On Splitting the Listserve (long)

Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:21:09 -0500

text/plain

Hi. My name is Edge and I am a lister/chaser.

In recent years I have been very, very fortunate. I have birded
Missouri extensively and have met and birded with most Missouri
birders. I have traveled beyond my home state frequently, birding from
Maine to Florida to Texas and California.

I'm not boasting; just setting the stage for what I'm about to say.

Before traveling to a state to bird, I read that state's birding
listserve(s), either by subscribing or by daily review of Siler's
website, often for weeks before I go.

It's a great learning process. I learn about birding areas, bird
occurrence, travel information, and who's who in the birding community
there so I can contact them for help or suggestions.

The general tone of the rapport among those birders, the birding style
there and other subtle differences from state to state become apparent
over a couple of weeks.

It should not be surprising to Mobirders that our listserve is read by
out-of-staters for bird information, to help with travel plans, or just
for entertainment. And are we entertaining!

I wish I had kept a record of the number of people who, on learning I am
from Missouri, said they read Mobirds. And, the next comment is usually
some variation of, "Your listserve is one of the best; it's full of
information and you people have fun."

So, what makes it "full of information and fun?" The diversity. We are
not severely limited to speaking only of the occurrence/finding of birds
in Missouri. We are not limited to discussions that are of interest to
or understandable only by semi-professional birders or chasers.

When the ivory bill find story was still breaking we were not admonished
to drop the thread immediately because it was not a Missouri bird.
Believe it or not, more than one listserve was informed that the ivory
bill discussion was irrelevant to that state and they must stop posting
about it or be dropped from the listserve!

At least one person has called for a tighter rein from the list owner.
The basic factor in why Mobirds is one of the nation's best bird
oriented listserves is that the list owner has governed with an even,
tolerant hand, and that we have responded by showing our appreciation of
that tolerance by policing ourselves.

Our transgressions of the basic rules have been few. Our most frequent
line of departure is political commentary--understandable in that it is
such a pervasive topic and governmental policy and practice affect birds
greatly.

On several occasions the identification/misidentification of a bird has
generated heated debate. Many feathers have been ruffled substantially
in that manner. Most tend to settle down, sometimes a gentle pull on
those reins has been required. Usually we all learn from the
particulars of the discussion, and our birding skills are often honed in
the process.

We certainly do not keep the bird topics limited to current occurrence
of Missouri birds--oh, how impoverished we would be if we were so
limited! It seems foolish to me to close discussion (and our intellect)
to bird-related information generated beyond our borders or by
non-listers.

Yes, there are often threads that do not strike everyone's interest.
Most of us do not monitor bluebird boxes. Few have a backyard water
feature. Most cannot go to the bootheel to seek the immature white
ibises or to Weston Bend for an anhinga. Many have no opportunity to
see for themselves what is being seen in Illinois or Kansas or Iowa. It
is probable that very few (if any) of us will ever see that ivory bill.
Most of us already know the differences between a Carolina and a
Black-capped Chickadee and where we are most likely to encounter one or
the other. Trip reports from Arizona or south Texas or Wyoming or the
Maryland eastern shore may seem like science fiction to a large
segment. Some don't give a hoot when the last martin heads south.
Nearly all of us know about conjunctivitis in house finches.

Daily I lightly scan some Mobirds message or even opt to delete before
reading some because the subject is not of interest to me or, more
frequently, because I can't follow up on the information. Often when I
do read something I thought would hold little for me I am pleasantly
surprised and rewarded with new knowledge.

Split the listserve? Limit the current one to a topic line to reflect a
small group's narrow interest? Oh, how impoverished we would
become.

Again, if you aren't interested in the topic; if you are tired of a
discussion: HIT THE DELETE KEY. Don't impoverish others because your
interests of the moment are not consistent with everyone's.

If you would like to see firsthand what splitting the listserve would be
like, go to Siler's page www.birdingonthe.net and check out the
situation for Florida (4 groups).

Read the subjects of recent posts to Colorado's 2 lists below. From
most of the subject lines it's kinda hard to tell which is which, isn't
it? Main difference is the number of particpants.

Colorado A

01 Sep Information Request on Oaxaca Mexico [Toni Rautus ]
1 Sep Yard Birds ["Norma Erickson" ]
1 Sep Cassin's Vireo, Townsend's Warbler, El Paso County ["Tracy
Bookman" ]
1 Sep Request for car-pooling ["Nick Komar" ]
1 Sep Ploosters! ["William H Kaempfer" ]
01 Sep Chukkar east of Boulder [Myron & Suzi Plooster ]
1 Sep Lewis's Woodpecker and other migrants, Larimer co. [Arvind
Panjabi ]
1 Sep AVAS website updated ["Leon Bright" ]
01 Sep Yard birds Western tanagers [Myron & Suzi Plooster ]
31 Aug Ruffed Grouse??? [Ernest Maples ]
1 Sep Colorado RBA, September 1, 2005 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
31 Aug DFO meeting, Sept. 7 []
31 Aug fossil creek , larimer county 8/31 ["jason ryan" ]
31 Aug Stearns Lake, 8/31 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
31 Aug Colorado RBA, August 31, 2005 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
30 Aug Cherry Creek State Park Warblers ["Bob Brown" ]
30 Aug Colorado RBA, August 30, 2005 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
29 Aug Bioblitz count coming up ["Skot Latona" ]
29 Aug Eurasian Collard-dove North of Ft Lupton off Hwy 85 [Jeremy
Francisco ]
29 Aug Stearns Lake, 8/29 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
29 Aug Sage thrasher family, Delta County ["Bill / Cheryl Day" ]
29 Aug Laughing Gull @ Ft. Collins ["Dixie R. Smith" ]
29 Aug Gunnison Townsend's Warbler and Cassin's Vireo []
28 Aug Taiga Merlins-RMNP/8/28/05 ["Joe Elliott" ]
29 Aug Colorado RBA, August 29, 2005 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
28 Aug Great Boulder-Larimer Raptors [Scott Taylor ]
28 Aug Magnificent Hummingbirds updates-Bad News [Jeff Webster ]
28 Aug Chico Basin Ranch Saturday []
28 Aug Larimer and Weld counties - 8/28 []
28 Aug found men's eyeglasses at Walden/Sawhill ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
28 Aug DFO members []
28 Aug Cherry Creek State Park Sunday ["Bob Brown" ]
28 Aug Terrible News from NM []
28 Aug Colorado RBA, August 28, 2005 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
27 Aug County lists update (lifetime and horizontal) for September [Mark
Peterson ]
27 Aug black vulture pics and RFI ["Bev Baker" ]
27 Aug Fwd: Evening Grossbeaks [Donna Emmons ]
27 Aug Walden Ponds, Boulder County, 27 August 2005 ["Ted Floyd" ]
27 Aug Sabine's Gull and Red Phalarope at Barr Lake ["Glenn Walbek" ]
27 Aug Yellow-crowned Night-heron re-found today at Carp Lake (El Paso
County) - pictures ["Jeff J Jones" ]
27 Aug Colorado RBA, August 27, 2005 ["JOYCE TAKAMINE" ]
26 Aug Friday birding in NE Colorado... ["Joey Kellner" ]
25 Aug Boulder County Thursday []
25 Aug CFO Sprague's and Gyr trips [Nathan Pieplow ]
25 Aug Black Vulture update ["Duane Nelson" ]
25 Aug FW: Yellow-crowned Nigh-Heron still at Carp Lake ["Jeff J Jones" ]
25 Aug Pheucticus ID []
25 Aug Lakewood -- escaped parrot ["Nancy Burek" ]
25 Aug Black Vulture Pics ["Rachel Hopper" ]
25 Aug NPR Morning Edition "Audio Evidence of Ivory-Billed Woodpecker" []
25 Aug ADDENDUM: "BBC Field Trip Sat with Ted Floyd" ["Ted Floyd" ]
24 Aug New Denver member [cheshirekat ]

Colorado B

1 Sep Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA ["suemdorsey AT
juno.com" ]
1 Sep Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA ["suemdorsey AT
juno.com" ]
1 Sep Where did West Nile Virus go? ["suemdorsey AT juno.com" ]
1 Sep Bird banding monitors [Gary Zeeto ]
01 Sep How Are Gas Prices Affecting Birding? ["Gary Lefko" ]
01 Sep New Wyoming Birding Website ["Gary Lefko" ]
31 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA [Lisa Novin ]
30 Aug Tuesday Warblers [Lisa Novin ]
30 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA [Lisa Novin ]
29 Aug Townsend's Warbler in Gunnison [Steve Owdom ]
30 Aug Stilt Sandpiper (3) at Wellington SWA (Larimer) ["Gary Lefko" ]
29 Aug No Subject []
29 Aug Pawnee NG [Steve Spencer ]
29 Aug Lost falconry bird south of DIA [Lisa Novin ]
29 Aug Birds at Rocky Mountain National park ["Stan Roth" ]
29 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA [Lisa Novin ]
29 Aug Proposed Colorful Colorado Birding Trail Logo ["Gary Lefko" ]
28 Aug Great Black-backed Gull and Yellow-crowned Night-Heron ["Richard
Stevens" ]
28 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA [Lisa Novin ]
27 Aug Egrets (20) Boulder County ["Gary Lefko" ]
27 Aug Additional Saturday birds [Lisa Novin ]
27 Aug Chatfield Reservoir []
26 Aug Interesting Bird Sightings 8/19 to 8/26 [Lisa Novin ]
26 Aug Sage Thrashers and N. Mockingbird at Doudy Draw [Lisa Novin ]
26 Aug Past Philadelphia Vireo sightings [Lisa Novin ]
26 Aug Philadelphia Vireo sighting ["Roger Danka" ]
26 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report ["Richard Stevens" ]
26 Aug North Park birding this week! ["Richard Stevens" ]
26 Aug Northern Colorado Thursday ["Richard Stevens" ]
26 Aug Great Egret (2) St Vrain State Park (Weld) ["Gary Lefko" ]
25 Aug Colorado Statewide Morning Bird Report & RBA ["suemdorsey AT
juno.com" ]
25 Aug MacGillivray's Warbler at WCR 120 (Weld)/ Osprey (2) Ft Collins
["Gary Lefko" ]
24 Aug Barr Lake [Steve Spencer ]
24 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA ["suemdorsey AT
juno.com" ]
24 Aug Black Vulture & Red Knot ["suemdorsey AT juno.com" ]
23 Aug No Black Vulture ["Leonard Turville" ]
23 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA [Lisa Novin ]
22 Aug North Park Bird Trip ["Bryan Ehlmann" ]
22 Aug Townsends Warbler, Purple Martins, etc ["Roger Danka" ]
22 Aug Colorado Statewide Noon Bird Report & RBA [Lisa Novin ]
22 Aug Black Vulture at John Martin Res. ["Leonard Turville" ]
22 Aug North Park birding last week ["Richard Stevens" ]
21 Aug Area reservoirs Sunday ["Richard Stevens" ]
21 Aug Sandpipers, Longspurs, Warblers (Cheyenne, WY) ["Gary Lefko" ]
21 Aug Jefferson County birds, additional directions ["suemdorsey AT
juno.com" ]
21 Aug Colorado Statewide Morning Bird Report & RBA ["suemdorsey AT
juno.com" ]
21 Aug Stilt, Least Sandpipers at WCR 124 Ponds (Weld) ["Gary Lefko" ]
20 Aug Yard Chukars (Nunn) ["Gary Lefko" ]
19 Aug Colorado Bird Report & RBA ["donfortney AT juno.com" ]
19 Aug Raptor Release Help Request ["Gary Lefko" ]
18 Aug Colorado Morning Bird Report & RBA [Donna L Fortney ]
18 Aug Chestnut-Sided Warbler/Cassin's Kingbird (Weld) ["Gary Lefko" ]

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO