SLAS Annual Awards Dinner March 31st

John Berger <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:56:39 -0600

text/plain

 Attached is an announcement and registration form for the above dinner.  We are thrilled to have Carl Safina as our program speaker.  The dinner is open to the public at the fantasticcly reasonable price of $25 per person.  However, space is limited, so you are advised to reserve you  tickets early.

Hope to see you there.

Torrey Berger
Pres. SLAS

St. Louis Audubon SocietyAnnual Awards DinnerFriday, March 31stDr. Carl Safina, Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival We are very pleased to announce our 2006 Annual Awards Dinner will again be hosted by Pat & Jack Lueders at the Cheshire Inn's Palladium Room at 6300 Clayton. Awards will be presented for Conservationist of the Year, Legislator of the Year and the Robert J. Terry Lifetime Achievement. A silent auction will be held, with proceeds directly benefiting the Society's conservation and education work around the region.We are deeply honored to have Dr. Carl Safina as our keynote speaker. A prominent ecologist and author, Dr. Safina is a former vice president of the National Audubon Society and co-founder and current president of the Blue Ocean Institute. He has authored two award-winning books: Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival (winner of the 2003 John Burroughs Medal for natural history writing) and Song for the Blue Ocean: Encounters Along the World's Coasts and Beneath the Seas (winner of the Lannan Literary Award for Nonfiction). His love of nature began while his family raised canaries and pigeons as a child, matured while studying hawks and seabirds with the National Audubon Society and has led to a recognition that all life on the planet is affected by the oceans. He founded the Living Oceans Program at National Audubon, but ultimately felt the need for a unique, independent effort to help save the oceans. The Blue Ocean Institute, which he co-founded in 2003, is designed to inspire, rather than demand, conservation of the oceans through a non-traditional combination of science, art and literature.Dr. Safina's talk will be based on his book, Eye of the Albatross, for which he spent months in the distant oceans of the world, chronicling the travels of one particular albatross named Amelia, whose stupendous travels were tracked via satellite as she ranged thousands of miles to find food for her patiently famished chick. These immense creatures we call "albatross" are the greatest long-distance wanderers on Earth.  Big birds in big oceans, albatrosses lead big, sprawling lives across space and time, traveling to the limits of seemingly limitless seas.  They accomplish these distances by wielding the wondrous body architecture of creatures built to glide indefinitely.            In the last few years albatrosses have been tracked by Earth-orbiting satellites, and their true travels outdistance all previous conjecture. During their whole lifespan they expend 95 percent of their existence at sea, flying most of that time.  Doing so, they cover distances equivalent to flying around Earth at the equator three times every year.  A 50-year-old albatross has flown, at minimum, 3.7 million miles. Because they range so far and live so long, albatrosses intersect and contend with almost every effect that people exert upon the sea.  Everything people are doing to oceans, albatrosses feel. Dr. Safina will share what their survival teaches us about persistence, hope, and how the oceans are changing.We hope you will share our excitement about spending an evening with Dr. Safina, learning about his personal journey and how each of us has a role in preserving our Blue Oceans. 5:30 p.m.*Business Meeting6:00 p.m.*Cash Bar Opens, Silent Auction Starts7:00 p.m.*Dinner Service The business meeting is open to all, but only current SLAS members will be allowed to vote in the election of the Board of Directors.  Feel free to skip the business portion and arrive during the social hour that starts at 6 p.m.The cost is just $25 per person.  Reservations are required*please use the form below.Space is limited, so please register early to be sure you can enjoy this wonderful evening! The Cheshire Inn is near the intersection of Clayton and Skinker, just across Clayton Avenue and south of the giant Amoco station.  To avoid traffic, suggest you approach from the west on Clayton.  Parking in front of the restaurant is limited, we suggest you use the garage behind the hotel, accessed by a ramp to the left of the hotel's entrance.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Annual Banquet Registration Form Please mail this form or a copy with payment to:Mitch Leachman, 2728 Lakeport Drive, Maryland Heights, MO  63043Make checks payable to St. Louis Audubon Society. ____________________________________              $25.00 x ______ = ___________Name(s)                                                                       Fee       No.     Total Enclosed Entrée Choices, Please Select One Per Person London Broil __________  Chicken Marsala _________  Vegetarian  __________
****************
This message, including attachments, is from the law firm of Lewis, Rice
& Fingersh, L.C. This message contains information that may be
confidential and protected by the attorney-client or attorney work
product privileges. If you are not the intended recipient, promptly
return e-mail or call us at 314-444-7600. You may not forward, print,
copy, distribute, or use the information in this message if you are not
the intended recipient.****************Internal Revenue Service regulations provide that, for the purpose of
avoiding certain penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, taxpayers
may rely only on formal opinions of counsel which meet specific
requirements set forth in such regulations. Any tax advice that may be
contained in this writing does not constitute a formal opinion that
meets the requirements of the regulations. Accordingly, the Internal
Revenue Service requires that we advise you that (1) any tax advice
contained in this communication was not intended or written to be used,
and may not be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties that the IRS
might attempt to impose on a taxpayer, (2) no one, without express prior
written permission, may use any part of this communication in promoting,
marketing or recommending an arrangement relating to any Federal tax
matter to any person or entity, (3) there is no limitation by this Firm
on the disclosure of the tax treatment or tax structure of the
transaction(s) or matter(s) discussed herein by the intended recipient
of this communication.******************