy to see. I try to imagine what it
would be like to find a pair or two of Magellanics in a large forest if that
was all there was (a hypothetical situation similar to the Arkansas case). I
think that the quiet nature would generally make them very difficult to
find, but on the other hand the tendency to fly over the canopy, not through
the canopy, to get to new foraging areas and the large home ranges would
actually make them much easier to find that you would think. Most times I
see Magellanics flying over, and then follow them to the foraging area. Once
found though, they are not shy, but are tame. The fact that when foraging
they sit for long periods of time pecking and flaking bark adds to the
difficulty of finding them as they are not hyper-kinetic creatures, but on
the other hand once found you get good looks. Playback works on Magellanic
Woodpeckers, and from my experience leading birding tours throughout the
Americas works pretty much on all woodpeckers. If there are Ivory-bills in
Arkansas, they will come in to playback eventually!
	Using Magellanics as a model for temperate Campephilus behavior, I
am sure that a single bird or a pair or two in a large forest would be
found. I realize that this model may be entirely flawed, but it's the best I
can do to assess the Arkansas situation. There is very little probability
that a hypothetical single or pair of Magellanics could evade 2 years of
searching, particularly by experienced birders as the Ivory-billed as done.
I assume that the searchers are using playback, if Ivory-billed is in
Arkansas it will eventually come in to playback - this is just what
woodpeckers do. If they are not using playback, particularly when the leads
were hot early on in this, I would wonder why. I want to be a believer, but
my familiarity with other Neotropical Campephilus, and my general experience
making a living finding birds for people leads me to believe that all birds
are findable given enough time. Two years is a long time. I realize that
there have been various sight records, potential recordings and the infamous
video, but if a single Magellanic was out there in a large forest I am sure
that after two years someone would have a good photo of it.
	I do think that given the potential for having Ivory-billed in
Arkansas, the money used to buy up those forests was wisely spent. I also
think that Cornell and the Nature Conservancy have worked the media well in
this case and have gotten a lot of people who have never thought much about
birds interested in the story, and perhaps even a bit more interested in
understanding issues such as habitat loss and extinction. Much of the money
raised for this issue probably would never have gone to conservation had it
not been for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker's drawing power. I don't think that
the Ivory-billed got a chunk of the pie it didn't deserve; my guess is that
it helped to increase the size of the pie and that is good. This issue will
likely always remain grey, and will never be resolved. The available
evidence is not conclusive for the existence of the Ivory-billed, but
neither can anybody prove that it wasn't there two years ago. I do think
that given the searching effort thus far, the bird is no longer there if it
ever was there to begin with. Like I said, all birds are findable if you
look hard enough. The Ivory-billed search may be the most concentrated
effort to find a bird ever, and it has not come up with conclusive evidence.

Al

Alvaro Jaramillo
chucao AT coastside.net
Half Moon Bay, CA